WADDLE

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

He was a fantastic player, I consider myself privileged to have been able to watch him play for us.

Not sure what his politics have got to do with it, I think that sort of discussion is for another section.

Great player, great career. Talks a good game on the radio, says it like it is - an admirable quality.

• Like 1

Those were the days. Multiple internationals in our team playing imperiously, a squad full of people you'd actually heard of before they got here, a threat to actually win trophies (some even tipped us for the league title at one point) and one bloke getting recognition from a major body as the nation's player of the year. One wonders if we will see anything like that ever again with things as they stand in the club and wider game.

Waddle wasn't just a tremendous footballer, with the ability to wriggle his way out of the middle of a rugby scrum with the ball and then deliver it right onto someone's toe fifty yards away, but he also managed to do all that making it look like it was effortless. And he also seemed to genuinely revel in it and the relationship with the fans. It's a shame we got so close to major honours and came away with nothing because that team deserved better. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Those were the days. Multiple internationals in our team playing imperiously, a squad full of people you'd actually heard of before they got here, a threat to actually win trophies (some even tipped us for the league title at one point) and one bloke getting recognition from a major body as the nation's player of the year. One wonders if we will see anything like that ever again with things as they stand in the club and wider game.

Waddle wasn't just a tremendous footballer, with the ability to wriggle his way out of the middle of a rugby scrum with the ball and then deliver it right onto someone's toe fifty yards away, but he also managed to do all that making it look like it was effortless. And he also seemed to genuinely revel in it and the relationship with the fans. It's a shame we got so close to major honours and came away with nothing because that team deserved better. 

Just needed a decent manager

• Like 1

On 19/09/2020 at 12:21, TrickyTrev said:

I still think Chris Waddle is criminally under-rated in the wider country.

When he left Spurs for Marseille, it was something like the third most expensive signing in history. For me, at his peak he was a more talented player than David Beckham.

When he came back to England and signed for us, he was the best player in the country that year and rightfully won Football Writers Footballer of the Year.

You missed out the word much. IMO Beckham was the ultimate one trick pony (and yes he was very good at that trick by being able to cross a ball onto a sixpence) and he made the most of what he had but Waddle is one of the most talented English players in my lifetime. His mere presence would attract people to go and watch the game, like Gazza.  

On 19/09/2020 at 12:59, sexpistol said:

Waddle was brilliant and you could argue he was world class, but Gareth Bale is arguably the best footballer from the U.K. since George Best.

I would argue with you on that SP. Waddle was actually a huge success abroad and continued playing at the top level into his mid 30's. Bale has much to do to emulate him in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Devonstrix said:

I would argue with you on that SP. Waddle was actually a huge success abroad and continued playing at the top level into his mid 30's. Bale has much to do to emulate him in my opinion. 

Bale won 4 champions leagues abroad. I think that probably emulates anything Waddle did to be honest. 

what a player though loved waddle, still do!