Financial Impact of Covid 19 on Wednesday 2020/21

Nero

This is a broad educated guess and you can argue with some of the figures but that really isn't the point. The impact for us but mainly Chansiri is probably about £10m. For some Championship clubs that is probably an existential threat.

With no fans coming anywhere soon, except on the kop maybe, make no mistake that we currently are not a going concern even by the hideously skewed world of football finances. As the cliché says, Chansiri and other owners have to keep writing even bigger cheques for the losses every month or we go under. 

image.png.855c6dbe2673332002baacc8ae56a9e4.png 

• Thanks 1

Presumably we are still account for Reach, JVA, Rhodes, Luongo + any fees we have paid this season or loan fees. 

Isn't also the sky money down because last season we paid a £10m rebate across the league presumably the payment received will be less

it seriously time for pay cuts across footballers while less than 50% of fans aren't allowed

• 35% in Prem
  • 20% in Champ
  • 10% in League 1
  • 5% in League 2

Some lower paid youth players etc should be excemp

Half of the money from Prem is then paid split across the 3 lower divisions to the club to help cover the shortfall.

Of couse this won't happen because footballers have a strong union unlike all us mugs who have let our right be eroded.  I can see double digits of clubs going bust over next six months without some serious help, which will impact on fans losing any money owned on tickets etc, never mind the potential complete loss of their local club.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Nero said:

This is a broad educated guess and you can argue with some of the figures but that really isn't the point. The impact for us but mainly Chansiri is probably about £10m. For some Championship clubs that is probably an existential threat.

With no fans coming anywhere soon, except on the kop maybe, make no mistake that we currently are not a going concern even by the hideously skewed world of football finances. As the cliché says, Chansiri and other owners have to keep writing even bigger cheques for the losses every month or we go under. 

image.png.855c6dbe2673332002baacc8ae56a9e4.png 

But apart from minimal Eleven and Taxi firm he doesn't write cheques.

He makes personal loans which have been repaid to him via sale of stadium to an entity he owns.

And rent on Hillsborough is now £3 million annually , making financial situation and FFP even worse.

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

But apart from minimal Eleven and Taxi firm he doesn't write cheques.

He makes personal loans which have been repaid to him via sale of stadium to an entity he owns.

And rent on Hillsborough is now £3 million annually , making financial situation and FFP even worse.

I don't believe stadium costs count towards P&S

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I’ve way more sympathy for our local shops and businesses right now than I have for some gazillionaire who pays players and agents millions to make them even richer millionaires 

I don't think its about sympathy really. More just hoping that its not a reason for rich owners to pull the plug on clubs. Its the fans that suffer.

I think figures re ifollow are completely wrong in figures above.

I am certain club get 100% of revenue from ifollow. We normally get no income from away games. If 5,000 dial into away matches and think this is well on low side. It means £50,000 of income. Thus it is likely we will get over £1,000,000 from away games this season. 

I also suspect alot of southern based wednesday fans who can not get to every game will log into home games. 

3 hours ago, nickywire said:

it seriously time for pay cuts across footballers while less than 50% of fans aren't allowed

• 35% in Prem
  • 20% in Champ
  • 10% in League 1
  • 5% in League 2

Some lower paid youth players etc should be excemp

Half of the money from Prem is then paid split across the 3 lower divisions to the club to help cover the shortfall.

Of couse this won't happen because footballers have a strong union unlike all us mugs who have let our right be eroded.  I can see double digits of clubs going bust over next six months without some serious help, which will impact on fans losing any money owned on tickets etc, never mind the potential complete loss of their local club.

I have heard people on radio saying Government should help out football.

As a taxpayer I would be appalled if Government propped up football when players at top 2 levels are on so, so much money.

Players Union should ask members to take a pay cut before any Government help if at all.

I have been furloughed and took a 20% pay cut. I dont think it's too much to ask footballers (especially those at top end) to do the same.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have heard people on radio saying Government should help out football.

As a taxpayer I would be appalled if Government propped up football when players at top 2 levels are on so, so much money.

Players Union should ask members to take a pay cut before any Government help if at all.

I have been furloughed and took a 20% pay cut. I dont think it's too much to ask footballers (especially those at top end) to do the same.

I would be happy for the Government to help out any clubs owned by supporter trusts as in my mind, they are community projects. Those owned by rich or supposedly rich (DC?) can dig into their own pockets or watch their investments disappear whilst football collapses back into a sensible business model.

Nobody is coming to bail out my business and nor should they. I've been taking the profits out of it for years so it's my problem.

Edited by londonowl
  • Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 13:09, heppers said:

The funny thing is we have been docked 12 points at a time when clubs will need to break FFP just to survive. What happens then?

Simple, most other clubs will get a 12 point deduction we leapfrog into 2nd place and up we go.

In fairness though sure if clubs do breach we would have something to say.

Good article on the BBC looks like EFL have asked for 350m from the PL. If I was a PL club would be reluctant as how would the EFL or clubs ever pay it back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54284737

14 hours ago, londonowl said:

I would be happy for the Government to help out any clubs owned by supporter trusts as in my mind, they are community projects. Those owned by rich or supposedly rich (DC?) can dig into their own pockets or watch their investments disappear whilst football collapses back into a sensible business model.

Nobody is coming to bail out my business and nor should they. I've been taking the profits out of it for years so it's my problem.

Think a solution could be Government offer loans at decent rates of interest to lower league clubs which could be guaranteed by the Premier League. 

Premier League gets some good PR that its helped out lower league clubs without hopefully having to pay anything out.

The Government gets its money back in the end and lower league clubs survive.
But the FA must make clear to lower league clubs who get a loan they must be prudent with the money. I don't want to hear of League 2 clubs making £2m bids for a striker on deadline day to get them promoted.

Guest Mcguigan
On 23/09/2020 at 17:43, Hookowl said:

I don't believe stadium costs count towards P&S

They do, it's an outgoing expense.

Tarting it up and improving infrastructure is exempt but not the rent.