Fulham -V- Wednesday (League Cup) OMDT

Not unexpected. Have to remember we've got a lot of kids in the team and they have put a strong team out tonight. 

I'm not going to critique too much, but think we've mostly done ok. Nobody has let themselves down and still competing. 

At some point we've got to play younger players and this experience will stand them in good stead. Bar a bit of quality from them, it's been fairly even. 

Ultimately though I'd just rather save the players for the league. We are still 8 points behind the pack. If and when we have a 3-4 spell without a win which could happen to any team at any point in the Champ we could suddenly be well behind again. Honestly happy to get out of this cup and let some youngsters have a go. If it's an absolute disaster then it's not like any of the first team played to suddenly 'lose momentum' or 'lose morale'. 

• Like 2

Just now, Holmowl said:

Score line flatters Fulham but you can’t defend like that. Borner terribly out of position time and time again. 

Moses our best player, with credit to Reach, Joey and FDB.

Very impressed with FDB’s power and acceleration. Got to be knocking on the door.

Out midfield looks orite tbf worst player on pitch dare I say borner.

I've enjoyed watching pessy today been orite think he's learned a  few things off bannan 

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

And then when Bannan and Windas get injured and we lose anyway what do we gain?  I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about the Carabao Cup.  We've got zero chance of winning it, there's no money to be made from it, it's just a distraction from what is going to be an incredibly tough league season!

Would love to hear Brian cloughs response to that. 

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Ultimately though I'd just rather save the players for the league. We are still 8 points behind the pack. If and when we have a 3-4 spell without a win which could happen to any team at any point in the Champ we could suddenly be well behind again. Honestly happy to get out of this cup and let some youngsters have a go. If it's an absolute disaster then it's not like any of the first team played to suddenly 'lose momentum' or 'lose morale'. 

I guarantee when we get to 0 points there will be atleast another 2-3 teams on 0-3 points we will be ok 

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

You can't protect a football player from tough games or defeat, especially with a squad as thin as ours. 

This is the League Cup, its only value to us is giving game time to some of our younger players, the one's we'll no doubt have to call on as the season progresses. 

So many ways to look at it I guess, it's a successful manager that gets it right

Just now, yeadonowl said:

He just stood and watched Reid for the second goal. He is diving in all over the pitch as well

You can see he’s trying to do others jobs for them. 

The second goal though, he switches off because he expects if the cross does come over there’s no way it gets past Wildsmith, but I think Wildsmith gets his angles wrong too

Waldock turned way too easy, Wildsmith angles wrong and Börner switching off...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, striker said:

Not unexpected. Have to remember we've got a lot of kids in the team and they have put a strong team out tonight. 

I'm not going to critique too much, but think we've mostly done ok. Nobody has let themselves down and still competing. 

At some point we've got to play younger players and this experience will stand them in good stead. Bar a bit of quality from them, it's been fairly even. 

Our team should have been stronger

A real chance here

Another season of maybes

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

Out midfield looks orite tbf worst player on pitch dare I say borner.

I've enjoyed watching pessy today been orite think he's learned a  few things off bannan 

Did you enjoy his Bannan pirouette halfway thru?

Sounds like a decent performance so far on the whole just a lack of decisiveness in either box which is often the difference between levels. 

Can't knock Monk for giving the kids another chance, I think it's better to reward them for previous good performance rather than bin them off for the senior pros as soon as we come up against any decent team. Even if they do get caned it's a decent lesson for them and I doubt it would be detrimental to them long term at all, quite the opposite in fact.

It also shields the first team from a similar caning which could be much more damaging to our league season which is the overwhelming priority this season in particular. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lomas613 said:

I guarantee when we get to 0 points there will be atleast another 2-3 teams on 0-3 points we will be ok 

I think it'll take us another 5-6 games to get back to plus points personally. Especially with our limited resources. So much work to do in the league to try and be comfortable. I believe the players will give it their all but ultimately I still think we are a bottom 6 sort of side because of this deduction. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jim said:

I would’ve played Shaw and FDB from the start and brought Bannan and Iorfa into the starting 11 but it would’ve been more of a mix and match of sorts than tonight’s starting 11.

Should have played a much stronger defence but hey ho

• Like 1