Talk Sport 10.30am this morning. West Ham fans ringing in about the standard of signings and how they haven't had a good one since Di Canio. This was then followed up by how Di Canio was a club legend and how he is worshipped by West Ham fans. A little later on Talk Sport 2 the topic was the best players ever in the premier league and yet again Di Canio was in the top 10. When the subject then changed to the best foreign player to have played in the premier league he was voted 6th. Stuart Pearce and Dennis Wise then referred to him as the greatest player ever never to play for his country. On hearing this it made me realise how quickly he's been forgot about by everyone to do with Wednesday and how we let an absolute world class player go for peanuts. I think it was in the range of 2 million. Someone on here recently posted the question which Wednesday player in the past was too good to play for us? I think Di Canio is clearly the benchmark. 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

Talk Sport 10.30am this morning. West Ham fans ringing in about the standard of signings and how they haven't had a good one since Di Canio. This was then followed up by how Di Canio was a club legend and how he is worshipped by West Ham fans. A little later on Talk Sport 2 the topic was the best players ever in the premier league and yet again Di Canio was in the top 10. When the subject then changed to the best foreign player to have played in the premier league he was voted 6th. Stuart Pearce and Dennis Wise then referred to him as the greatest player ever never to play for his country. On hearing this it made me realise how quickly he's been forgot about by everyone to do with Wednesday and how we let an absolute world class player go for peanuts. I think it was in the range of 2 million. Someone on here recently posted the question which Wednesday player in the past was too good to play for us? I think Di Canio is clearly the benchmark. 

You also have to ask the question why he never played for any of the top teams in Europe or for his country, at a time when Italy were struggling for forwards?. 

Skill wise his name should be mentioned in the same list as: Best, Cruyf, Pele, Eusebio, Puskas, B Charlotn, Messi etc all true world class players who won trophies.

But he isn't, even great man managers like Ferguson and Wenger would not have him in their squads.

Edited by adelphi1867
  • Like 2

Brilliant and exciting player as was Carbone too but neither had the top class pedigree of Roland Nilsson or Chris Waddle. That said, Italy was blessed at the time with a lot of quality number 10's, neither were close to representing them and they weren't as highly regarded in their home country as they were over here.

That's not to take away their excitement and quality as players at the time, they both impacted the Premier League and were exceptional over here but I don't think they were in the same level of pedigree as Roland Nilsson, Chris Waddle and Des Walker, in particular. If they had been international regulars that might have made them a lot harder to sign, even though in the 90s we had quite a lot of international players. It's hard to believe we're still the same club that once had top class players within my lifetime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, EasyPeez said:

Di Canio was an exciting player, but 6th best foreign player in Prem history?!

Off the top of my head - Cantona, Henry, Bergkamp, Zola, Aguero, Van Nistelrooy, Silva, Ronaldo, Drogba and Hazard. There’s reason enough that he shouldn’t be in the top 10, and that’s without even looking at players other than forwards.

Where was Roland Nilsson in this list? 

Was just about to post the same. Fantastic player but I wouldn't even have him in the top 20 of all time great premier league players.

• Like 4
54 minutes ago, RevOwl said:

image.png.a8f63d334cdd419bceeba4ede2445d21.png

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

The club didn't support him; Richards wanted his premier league gig.  Arguably the start of our downfall and how West Ham profited from our mismanagement.

Great player.  The pain never goes away.

Ended up a bit of a double wammy too becouse Carbone spat his dummy out and was a total passenger till he shuffled off to villa. 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

You also have to ask the question why he never played for any of the top teams in Europe or for his country, at a time when Italy were struggling for forwards?. 

Skill wise his name should be mentioned in the same list as: Best, Cruyf, Pele, Eusebio, Puskas, B Charlotn, Messi etc all true world class players who won trophies.

But he isn't, even great man managers like Ferguson and Wenger would not have him in their squads.

He did play for some of the top Italian clubs. Napoli, Lazio, Juventus, AC Milan and fell out with every single one of them!

I don't think it was any surprise that left Wednesday under a cloud, I remember people at the time saying enjoy him while you can as something will happen and he will be gone.

Think he just saw Wednesday as a stop gap and wanted to move to a London club and used the Alcock incident to do that (I don't think the Alcock incident was premeditated).

The club didn't handle it well though.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

It's well documented that Ferguson tried to sign him at least twice.

I think you're confusing him with David Hirst; did you know he nearly signed for ManUre 

:ghoulguy:

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Was just about to post the same. Fantastic player but I wouldn't even have him in the top 20 of all time great premier league players.

When I've seen this kind of thing done on major websites or publications, Di Canio normally rates somewhere in the 50s/60s overall for Premier League players. 

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

When I've seen this kind of thing done on major websites or publications, Di Canio normally rates somewhere in the 50s/60s overall for Premier League players. 

About right. Maybe slightly higher. But to have a player with no international caps sixth on a list is ridiculous.