Quite interesting - Potential Fletcher replacements

9 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

I don’t like the idea of having a ‘target man’ anymore. Dull boring football and easy to figure out. Yeah Fletcher was good for us and ran his socks off every time he played, but when you look at his goal scoring record for us it wasn’t amazing. 

The thing is bud football is fluid, to me there's no right or wrong way of how the game should be played. 

Different situations and circumstances require a different approach to be successful... 

What I'm wittering on about is the more different types of strikers you have the more options are available. 

It's no good being under the cosh and trying to clear your lines to two quick lads that can't hold the ball up and bring others countering into the game. 

The more options you have the more plans A. B. C etc it things arnt working. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

The thing is bud football is fluid, to me there's no right or wrong way of how the game should be played. 

Different situations and circumstances require a different approach to be successful... 

What I'm wittering on about is the more different types of strikers you have the more options are available. 

It's no good being under the cosh and trying to clear your lines to two quick lads that can't hold the ball up and bring others countering into the game. 

Though of course, what you have to watch out for, is having half a dozen strikers, none of which are compatible with each other 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Given the almost infinite variables that exist for even one player in a single game of football, it always rather bemuses me that people place so much absolute importance on things like formations that are fluid and changeable anyway. 

On the Isles of Scilly the league only has two teams that play each other 16 times per season in the league, plus a Charity Shield and cup final. The scores vary wildly which I'm sure is not a reflection of constantly changing tactics and players. For some reason, there are those who like to pretend random elements don't exist and prefer to reduce it to something finite like a game of Connect 4 that they can claim a unique alchemy in.

• Like 1

Nsame has been mentioned out of the blue before. 

Fletcher wasn’t just a target man, he had good feet too. That’s why he’s played at the top level all his career and you’d have to question anyone who suggests Gnanduillet is a better finisher than someone who’s played for Wednesday Sunderland Marseille and Wolves...as opposed to Blackpool and Chesterfield. I guess that’s stats for you. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Given the almost infinite variables that exist for even one player in a single game of football, it always rather bemuses me that people place so much absolute importance on things like formations that are fluid and changeable anyway. 

On the Isles of Scilly the league only has two teams that play each other 16 times per season in the league, plus a Charity Shield and cup final. The scores vary wildly which I'm sure is not a reflection of constantly changing tactics and players. For some reason, there are those who like to pretend random elements don't exist and prefer to reduce it to something finite like a game of Connect 4 that they can claim a unique alchemy in.

What he said ⬆️ 

image.png.8f35a529cf1c26104bb59ae01adcb956.png

45 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Though of course, what you have to watch out for, is having half a dozen strikers, none of which are compatible with each other 

Yep which we've been really good at these last few years. I just don't see a problem with having a big target man, though.

I'd be looking at a younger, fitter, cheaper version of hooper, someone who brings others into the game or that others can play off of. The much derided heskey was brilliant at creating chances for other players around him,hooper wasn't the biggest but could hold the ball up. 

I do agree with finding a balance and creating partnerships especially up front or cb is essential. 

2 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Yep which we've been really good at these last few years. I just don't see a problem with having a big target man, though.

I'd be looking at a younger, fitter, cheaper version of hooper, someone who brings others into the game or that others can play off of. The much derided heskey was brilliant at creating chances for other players around him,hooper wasn't the biggest but could hold the ball up. 

I do agree with finding a balance and creating partnerships especially up front or cb is essential. 

Deon Burton was brilliant at he was different class at bringing it down on his chest. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I in part understand your thinking, but I always have tactics in mind. Its about finding a weakness and exploiting it. 

For example if we keep the same back 3 as last week against Watford and they have a quick agile and mobile striker who likes to run the channels and balls behind the defence on our left cb then VanAkren is really going to struggle. If they've a big slow lump like Cardiff had he'll be capable of dealing with the threat. 

Just now, shezzas left peg said:

I in part understand your thinking, but I always have tactics in mind. Its about finding a weakness and exploiting it. 

For example if we keep the same back 3 as last week against Watford and they have a quick agile and mobile striker who likes to run the channels and balls behind the defence on our left cb then VanAkren is really going to struggle. If they've a big slow lump like Cardiff had he'll be capable of dealing with the threat. 

I'm not saying tactics and selections don't matter at all. They are the foundations on which the rest is built; not the absolutes some consider them as.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I'm not saying tactics and selections don't matter at all. They are the foundations on which the rest is built; not the absolutes some consider them as.

I'll hold my hand up to being one of those and admit it bud. Ex engineer, too many years of logical and reasoning over thinking, mixed with a heavy dose of problem solving. Therefore I'm naturally always thinking how can we make this work better, what's my plan B or C if a can't be  achieved etc... 

Edited by shezzas left peg

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Exactly, last season we were too reliant on Fletchers all round contribution. 
It was alarming how toothless we were once he was out. I hope Monk has learnt from this.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Exactly, last season we were too reliant on Fletchers all round contribution. 
It was alarming how toothless we were once he was out. I hope Monk has learnt from this.

Possibly due to the age and condition/attitude of the others. But if you put last seasons Fletcher in this side now he’d be ideal for that role