1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Always thought he did it in one of the International competitions, you live n learn. 

That was when he was trying to con a free kick.

Interesting comment from the spurs fan about a six point deduction

Says on Wikipedia it was a 12 point deduction

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C._season?wprov=sfla1

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, parajack said:

From memory i think he was getting stick for allegedly going down too easily,and 'theatrically' on challenge,when he came to the English Leagues...hence his amusing response...

Ahh rite a German with a sense of humour, I don't believe you lol.

(I do believe you) 

29 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Would agree with you that getting rid of RA was the worst decision since Mrs Hitler said to Mr Hitler "Do you fancy an early night, lover boy"?

Your last sentence is pure speculation and something we can only ponder on.

Speculation and differences of opinion. 
What are the chances of that on a football fans forum.

lol

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Yeah but some dress it up as fact

I openly add to knowing nothing. 

I’ll take it a step further and use a phrase that served Arsene Wenger well over the years.

I didn’t see it. Ironically he probably had a birds eye view of this very subject matter.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

Only with us 12 months and he single handledly destroyed the club, and ultimately put us where we are now.

What total and utter nonsense that demonstrates clearly how objective you are on this subject.

So it was Di Canio's fault that the club had squandered the Charterhouse millions, signed mediocre players, mis-managed the assets they had and appointed a hopeless manager? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

What total and utter nonsense that demonstrates clearly how objective you are on this subject.

So it was Di Canio's fault that the club had squandered the Charterhouse millions, signed mediocre players, mis-managed the assets they had and appointed a hopeless manager? 

I accept I'm not objective. I hate the man. Hate this constant love in for a player who achieved feck all with us, and was only here 12 months.

For me what happened, was him trying to orchestrate a transfer out of a club, which he subsequently walked out of, and the club spiralled out of control from that day. A classic example of a player thinking he was bigger than the club.

Yes there were problems before and after that day. 

Buying Di Canio for £4.5 million was supposed to gaurentee success. Imagine who else we could have spent the money on back then, and have not ended up in the mess we've been in for 25 years?

He wasn't the only other poor buy back then. Wim Jonk who hit the deck before the Di Canio melt down was another useless signing, similar to Almen Abdi and his impact on Wednesday.

In both scenarios a poor transfer policy lead to demise.

7 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

For me what happened, was him trying to orchestrate a transfer out of a club, which he subsequently walked out of, and the club spiralled out of control from that day. A classic example of a player thinking he was bigger than the club.

There's no getting away from the fact that Di Canio was unstable, that there would always be melodrama and that he had a history of falling out with people. No one is suggesting he was innocent. Obviously the Alcock incident was self-indulgent, pointless and damaging childishness. But it seems to me that in the aftermath he faithfully did what was required of him, even arranging his own representation at the disciplinary hearing which major figures at the club couldn't be bothered with. He wanted to continue training at the club (Petter Rudi confirmed this in a recent interview and felt there was no need for him being treated as he was) and sought talks to clear the air. In return, the club lied about not knowing where he was after telling him to go back to Italy themselves. Former club secretary Graham Mackrell is on the record saying that the board probably got it wrong but without going into detail.

They knew Di Canio wouldn't put up with that for long, as indeed he didn't. Then they made it look like it was what he'd sought all along and sold the gullible with waffle about disrespecting the shirt which often resonates easily with the masses. If they wanted to get rid of him, their duty was to try and realise as much of a return as possible, even if that meant swallowing something hard and jagged for a few weeks. Instead, they achieved the opposite and we've been paying the price of this (and other examples of mismanagement) ever since.

It seems pretty clear that the financial malaise was setting in well before this nonsense and this was another significant loss on the balance sheet. A few months later we went through a similar pantomime with Carbone and at a stroke our two most threatening players were gone, resulting in a feeble capitulation of our Premier League status before the days when you received bundles of cash for being useless. But before that happened, the chief architect of the collapse had deserted the sinking ship for his new job at the FA and I don't know that he has ever publicly addressed the situation since.

• Like 3
On 23/09/2020 at 11:21, wednesdaywizard said:

The club didn't support him; Richards wanted his premier league gig.  Arguably the start of our downfall and how West Ham profited from our mismanagement.

Great player.  The pain never goes away.

I’ll never forget Harry red Knapp slating him for pushing the ref only to sign him for west ham.I remember he was supposed to come back for the game at home against Leicester only for him to not turn up. He never played for us again😩

• Like 1

Played nearly 3 times as many games for West Ham than he did for us so they are more entitled to say he’s there’s than we are to say he’s ours. West Ham are the only team he made over 80 appearances for which says a lot about his inability to settle or become part of a team.

Or downturn in form and poor recruitment had started well bit before his episode with the ref but what happened subsequently with him and then Carbone not playing were the final nails in our coffin to decline. Their acts were selfish and did the club no favours and the money lost together with the void they left in the squad was tough to fill.

On 23/09/2020 at 12:44, FreshOwl said:

Top 10 to ever play in the PL? Come off it, never heard such BS

I could possibly name 10 players around today that are better.

He had the flair but he couldn't drag us from mediocrity and wednesday and west ham were his level at that stage of his career.

He was good but not that good. His tekkers and personality made you notice him but i thought Waddle was better.

13 hours ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

I’ll never forget Harry red Knapp slating him for pushing the ref only to sign him for west ham.I remember he was supposed to come back for the game at home against Leicester only for him to not turn up. He never played for us again😩

I remember this being the beginning of the end of our PL existence...

i wasin america at the time he was sold to west ham for peanuts . i was gutted .. cant say since ive been bothered who has left. maybe if forestieri was sold 4 years ago i would have been upset too but in hinesight we should have sold him to fulham for 12-15 million what was been offered at the time. 

4 minutes ago, Animis said:

Other than West Ham, his career was fairly medico. Played 534 games and returned 126 goals - 1 goal per 4.24 games, or 9 goals per season average.

Hardly Henry level is it.

Yet people still regard him years later, so must have had something.

Pure entertainment 

• Like 1