Van aken

9 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

This "200" thing. I didn't at the time see it as bigging up Van Aken at all. I read it as being we've been desperately looking for CBs all summer - which must have been the case. Depending on what "look at" means, 200 doesn't seem an awfully big number in this context. 

Exactly.

Our scouting team would have whizzed through the first 199...

1836293837_FootballStickers1.jpg.5a5fdd6258c9dd44409bb1c9f4a9b4d7.jpg

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

It's all about a balanced team. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. What we need is a stable squad and system that plays to JVA and everyones strengths. Without JVA we rely on bannan far to much for the transition to the forward players. This makes it to easy for teams to break up our play. Iorfa and Lees are very capable of making up for the defensive skills JVA is not the best at atm. 

If anyone has written off any of our younger players. They should always remember how fox was once a player who looked like he was never going to be a football player. He was totally different in his last games for us. 

Lees looked to be struggling with being in a back 3. Now he has JVA along side him he looks comfortable. 

Cardiff and Watford are good teams. 2 clean sheets is more than lucky. Also 2 tricky cup games (with different players) without conceding is a good indicator that the squad is set up with clear instructions and objectives for each player. 

This for me is the biggest difference from garry monks reign so far. Last season the balance never looked right. 

Starting the new season on - 12 is a massive penalty. The quicker we get off the bottom of the table the better. If we are going to have a good season we are going to have to be exceptionally consistent and we need a very good defence. We can't afford to concede anywhere near the goals we did last season. 

Good start then two clean sheets in the league and two in the cup...four on the bounce ( five if you include Leicester ).

2 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The idiots that took it as gospel that we scouted 200 defenders are the ones who want shooting!

:ghoulguy:

"I'm starving, I could eat a horse"

"OMG!!!!! he wants to eat a horse!!!!! Him there, that fella, the filthy bar.stard!!! he just said he wants to eat a horse......I feel sick.... my wrists have gone limp....."

Last year I had a look on one of the stats sites and typed centre back 19 - 29  600 names came up. So looking at 200 of them shouldn't be impossible...you do realise you don't need 200 scouts anymore

28 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Last year I had a look on one of the stats sites and typed centre back 19 - 29  600 names came up. So looking at 200 of them shouldn't be impossible...you do realise you don't need 200 scouts anymore

i think the more worrying point is looking at 200 and identifying Van Aken as the one to buy.

However he has got off to a good start this time so good for him

On 19/09/2020 at 19:55, Blatter said:

New contract or move away. He’s putting himself in a good position for either.

Maybe a bit like Fox last season.  Why did he suddenly nearly become the darling of the fanbase.  People usually perform if there's encouragement coming their way.  Any one of us would wilt under a constant barrage of s**t coming their way.  Everyone responds well to encouragement.  He did...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Back three look like a perfect combination. Iorfa and JVA both comfortable in wide areas and can bring the ball out and Lees can sit a bit deeper in the middle where his lack of pace isn’t exposed. Can’t see how you drop any of them ATM even when Dunkley comes back. 

With the re emergence of JVA we’re in a good position really. Means there’s no rush to get Dunkley fully up to speed. 

If Palmer is included we now have six players to cover those three defensive positions before we have to call on the youngsters. The only reason I could see for adding to that would be if an outstanding player became available at sensible money. Priority must now be on the strike force which is desperately lightweight.

i

We’re just a couple of injuries away from major problems up front

On 19/09/2020 at 21:26, Flat Owl said:

Seen off the threat from  Keiffer Moore and Glenn Murray in the last two games.

A few errors but on the whole, really encouraging and composed performances.

He took a knock in the ribs from Murray today but battled through.

Lees in the middle as the stopper allows vA and Dom to play out to the wing backs....Lees concentrates on what he is good at and is no longer our outball from the back.

Yeah Lees and Borner are just good old defenders .. Borner can play a bit of football I guess but they are the central defender of a back 3

On 20/09/2020 at 15:56, oldishowl said:

Plymouth’s captain was called Wootton when Sturrock managed them.

Must be related

That was Paul Wotton - Similar surnames but not related

Think he just more comfortable in a back 3 instead of the traditional 2 in this country? He’ll av grown up playing that system and if your more comfortable and experienced your less likely to make mistakes? When he played in a flat back four he consistently got caught out of position? He also seems to have bulked up a bit which comes with age experience and probably realising he needed to in this league? Early days let’s hope his career can kick on from here just like a few others? The test will come when we eventually come up against someone who will really try and bully them Smith at millwall springs to mind 

15 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

no I wasn’t...he was terrible. He had 1 maybe 2 good games out of 14/15. He was shocking and the pigs game was the last straw. 30,000 other Wednesday fans knew it and so did the manager...only you that still thought “there’s a player in there”. 

🥱 🥱 🥱......get back to fifa or FM. 

You ok there are the drugs not working anymore?

• Haha 1

I think we should be signing players on 8 year contracts from now on; we write off their first 3-4 years, and then get some use out of them for the remaining years.

Van Aken and Rhodes are now world-class but both with only a year left with us.

12 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

You said he played well in his 1st game, he played miles better v Cardiff so that's at least 2 lol.

Also I'd edge my bets you wouldn't have 1 good game in 100 never mind 15.

The monthly award for Key board warrior, for the month of September is awarded to.....coopsswfc76. You’re boring mate. 

says a lot when I’ve only read 2 other posters agreeing with your views. 

• Haha 1