RIP Johnny Quinn - THE MIGHTY QUINN

10 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

By combining Wednesday, a great player and Bob Dylan’s music, that song was probably my favourite terrace chant growing up.

RIP Mighty Quinn

i know the rovrum fans sang  it but  dont ever recall us singing it, quinny left in nov 67 and song wasnt released until jan 68 .

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i know the rovrum fans sang  it but  dont ever recall us singing it, quinny left in nov 67 and song wasnt released until jan 68 .

Well spotted, I wonder why our old man was always singing it then because he always disliked RUFC. 

Saying that he was always singing You'll Never Walk Alone as well. lol

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

we got him on a free  from celtic he fitted in well with the rest of the crap we had while he was here ......think i remember reading that he dropped dead at a youngish age . 

Echoes of Phil O'Donnell

Don't really remember Jimmy Quinn but i remember virtually every other player in that team - strange

Just now, scram said:

Echoes of Phil O'Donnell

Don't really remember Jimmy Quinn but i remember virtually every other player in that team - strange

I haven’t thought of him for years but he just came to mind when reading that Johnny Quinn left before The Mighty Quinn was released.

Just checked up and he died in 2002 aged 55

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

He played 46 times in seasons - 74-75 & 75-76

I remember him being a fairly exciting left-back in an awful side. 

No way was Jimmy Quinn an ‘exciting left back ‘

He was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

If he ever was a footballer it certainly wasn’t in a blue and white shirt  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

No way was Jimmy Quinn an ‘exciting left back ‘

He was one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

If he ever was a footballer it certainly wasn’t in a blue and white shirt  

Jimmy Quinn, the grandson of the Celtic legend of the same name (Jimmy Quinn), was a versatile performer who signed for the Hoops as a youngster in November 1963 from Holy Cross Croy Boys Guild.  

Kilsyth-born Jimmy made a surprise debut for the Bhoys as a sub in a 2-2 league draw with Rangers at Parkhead on January 2nd 1968. Best of all was that Jimmy was a member of the much lauded Quality Street Gang, where he played amongst some of the finest talent around in Scotland all of whom were at Celtic (e.g. George Connelly, Dalglish, Connelly etc) and made life-long friends with many of them.

Despite being gifted with phenomenal pace Jimmy never really established himself as a first team regular, although he wasn't helped by frequent injuries.

In the spring of 1968 he scored his only goal for Celtic in a match against Kilmarnock in a 6-0 demolition at Rugby Park but despite that good fortune, from then on until 1970 he was to remain on the fringes of the first team. 

He scored a magnificent goal against Rangers at Hampden in August 1970 in the Glasgow Cup Final when Celtic's young side thrashed Rangers 3-1. 

In October 1970 Jock Stein converted him to a left back after a spell in the reserves and he was called in as no.3 for the League Cup Final on October 24th 1970 which Celtic surprisingly lost 1-0.

In the 1971/72 season he had a settled run at left back and played at Methil against East Fife on April 15th 1972 when Celtic won their seventh consecutive league title. He started the 1972/73 season as first choice left back but lost his place after injury. 

He played against Partick in November 1973 on the day when Dixie Deans scored 6 of Celtic's 7 goals against Partick Thistle but appearances became rarer and he made his final game against Aberdeen on 29th April 1974. 

After 41 appearances and one goal he was released by the club in December 1974. He went on to briefly play for Sheffield Wednesday and Hamilton.

Overall, he had it hard as having a legendary footballer in the family (his grandfather) meant he had a lot to live up to as comparisons are unfairly inevitable. Nevertheless, Jimmy Quinn worked hard and made the best of what he could, and got to play for Celtic in a golden era for the club.

He died prematurely in middle age but was never forgotten, with many well-known faces arriving to pay their respects on his last journey, including Billy McNeill (his old captain), Davie Hay and George Connelly. 

1 hour ago, BIG D said:

Jimmy Quinn, the grandson of the Celtic legend of the same name (Jimmy Quinn), was a versatile performer who signed for the Hoops as a youngster in November 1963 from Holy Cross Croy Boys Guild.  

Kilsyth-born Jimmy made a surprise debut for the Bhoys as a sub in a 2-2 league draw with Rangers at Parkhead on January 2nd 1968. Best of all was that Jimmy was a member of the much lauded Quality Street Gang, where he played amongst some of the finest talent around in Scotland all of whom were at Celtic (e.g. George Connelly, Dalglish, Connelly etc) and made life-long friends with many of them.

Despite being gifted with phenomenal pace Jimmy never really established himself as a first team regular, although he wasn't helped by frequent injuries.

In the spring of 1968 he scored his only goal for Celtic in a match against Kilmarnock in a 6-0 demolition at Rugby Park but despite that good fortune, from then on until 1970 he was to remain on the fringes of the first team. 

He scored a magnificent goal against Rangers at Hampden in August 1970 in the Glasgow Cup Final when Celtic's young side thrashed Rangers 3-1. 

In October 1970 Jock Stein converted him to a left back after a spell in the reserves and he was called in as no.3 for the League Cup Final on October 24th 1970 which Celtic surprisingly lost 1-0.

In the 1971/72 season he had a settled run at left back and played at Methil against East Fife on April 15th 1972 when Celtic won their seventh consecutive league title. He started the 1972/73 season as first choice left back but lost his place after injury. 

He played against Partick in November 1973 on the day when Dixie Deans scored 6 of Celtic's 7 goals against Partick Thistle but appearances became rarer and he made his final game against Aberdeen on 29th April 1974. 

After 41 appearances and one goal he was released by the club in December 1974. He went on to briefly play for Sheffield Wednesday and Hamilton.

Overall, he had it hard as having a legendary footballer in the family (his grandfather) meant he had a lot to live up to as comparisons are unfairly inevitable. Nevertheless, Jimmy Quinn worked hard and made the best of what he could, and got to play for Celtic in a golden era for the club.

He died prematurely in middle age but was never forgotten, with many well-known faces arriving to pay their respects on his last journey, including Billy McNeill (his old captain), Davie Hay and George Connelly. 

Yep . Probably a bit over the top from me .

i think it was the thought of him being mentioned at the same time as the legendary Johnny and the thought that people had a song about him.

Hes not the only player to have had a long career that had a stinker when he played for us.

Sorry.

As Neil says wrong place and time.

• Like 1

Quite a bit  talked here JQ was like a famed Brandy he got better with the passage of time. Jack Marshall moved JQ on to Rotherham no wonder Rotherham sang long and hard of the Mighty Quinn. Quinn had a slot down the left nailed on pushing in home games and more sitting in away games but the song released or not was sung on the Kop. Most were dumbfounded by his surprise transfer to Toytown and sadly we missed two years extended top service as the clubs slide accelerated.