Van aken

I had him, perhaps generously, as my MOTM. He has learned his trade, long may it continue. He still has that pass in him, but now rather than pussyfooting around an attacking forward he has begun to use his physique; Rather than trying to steal the ball, he doesn't take the risk and cleans them out.  Good on him !    

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

He's looking more composed and improved. Playing in a three suits him much more it seems. Hope he continues, along with the rest of the team and squad to impress and work hard. I still look forward to seeing Dunkley but have to be impressed with the team defensively so far, and the improved solidity, energy and work rate we're showing. 

I don't think its playing for a new contract....as in 100% the reason. 

I think its the fact Fletcher, Westwood, Hutch, Wallace, Lee, Nuhui and all the other aged senior pros we've had have gone. There's a lot less pressure on the younger shoulders knowing in the dressing room....the last chance saloon guys won't be upset.

We've needed this for the last 3 years

• Like 2

15 hours ago, York_Owl said:

No, he’s quite good now. 

Plymouth have a defender called Wootton and their fans sing (to the walking in a winter wonderland tune)

He used to be Shiite 

But now he’s alright

thats what you call being damned with faint praise. 

Edited by Devonstrix

It's all about a balanced team. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. What we need is a stable squad and system that plays to JVA and everyones strengths. Without JVA we rely on bannan far to much for the transition to the forward players. This makes it to easy for teams to break up our play. Iorfa and Lees are very capable of making up for the defensive skills JVA is not the best at atm. 

If anyone has written off any of our younger players. They should always remember how fox was once a player who looked like he was never going to be a football player. He was totally different in his last games for us. 

Lees looked to be struggling with being in a back 3. Now he has JVA along side him he looks comfortable. 

Cardiff and Watford are good teams. 2 clean sheets is more than lucky. Also 2 tricky cup games (with different players) without conceding is a good indicator that the squad is set up with clear instructions and objectives for each player. 

This for me is the biggest difference from garry monks reign so far. Last season the balance never looked right. 

Starting the new season on - 12 is a massive penalty. The quicker we get off the bottom of the table the better. If we are going to have a good season we are going to have to be exceptionally consistent and we need a very good defence. We can't afford to concede anywhere near the goals we did last season. 

1 hour ago, Devonstrix said:

Plymouth have a defender called Wootton and their fans sing (to the walking in a winter wonderland tune)

He used to be Shiite 

But now he’s alright

thats what you call being damned with faint praise. 

Plymouth’s captain was called Wootton when Sturrock managed them.

Must be related

The only way you can play him is as part of a back 3. In an othordox defensive 2, he'd struggle both with his positioning and the physicality of the championship. 

At the minute the back 3 has balance. Lees in the centre works to his strengths. Cover on both sides means, he's less likely to get done down the sides. 

I think we'll have a better idea how defensively strong we are after 10/12 games. As I've said before to stand any chance of staying up we have to be conceding less than 60 goals. If we could concede less than 50 then I think we'd definitely stay up.