Pundits...

parajack

2 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Don't think it's unfair to have a moan at someone whose wages I help pay, without any option.

Others you mention, music stars etc, I do have the option.

You don’t have to have a TV license.

But since you choose to have one, realistically, how much of your annual license fee do you reckon pays for Lineker’s salary?

A quick bit of fagpacket maths would show your household pays approx 44p of Lineker’s salary per year.  If you’ve got nowt else in life to moan about than 44p then you don’t know you’re born.

2 hours ago, parajack said:

Only agenda i have is the out of control Frankenstein monster,that has become almost anything to do with football....except of course the lower tiers & the fans.....I highlighted Ozils wages at Arsenal as an example....gets more in a Month(approx 200,000 more) than Lineker gets in a Year.!!!!! FFS..Whatever example you use,(in football)there is one more extreme

Dont even mention Messi or Ronaldo....(not UK examples fair enough)  By comparison Lineker  earned more than what some Championship managers got for talking about football   :https://sportsmaza.com/money/english-premier-league-managers-salary/

Yes football’s finances are out of control; mainly because of the outrageous salaries of players in the Premier League.  100% agree.

But Lineker is a TV personality - has been since 1995ish.

You’re conflating two separate issues.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

You don’t have to have a TV license.

But since you choose to have one, realistically, how much of your annual license fee do you reckon pays for Lineker’s salary?

A quick bit of fagpacket maths would show your household pays approx 44p of Lineker’s salary per year.  If you’ve got nowt else in life to moan about than 44p then you don’t know you’re born.

Yes football’s finances are out of control; mainly because of the outrageous salaries of players in the Premier League.  100% agree.

But Lineker is a TV personality - has been since 1995ish.

You’re conflating two separate issues.

I dont see it that way........but perhaps your right...The upward spiral of Mega Money in Life & in general,for so called 'stars'& in Football (& football related)in particular,is way out of control,& should be discussed & challenged across all spheres....That way the rights & wrongs(not envy or jealousy) can be weighed up... Its simply just not RIGHT......in my view & may well cause a groundswell of indignation & public opinion for change.... which is what I believe has probably happened here.

Why else would he 'accept';  a pay cut?

I do accept  their is a contrary view,but i feel that the pundits pay is part of the same alleged 'greed' disease that has infected Football in general...TV personality? well yeah,true...but i think its a case of the Emperor's cloth's...if Advertisers want to waste their millions thats one thing(but still wrong!)...I just object to the BBC paying it....1.2 Millon a Year,however you cut it,would pay for a lot of things,(eg  look at the cuts to sport coverage over the BBC radio channels,less matches covered.etc effecting the pleasure of many)

A good few  female football puntits breaking through, must be the tight turning circles they manage (Think double Artic) One I wont mention by name, in the main because you all will guess her. Talks at length about what she has no experience of; One would think she has only been picked by virtue of her figure and stunning looks.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scilly owl said:

I thought that Tony Pulis was excellent on Sky the other night... he managed to string a sentence together without saying “ the boy” or “ football club” and when he started talking about cauliflowers and milking techniques he was really on the money.

Wheres Alan Freeman when you need him??  'Nod Arf'..

41 minutes ago, MrEdwards said:

£1.2million is an absolutely criminal wage for a public funded broadcaster, especially in the face of the many cuts it is making in its news coverage. 

And it's not like Lineker is a draw for people who wouldn't watch regardless or that he's uniquely gifted for that role. I don't mind him, but that kind of money seems wildly unnecessary under the circumstances you describe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

A good few  female football puntits breaking through, must be the tight turning circles they manage (Think double Artic) One I wont mention by name, in the main because you all will guess her. Talks at length about what she has no experience of; One would think she has only been picked by virtue of her figure and stunning looks.   

I like Mina Rzouki - she mainly does podcasts - but she should be doing more tv... 
image.png.f774c7b8b77ea8f3c63cf4ca6e28006e.png

Edited by Daizan10

5 minutes ago, Daizan10 said:

I like it when they have journos on. Like BT get Rafa Honnigstein on sometimes to comment on german football. People who are articulate and have an ounce of sense. On the flip side Ian Wright is good cos hes like a big excited child. 

Good call. I also like Gabriele Marcotti and Tim Vickery.

One of the best examples though was James Richardson when he started doing Football Italia on Channel 4. He had no real background in it, yet was tremendous with the humour, style and relaxed manner that put some of his experienced rivals to shame.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Good call. I also like Gabriele Marcotti and Tim Vickery.

One of the best examples though was James Richardson when he started doing Football Italia on Channel 4. He had no real background in it, yet was tremendous with the humour, style and relaxed manner that put some of his experienced rivals to shame.

He does an excellent podcast if that's your bag. The totally football show. (James Richardson that is).

Edited by Daizan10
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

quick bit of fagpacket maths would show your household pays approx 44p of Lineker’s salary per year.  If you’ve got nowt else in life to moan about than 44p then you don’t know you’re born.

I don't want to pay him 44p though, btw how do you know that i don't know i was born. ?

• Haha 1