WADDLE

7 minutes ago, trev said:

That's crazy...even if we were in the prem we couldn't even dream of signing a player like that.

Just makes you realise how much of a coup it was back then.

I think Waddle was thought of being a "has been". Those days, playing in foreign leagues meant that you were off the radar. He was a superb signing, and also the start of my Wednesday life for good.

3 minutes ago, Mr Meadows said:

Simply put... waddle was a footballing god, they are few and far between

Waddle, hirst, Nilsson, Sheridan and Palmer in the same team!!

an era I can’t imagine we’ll ever see again 

Not forgetting Des Walker!

Christ, what a team!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Trevor Francis as a player was such a quite incredible thing - wasn't he like 38 years old or something?

(as a manager he singlehandedly ruined Sheffield Wednesday but that's for another thread)

Tricky Trev, great player, great manager.

Ruined Wednesday single handedly?!?! (How about Pleat, Wilson and Richardson?)

lol

In Trev's defence, he brought Waddle, from Marseille, to Wednesday, one of the biggest clubs in Europe, and one of the biggest names in England. It would have been like Wednesday buying Gareth Bale from Madrid in the modern over inflated prices of today's game.

And then he did that again, with Des Walker coming from Sampdoria.

Trev never got any credit for his work at Wednesday, still doesn't, if only we'd won one of those two cup finals, or the ref at Old Trafford hadn't played until Man United won the game, and their first title since Busby was manager their. We challenged for the title that year, under Trev.

Even turned Warhurst into a multi million pound striker. (Bought as an obscure defender from Oldham)

Waddle was world class. Best we'll ever see at Wednesday. Skill, Graft, Pace and Workate. (Thanks Tricky Trev)

Edited by Ozymandias Owl
  • Like 2

Just now, Ozymandias Owl said:

Trev never got any credit for his work at Wednesday, still doesn't 

For very good reason

Took a great side, added some gems initially but then started replacing class with absolute DROSS, ruined the team atmosphere, caused friction, lost games and got (rightly and far too late) sacked 

He was horrific and DID single handedly ruin SWFC and the damage/impact lasted many MANY years

He was never any kind of manager  - thats been proven - and should never have been anywhere near the job in the first place

But like I say that's for another thread

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, BIG D said:

Best player in my lifetime.

Just a pity he’s a Brexit/Farage loon.

Seemed to remember he occupied both the left and right wing while he was here. What a ridiculous post. 

We could bum around the championship for another 20 years but at least I’ll always be able to say that I had the privilege of watching the English Footballer of the Year in a Wednesday shirt. 

I didn’t go to many away games but I saw his debut at Everton and his last game (I think?) at West Ham. 

Proper legend. 

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

For very good reason

Took a great side, added some gems initially but then started replacing class with absolute DROSS, ruined the team atmosphere, caused friction, lost games and got (rightly and far too late) sacked 

He was horrific and DID single handedly ruin SWFC and the damage/impact lasted many MANY years

He was never any kind of manager  - thats been proven - and should never have been anywhere near the job in the first place

But like I say that's for another thread

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. It's a similar story to what's happened in recent seasons at Wednesday, once the money dries up, you are shopping in a different market.

Andy Sinton and Chris Woods were similar signings to Waddle and Walker, all England internationals. We even beat Arsenal to the signing of Sinton, but he was a one trick pony. Absolute dross, and for big money.

You then have the likes of Andy Pearce coming in. Big lad, but he couldn't pass the ball and had no pace.

Enough for today: Let's have a Brexit, Richardson, Allen, Tricky Trev, Yorath, and Wilson's fancy Dan (Di Canio and Carbone) Armagedda thread next week.

garymegson

Long Live the legend that is Chris Waddle, and the outside of his left foot...

UTO FTB FTEFL

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Best player Wednesday have ever had!

He was fantastic but it depends on your age as there was some great players in the 60’s. As a footballer (dribbling etc) he was the best I’ve seen but as a player there were some terrific ‘players’ back then ie great half backs ( midfielders ) and inside forwards, there again it’s based on opinions.

I still think Chris Waddle is criminally under-rated in the wider country.

When he left Spurs for Marseille, it was something like the third most expensive signing in history. For me, at his peak he was a more talented player than David Beckham.

When he came back to England and signed for us, he was the best player in the country that year and rightfully won Football Writers Footballer of the Year.

• Like 3

Class player, he was a favourite of mine even before we signed him, along with the likes of Roberto Baggio, Dejan Savicevic and John Barnes, etc he was a childhood favourite and brilliant player to watch. I believe in those first two seasons we saw him at his peak.

It was a joy to watch the likes of Waddle, Sheridan and Hirst in the early 90s, it's hard to believe that we once had players of the calibre and pedigree of Waddle, Nilsson and Walker, etc genuinely world class players during their peak. 

• Like 1