Tactics today

3 hours ago, McRightSide said:

“We’d have lost that last season”

Thats got to be a top 5 football cliche. 

It is.

Even in lockdown last season there were games a bit like this that we didn't lose. Forest were in the top 6 when they came to Hillsborough in June, we were the better side first half against them, failed to score then conceded 2nd half but still managed to get a draw. 

Watford on paper have a good squad at this level but the side that faced us yesterday wasn't head and shoulders better than what we put out. Foster is probably the best keeper at this level now but the defence in front of him aren't amazing. Is Chalobah any better than Brown? Cleverley is a decent player but injuries have hampered his career, Murray is better than what we have but needs players around him to be effective and he was very isolated.

They haven't looked convincing in any of their games so far.

Monk won the tactical battle first half no doubt but roles were reversed second half.

The standard of this division is not as strong as it was last season and we were 3rd halfway through that campaign. We shouldn't have anything to fear and it shouldn't be a monumental task to finish more than 12 points above half a dozen teams in this division. We have managed that every season since Stuart Gray was in charge, apart from last season. 

A total lack of a plan B is still a huge problem. I think it was fairly obvious to everyone that we weren't going to break Watford down once we got 10 mins into the 2nd half and then either the inability or unwillingness to change it up meant that come the latter stages, we were hanging on due to the fatigue.

In the past, we’ve shown the opposition too much respect, particularly in home games, starting off timidly and with players seemingly too frightened of making mistakes.

I liked the way we started off on Saturday - with a stronger bench, we might have been able to maintain that through the second half and claim all three points.

Tactics spot on IMHO.

On 20/09/2020 at 02:13, Weshallovercome said:

I thought the taking off of Penney for Palmer and switching Harris to the left unsettled us and we lost impetus.

Plus we should have brought Reach on earlier, but apart from that it was okay.

Right

As soon as Penney got replaced we dropped 10 yards back and stopped pressing, shame as it worked so well for us until then. 

I don’t think it was a plan as it was easy to see that both Bannan and Brown tried to push Harris and Palmer up the pitch to keep up pressing.