What type of Owl do you associate with the club?

Bez

18 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

That's  a weird little story, so you was in the wilds of Bodmin Moor and an Owl was just happened to be casually strolling around when you ran over it?  

Wasn't you worried about the marshy bogs?  And isn't that Hound of The Baskervilles terrority?  Do you do much of this midnight moor patrolling? 

We need to know more.  And have you seen the Hound?

lestrade leave it to sherlock, he normally makes you look a dumpling.

I’d love to be able to have said that my accidental Owl collision was in the early hours of the 21st April 1991, which would have made it a really spooky event with links to a famous day at Wembley, but unfortunately it was Winter 1993. I always reckoned the aforesaid Eagle Owl was feasting on some recently captured prey in the middle of the road, hence completely unaware of the approaching danger of my vehicle and its half asleep driver. Still amazed to this day that he flew off unscathed. That’s Owls for you! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, slow83 said:

I’d always thought we were officially Tawny owls but don’t know why.

Tricky one. The avatar crest looks like a tawny, but the traditional crest is more like one of the horned owl species. Tbh I think the latter are more in keeping with Wednesday. Ruthless, fearsome predator. Rather than cuddly looking tawny! Mind you, we’ve not been ruthless for a while. Maybe it’s about to change! What sort of Owl would Monk be?

Edited by Devonstrix

5 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

Tricky one. The avatar crest looks like a tawny, but the traditional crest is more like one of the horned owl species. Tbh I think the latter are more in keeping with Wednesday. Ruthless, fearsome predator. Rather than cuddly looking tawny! Mind you, we’ve not been ruthless for a while. Maybe it’s about to change! What sort of Owl would Monk be?

Tawny Owls are our most aggressive owl species though, especially around nesting season. Pioneering wildlife photographer Eric Hosking lost one of his eyes thanks to a Tawny Owl.

19 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Tawny Owls are our most aggressive owl species though, especially around nesting season. Pioneering wildlife photographer Eric Hosking lost one of his eyes thanks to a Tawny Owl.

Surely the European Eagle Owl is the top predator? Quite a lot in the UK now and even in Yorkshire. Will take on foxes etc. I think that’s what’s in the brilliant video clip earlier in the thread. Would put the fear of god up me if one swooped down on me!!

4 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

Surely the European Eagle Owl is the top predator? Quite a lot in the UK now and even in Yorkshire. Will take on foxes etc. I think that’s what’s in the brilliant video clip earlier in the thread. Would put the fear of god up me if one swooped down on me!!

It takes bigger food - and even predates other species of owl - but in general isn't especially aggressive whereas the Tawny is. Out of the European species the Ural Owl wins the aggression award, and they're basically a Tawny Owl on steroids. There's still debate about whether the Eurasian Eagle Owl is a British species or not (they are still not accepted on the BOU's British List, except as a Category E species, i.e. a non self-sustaining introduced or escaped species).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

I’d love to be able to have said that my accidental Owl collision was in the early hours of the 21st April 1991, which would have made it a really spooky event with links to a famous day at Wembley, but unfortunately it was Winter 1993. I always reckoned the aforesaid Eagle Owl was feasting on some recently captured prey in the middle of the road, hence completely unaware of the approaching danger of my vehicle and its half asleep driver. Still amazed to this day that he flew off unscathed. That’s Owls for you! 

I think you've got the year wrong, it was the end of the 20th Century, everything since then has been your fault.

You injured the Mighty Owl and it has been comatosed ever since.

It is still slowly healing and one day (hopefully bloody soon) when least expected it will again spread it's wings and soar high.

No Prey will be spared (Pigs will be particular victims)  as the Mighty Owl spreads fear not only throughout England but also Europe.

It's only a matter of time Believe.

Right time for my Meds before Bed.

The Comatose Owl!

Edited by OWL1969