Van aken

I remember Paul Merson saying that clubs who play 3 centre backs often do it because they have central defenders who aren’t good enough.

Van Aken looked awful playing in a central defensive partnership but so far he’s looked “ok” in a three.

I’m not sure he’s got any better, more that we’ve settled on a formation that offers him a little bit of extra cover.

Last season he featured heavily in threads about the worst defenders in our history.

Monk was the worst manager in our history.

Lees was shot and league 1 at best.

Rhodes was a money grabbing disgrace.

2 games vs league 1 and 2 opposition, another home game without a win, and a win vs a poor Cardiff, and they are now worldbeaters.

If ever there was a lesson to not to Owlstalk remotely seriously, this is it. The first defeat will have them all back to zeros, and Monk on his way.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Iorfa, Lees and Van Aken know that Borner and Dunkley are breathing down their necks.

Dunkley will put real pressure on them, Borner looks a bit lost in a back 3 but we know he's decent.

Think Borner would be better in the Lees role

9 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I remember Paul Merson saying that clubs who play 3 centre backs often do it because they have central defenders who aren’t good enough.

Van Aken looked awful playing in a central defensive partnership but so far he’s looked “ok” in a three.

I’m not sure he’s got any better, more that we’ve settled on a formation that offers him a little bit of extra cover.

There’s a bit of this but he has got bigger physically and more used to the style here. When he played centrally in a 3 though at Wigan under Jos he wasn’t comfortable 

• Like 1

Actually no one, is stupid enough to think that our players have become world class because they have had a few good games. However, what this team have done already, is show that they are all decent Championship level players. They have also shown that they will all put a shift in for the club when they are on the pitch. 

Van Aken had a decent game yesterday, he didn't do it as a personal affront to anyone, he did it because he's learnt/been taught how to play in this league. So, well done to him and well done to the coaching staff.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, meggoisgod said:

If the back 3 are solid but we have injuries in midfield I can see Borner in the defensive midfield role. He played there in Germany and I'm sure he would be a better midfield option than Joey

Oh god not this again.

Need to add ‘we should try him as CDM’ to my cliches

Edited by McRightSide
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

It’s hard to see how well he is playing without being in the stadium.  He had a huge issue with how he shifted his weight and power when defending before, which made him an easy target for any attacker or coach. I have no idea whether this massive issue has been properly addressed as I haven’t seen enough of him this season.

if he has sorted it , then huge respect to the coaches and the player himself.