Pitch is slippy

8 hours ago, Nut said:

Can never understand why they do this just before kick off and at half time. 

The foundations of the pitch are made of sand  Underneath the topsoil so they have to keep it wet before play so that it doesn’t just break up when the players studs go in it.

Normally the home coaches can ask for the pitch to be wetter to suit their play more, I know Carlos did this as he liked the ball to fizz across the surface at higher speed with less resistance 

15 minutes ago, Owl14 said:

The foundations of the pitch are made of sand  Underneath the topsoil so they have to keep it wet before play so that it doesn’t just break up when the players studs go in it.

Normally the home coaches can ask for the pitch to be wetter to suit their play more, I know Carlos did this as he liked the ball to fizz across the surface at higher speed with less resistance 

Apparently Monk has asked to move to a higher altitude so the air is thinner and you can kick it Higher and further 

Football boots come with 3 different outsoles. Soft ground (SG) Firm ground (FG) and all ground (AG) Plus astro turf (TF) but they never use those obviously. 

The ones people refer to as 'blades' don't actually exist anymore as they're banned. It was an idea in the 80s/90s that a blade shaped, elongated pyramid shaped stud would allow for better turning, reduce twisting injuries and increase forward speed. Theoretically it does but the downside is they're far more dangerous to an opponent, as seen by the injuries sustained that led to their ban. 

FG is what we used to call moulded, SG is a traditional screw in metal/nylon or hybrid stud. A lot of the SG boots have moulded studs between the screw in studs, generally positioned to allow the boot to come out of the ground during twisting to try and negate the old studs stuck in the turf injuries. AG does what it says on the tin and is a halfway house between the 2. Rarely seen at the moment as its neither fish nor fowl as they say. Plus players have sponsorships that provide any style they want, no need to economise for these lads. 

Most players on the pitch yesterday would have had FG or short studded SG boots on. With the pitch being a desso there could be a directive that long studs can't or shouldn't be worn. It's a fine line between having a boot that will grip and a boot that doesn't and its down to the surface. FG studs have a smaller surface are per stud than SG generally, therefore penetrate firm ground better. SG studs are needed when the ground is softer because even though both types will penetrate, SG penetrate deeper (ooh matron) FG on soft ground just skates over the top, SG on firm ground just skates over the top. 

TL;DR the surface dictates which boot to wear and maybe we got it set up wrong yesterday. 

Edited by latemodelchild
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Owl14 said:

Thanks for the explanation but watering heavily definitely makes it more slippery. Sounds like a bit of a design flaw in the deso pitch if that's the case.

31 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Football boots come with 3 different outsoles. Soft ground (SG) Firm ground (FG) and all ground (AG) Plus astro turf (TF) but they never use those obviously. 

The ones people refer to as 'blades' don't actually exist anymore as they're banned. It was an idea in the 80s/90s that a blade shaped, elongated pyramid shaped stud would allow for better turning, reduce twisting injuries and increase forward speed. Theoretically it does but the downside is they're far more dangerous to an opponent, as seen by the injuries sustained that led to their ban. 

FG is what we used to call moulded, SG is a traditional screw in metal/nylon or hybrid stud. A lot of the SG boots have moulded studs between the screw in studs, generally positioned to allow the boot to come out of the ground during twisting to try and negate the old studs stuck in the turf injuries. AG does what it says on the tin and is a halfway house between the 2. Rarely seen at the moment as its neither fish nor fowl as they say. Plus players have sponsorships that provide any style they want, no need to economise for these lads. 

Most players on the pitch yesterday would have had FG or short studded SG boots on. With the pitch being a desso there could be a directive that long studs can't or shouldn't be worn. It's a fine line between having a boot that will grip and a boot that doesn't and its down to the surface. FG studs have a smaller surface are per stud than SG generally, therefore penetrate firm ground better. SG studs are needed when the ground is softer because even though both types will penetrate, SG penetrate deeper (ooh matron) FG on soft ground just skates over the top, SG on firm ground just skates over the top. 

TL;DR the surface dictates which boot to wear and maybe we got it set up wrong yesterday. 

Surely with the amount of water that the grounds team put on the pitch, all players should always have SG studs in?

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

Surely with the amount of water that the grounds team put on the pitch, all players should always have SG studs in?

Surface water doesn’t necessarily make the ground soft

Plus most players prefer to play in a certain type of stud regardless, only if the ground really requires a different one will they change

13 hours ago, Kevan said:

I have a definite dislike for these "blades" that are prevalent on modern boots.  I'm certain they aren't as effective as the tradional nylon or aluminium screw-in type studs.  This slipping happens across all the professional leagues - didn't Gerrard slip at a vital moment season before last and cost Liverpool a game that could have kept them in contention for the league title?

It just seems ridiculous to me that players keep on using the "blade" type boots.

Think you're losing track of time. 2014

My friend is the groundsman at Middlesbrough,I've been on the pitch quite a few times and suprisingly it's a very hard surface.I spoke to him about it and he says the length of the grass makes it look like it's got plenty of give, but actually its quite firm underneath thats why it doesn't cut up.

As lmc says players sometimes just choose the wrong boots ,some of them try the longer studs but these are a risk because the ground underneath is so firm resulting in blisters,apparently a cardinal sin.

My mates pet hate is the players who slide to celebrate a goal and pull up yards of the surface,drives him nuts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hodgybysea said:

My friend is the groundsman at Middlesbrough,I've been on the pitch quite a few times and suprisingly it's a very hard surface.I spoke to him about it and he says the length of the grass makes it look like it's got plenty of give, but actually its quite firm underneath thats why it doesn't cut up.

As lmc says players sometimes just choose the wrong boots ,some of them try the longer studs but these are a risk because the ground underneath is so firm resulting in blisters,apparently a cardinal sin.

My mates pet hate is the players who slide to celebrate a goal and pull up yards of the surface,drives him nuts.

Thankfully not something we have to deal with at Hillsborough

• Haha 1