Fulham -V- Wednesday (League Cup) OMDT

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Are either good enough for the Championship?

Ive seen very little to say they are. Potential? Yes. But not ready. 

Thing is somewhere down the line we’ll need them to be ready. There probably will be another exodus of players at the end of the season regardless of what division we’ll be in and we’ll need the Academy lads to be ready then?

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

I know it's en vogue to bash modern football, but if it were truly possible to play 3 games at the highest level in 8 days, don't you think a top team would have figured out how and bene blitzing the world by doing it?  Humans aren't robots.  Lactic acid doesn't just vanish in minutes.  It doesn't matter how fit you are, recovery is one of the most important parts of any athlete's training.

When I was running I hit a plateau of fitness I just couldn't get past it. Someone told me to run 3 -5 miles in the morning as well as my normal training schedule in the evening. The difference was incredible, not in terms of speed but in endurance and recovery. I could do a hard 10 mile run and the next day I was ready to go again. OK it's not footbal which uses more muscle groups but I wonder if switching to 2 sessions of training a day would improve recovery. The shorter run doesn't need to be hard, not much more than a jog but it teaches the body that it must recover faster.

I'm sure our training experts are aware of this but I don't see any indication they use it.

It was just something your post brought back to me. I'm sure our fitness experts don't need any advice from me.

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Are either good enough for the Championship?

Ive seen very little to say they are. Potential? Yes. But not ready. 

They have to be Championship ready to give them reasonable contracts ?

That is the thinking that could lose us those players 

Monk playing these lads give them hope they can break through and win a contract 

Shaw Hunt and Dele are going to figure in the first team this season so yes they are Championship ready 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, cbirks said:

They didn't get thrown under the bus, they played really well and made a good show of themselves. 

Played well? It could have been 5-0!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
1 hour ago, mogbad said:

They've gained valuable experience & didn't capitulate after going 2 down.  If anybody threw them under a bus it was the senior pros like Borner, Palmer & Reach who didn't match the youngsters effort & application.

We had no chance of winning. It’s fine giving youngsters games but it should have been a mix of our fitter best players like Bannan and Iorfa alongside the young uns. A better experience for them and actually gives us a slim chance of winning.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

All I can say is you lit must like losing?

I personally hate losing. That was a ridiculous starting eleven and anyone who paid a tennner for that should be refunded by Monk. It was obvious we wouldn’t even score let alone win. 
Im glad some of the young lads did ok. Shaw especially looked decent before my feed packed in, but I still don’t get why we couldn’t have gone for it a bit more.

6 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

We had no chance of winning. It’s fine giving youngsters games but it should have been a mix of our fitter best players like Bannan and Iorfa alongside the young uns. A better experience for them and actually gives us a slim chance of winning.

Why on earth would we do that given our league position?

Owlstalk Shop

9 hours ago, prowl said:

When I was running I hit a plateau of fitness I just couldn't get past it. Someone told me to run 3 -5 miles in the morning as well as my normal training schedule in the evening. The difference was incredible, not in terms of speed but in endurance and recovery. I could do a hard 10 mile run and the next day I was ready to go again. OK it's not footbal which uses more muscle groups but I wonder if switching to 2 sessions of training a day would improve recovery. The shorter run doesn't need to be hard, not much more than a jog but it teaches the body that it must recover faster.

I'm sure our training experts are aware of this but I don't see any indication they use it.

It was just something your post brought back to me. I'm sure our fitness experts don't need any advice from me.

That small run is literally recovery.  That's what professional athletes do.  You're working the lactate out of your muscles.

Just not bothered...

9 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

All I can say is you lit must like losing?

I personally hate losing. That was a ridiculous starting eleven and anyone who paid a tennner for that should be refunded by Monk. It was obvious we wouldn’t even score let alone win. 
Im glad some of the young lads did ok. Shaw especially looked decent before my feed packed in, but I still don’t get why we couldn’t have gone for it a bit more.

It was that obvious that their keeper made at least 4 very good saves 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Why on earth would we do that given our league position?

Because winning breeds confidence. That defeat could set us back. Of course if we beat Bristol on Sunday all will be forgotten but we shall see.

5 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

That small run is literally recovery.  That's what professional athletes do.  You're working the lactate out of your muscles.

Thanks, I've never known the science behind it just the remarkable effect.

If it has the same effct as recovery do our players do it I wonder.