You know that first season Van Aken joined us, he was almost on a hiding to nothing.

We were on the whole, defensively sound, but what none of us realised just how fast it would go south.

We were told that this kid had been scouted and out of nearly 200 people, chosen - he came with a large reputation because of that, and he looked impressive early doors - pinging the ball about with consummate ease.

Then he got held out to dry with a few really bad performances - and no one can deny that he had some very bad performances for us.    BUT he has done ok this season and that's all we can now talk about.    

Lad is doing ok.   

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

so in the first season we signed him, he played 14/15 games...in that time he had 1 good game and an “ok game”!! He was a disaster mate no matter how you try to dress it up.

im glad he’s started the season well and I seriously hope it continues but the justification for him to be previously dropped and subsequently loaned out, was correct. He was very poor and off the pace. 

I'm not dressing anything up I'm not convinced defensively with him but I was just pointing out that his best game for us was before the disaster against them.

I've not got into how I rate him I was just correcting you as you was wrong.

15 hours ago, keepitsteel89 said:

His passing is spot on at times and that causes teams to stretch out more to cover him, it gives Bannan more options to pass forwards instead.. turning into a decent player imo

“at times”

lol

8 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

I'm not dressing anything up I'm not convinced defensively with him but I was just pointing out that his best game for us was before the disaster against them.

I've not got into how I rate him I was just correcting you as you was wrong.

no I wasn’t...he was terrible. He had 1 maybe 2 good games out of 14/15. He was shocking and the pigs game was the last straw. 30,000 other Wednesday fans knew it and so did the manager...only you that still thought “there’s a player in there”. 

🥱 🥱 🥱......get back to fifa or FM. 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

I said the game before that disaster which was Cardiff away not last week when he was ok and this week when he was ok pretty much like his debut when he was ok.

To be clear the game at Cardiff before he had that disaster v them he was outstanding.

Agree... i was at that Cardiff game and he was class. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

no I wasn’t...he was terrible. He had 1 maybe 2 good games out of 14/15. He was shocking and the pigs game was the last straw. 30,000 other Wednesday fans knew it and so did the manager...only you that still thought “there’s a player in there”. 

🥱 🥱 🥱......get back to fifa or FM. 

Totally right. 

I even remember Nixon tweeting ‘Dutch lad needs to sharpen up’ a few games before the Pigs debacle.

Wow, the support for this lad from some of you is the main reason our players are afraid to pull on the shirt. FIFA managers springs to mind, he’s playing well, get off his back FFS and show some much needed support. Slagging players off isnt going to claw back 8 points.

• Thanks 1
Just now, Mr Farrell said:

Spot on. Totally the fans fault.

Not totally, but the abuse does not help one bit. Players play on confidence and constantly slating them will never build confidence. 

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

100%

Our home record would be so much better the last 6 months if the fans got behind the players.

Your sarcasm is almost off the scale here. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Farrell said:

In summary, he's probably not quite as bad as he first appeared, or quite as good as some now painting him.

Either way it benefits the squad and the team.

Whichever idiot said he was the best of 200 scouted though, wants shooting.

The idiots that took it as gospel that we scouted 200 defenders are the ones who want shooting!

:ghoulguy:

"I'm starving, I could eat a horse"

"OMG!!!!! he wants to eat a horse!!!!! Him there, that fella, the filthy bar.stard!!! he just said he wants to eat a horse......I feel sick.... my wrists have gone limp....."

He arrived here aged 23 from another country as has so far made 17 appearances for the club.

I put him in the same bracket as Rhodes in the sense that he's just generally had a weird time at the club so far for various reasons.

New season though and a fresh start, has looked good so far, let's hope he keeps it up.

• Like 1

This "200" thing. I didn't at the time see it as bigging up Van Aken at all. I read it as being we've been desperately looking for CBs all summer - which must have been the case. Depending on what "look at" means, 200 doesn't seem an awfully big number in this context. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

This "200" thing. I didn't at the time see it as bigging up Van Aken at all. I read it as being we've been desperately looking for CBs all summer - which must have been the case. Depending on what "look at" means, 200 doesn't seem an awfully big number in this context. 

Exactly.

Our scouting team would have whizzed through the first 199...

1836293837_FootballStickers1.jpg.5a5fdd6258c9dd44409bb1c9f4a9b4d7.jpg

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

It's all about a balanced team. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. What we need is a stable squad and system that plays to JVA and everyones strengths. Without JVA we rely on bannan far to much for the transition to the forward players. This makes it to easy for teams to break up our play. Iorfa and Lees are very capable of making up for the defensive skills JVA is not the best at atm. 

If anyone has written off any of our younger players. They should always remember how fox was once a player who looked like he was never going to be a football player. He was totally different in his last games for us. 

Lees looked to be struggling with being in a back 3. Now he has JVA along side him he looks comfortable. 

Cardiff and Watford are good teams. 2 clean sheets is more than lucky. Also 2 tricky cup games (with different players) without conceding is a good indicator that the squad is set up with clear instructions and objectives for each player. 

This for me is the biggest difference from garry monks reign so far. Last season the balance never looked right. 

Starting the new season on - 12 is a massive penalty. The quicker we get off the bottom of the table the better. If we are going to have a good season we are going to have to be exceptionally consistent and we need a very good defence. We can't afford to concede anywhere near the goals we did last season. 

Good start then two clean sheets in the league and two in the cup...four on the bounce ( five if you include Leicester ).

2 hours ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

The idiots that took it as gospel that we scouted 200 defenders are the ones who want shooting!

:ghoulguy:

"I'm starving, I could eat a horse"

"OMG!!!!! he wants to eat a horse!!!!! Him there, that fella, the filthy bar.stard!!! he just said he wants to eat a horse......I feel sick.... my wrists have gone limp....."

Last year I had a look on one of the stats sites and typed centre back 19 - 29  600 names came up. So looking at 200 of them shouldn't be impossible...you do realise you don't need 200 scouts anymore

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Last year I had a look on one of the stats sites and typed centre back 19 - 29  600 names came up. So looking at 200 of them shouldn't be impossible...you do realise you don't need 200 scouts anymore

There is no way, even via some kind of online database, that the club ran the rule over 200 individual players, appraising them all stat by stat, even with some kind of algorithm software.    

28 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

i think the more worrying point is looking at 200 and identifying Van Aken as the one to buy.

However he has got off to a good start this time so good for him

On 19/09/2020 at 19:55, Blatter said:

New contract or move away. He’s putting himself in a good position for either.

Maybe a bit like Fox last season.  Why did he suddenly nearly become the darling of the fanbase.  People usually perform if there's encouragement coming their way.  Any one of us would wilt under a constant barrage of s**t coming their way.  Everyone responds well to encouragement.  He did...

• Haha 1