Macclesfield Wound Up, Will Others Follow?

Just now, Mr Farrell said:

Can I pick the 3 clubs ? 

I was hoping someone would give it a go Kev, but I didn’t want to phrase the post in such a way to illicit responses along the lines of “What kind of person would wish ill on other clubs, even if one of them was Middlebrough?”

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, parajack said:

True,in its literal sense but dont forget attendances help drive an overall interest in the Football 'product;' which than attracts big TV money  advertisers/sponsors...its all inter related and hard to seperate

It is. And football without crowds is proving to be be a bit of a crap product. I’ve watched a few games as I’m desperate for a football fix but it’s like watching preseason games. Wonder how long it will last as a tv spectacle when it no longer is

Let's be honest, we aren't far from being an NFL style sport. With the big 6-10 franchises, using smaller clubs as feeders. 
Locked top league so the teams can be marketed to death without fear of relegations etc.

They were trying it with Cricket and the 100 series, which thankfully has been delayed.

EFL teams need to make a stand soon otherwise they will just be cut adrift. League 2 are very close to that now, and wouldn't surprise me come the end of the season if it becomes part time.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, nethertonowl said:

Gone to the wall,  decades of history, for less than a months  wages for a premier league player. Fu ck the premier league. 

Sorry but what have the premier league got to do with this? I’m not saying I don’t have sympathy for the club but any radical structural changes and re-distribution of wealth etc. will only be enforced the FA, the main body in charge of football in this country. 

14 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Football disgusts me. The greed is obscene. Back in the late 60's I fell in love with a game played by 22 working class men who earned the same as the supporters who stood on the terraces to cheer them on. I now hate football and everything it has become. If it wasn't for my lifelong live of Wednesday I would quite happily turn my back on the whole parasite infested cesspit. 

That's how I feel exactly. Players at the top earnt more bot nobody minded that and players further down made a decent living doing what they loved. Still needed to work after football though which is as it should be. I'm too old to change now, Wednesday till I die and all that, but it's changed and not for the better.

• Like 1

Sadly, I think it inevitable that a number of EFL clubs either go into administration or a wound up in the next few months.

Club's incomes have drastically reduced whilst costs have largely remained the same in what was already a largely unprofitable business model.

Can costs reduce sufficiently? Can't see it - it would need the players to take drastic pay cuts, which the PFA are resistant to.

Can the income gap be plugged? Some wealthy owners (hopefully DC included) will continue to fund clubs out of their own pocket, others are simply unable to do so - it's these clubs that'll be in real trouble.

Could the EFL or PL plug the gap? Hopefully, but they need to get off their backsides, leave the self interest at home and get something sorted soon.

Wigan's administrators still haven't found them new owners with the club priced at £3.3 m (source - today's Guardian) so they could be next.

Out of that same Guardian piece,Macc could likely have been saved for £150,000.

Meetings are ongoing with the Premier league and EFL and are meant to wrap up in next couple of weeks about a ££ package .

1 hour ago, BowOwl said:

Let's be honest, we aren't far from being an NFL style sport. With the big 6-10 franchises, using smaller clubs as feeders. 
Locked top league so the teams can be marketed to death without fear of relegations etc.

I see why you are warning about the Premier league becoming a closed shop, with the top six distant from the rest within that. But I don't like the comparison with the NFL as if that is flawed somehow. On the whole it is run much more fairly and efficiently than the shambles in football over here. Historically, there really hasn't been much problem with that system as it is. The league has expended from time to time to accommodate new teams and a few have changed locations, but in the main everyone is reasonably satisfied. And the level of competitiveness across the board is something we can only dream about. It's not like you have dozens of clubs just waiting for the opportunity who are being locked out. And there is a vast system of college sport (669 teams in NCAA gridiron last year) to take up the slack in areas that don't have a professional outfit which have a healthy attendance, especially in the bigger areas. For example, in the SEC, the average was over 72,000 per game, with three of those into six figures.