Great to see the Academy lads coming through...

This is great news, but why is this only happening now? I've never believed that with the catchment area and population on our doorstep that there's never been the youngsters out there. The great unwashed were able to find and develop them, so it's been a huge frustration that we apparently couldn't. So why now?

2 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Yes it is great, hope it continues. The more we produce the more we can profit as a club both on and off the field. Hopefully we can build a reputation of developing players that leads to attracting the better youngsters in our catchment areas (no easy thing with the big clubs snaffling them all up)

Think that’s a bit of a myth about Sheffield youngsters all being snapped up by the bigger clubs, I can’t think of any in the last 20 years, other than perhaps Cahill? 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Think that’s a bit of a myth about Sheffield youngsters all being snapped up by the bigger clubs, I can’t think of any in the last 20 years, other than perhaps Cahill? 

There are others they just don't always make it. To compete against Sheffield United would be a start and it sounds like we are beginning to.

6 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

There are others they just don't always make it. To compete against Sheffield United would be a start and it sounds like we are beginning to.

Not sure abut that. Leeds got CAT 1 status for their academy and United are planing to. Those two will pull best prospects in the area and we will do well to compete with Barnsley and Rotherham who got themselves bit of a reputation as clubs that are playing and developing youngsters.

2 hours ago, malek said:

Not sure abut that. Leeds got CAT 1 status for their academy and United are planing to. Those two will pull best prospects in the area and we will do well to compete with Barnsley and Rotherham who got themselves bit of a reputation as clubs that are playing and developing youngsters.

I'm aware of this but it appears, probably more from necessity than anything else that this is an area we need to improve and are working towards.