Reach - Interesting role

I actually thought he played really well, in a difficult role in the first half where we insisted on maximizing our backwards and sideways passing.

He got on the ball, brought people into play and looked our most threatening outlet - either getting in scoring positions and / or creating chances for others when he drifted out wide.

His delivery was outstanding for most of the night.

However, because its fashionable to criticize Reach and because he missed a couple of chances he'll get pelters from the group thinking massives

• Like 2

Very poor first half. Looked shot of any confidence. Second half he seemed to have drank a gallon of confidence and did very well. Couldn’t really fault the second half, was unlucky not to get on the score sheet. 

quick bit of thinking from Windass, and excellent execution from the free kick for the second. 

hope he can build on that. 

41 minutes ago, TheSlicer said:

Very poor first half. Looked shot of any confidence. Second half he seemed to have drank a gallon of confidence and did very well. Couldn’t really fault the second half, was unlucky not to get on the score sheet. 

quick bit of thinking from Windass, and excellent execution from the free kick for the second. 

hope he can build on that. 

What’s he supposed to do when we spent most of the half weeing around playing the ball between midfielders and defenders?

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

What’s he supposed to do when we spent most of the half weeing around playing the ball between midfielders and defenders?

Are you defending his first half? 

my post was supposed to be positive one. Congratulations on picking a negative out of it. 

• Haha 1

I thought he looked to fit that forward role he's been given much, much better than in the Walsall game (or Leicester friendly for that matter).

In this regard he's built on a reasonable showing from his 30 mins against Cardiff too.

Obviously, he needs to be getting goals too if he's ever to be ‘accepted’ as a forward, but I suppose he's getting used to the role, and I think at least he's making progress with that, as he barely had even a sniff of goal in his other appearances up top, but last night he could have had a few (as well as hitting the bar, of course).

2 hours ago, hangonrose said:

Some people don't feel as if their day's work is done until they take to social media and slag someone off.  My eyes told me, and obviously the manager's eyes told him, that he had a decent game,  What do people expect in a minor cup competition, and a half-decent Championship player in their first game of the season.  I'm sure Mr Reach has long since learned to ignore idiot comments, and laugh all the way to the dressing-room (and the bank)

Really sad that some people (fans) enjoy slagging players off so much that even after a good performance they will still find something to criticise. It is a matter of whether your glass is half full or half empty in my opinion. People seldom change.

• Like 2

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A natural left midfielder who has probably played about 10 Wednesday games in that position. 

He’s been messed about Reach throughout his time here.

Nailed it 👏👏👏👏

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I think he averages assists at a better rate than anyone at the club per game/90 minutes played. 

According to whoscored.com, Reach has 28 assists for us (league only) in the last 4 seasons. There won't be many (if any) better than that here.

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

09A011EF-DA1D-4C72-91DE-D4D80DD762FD.jpeg

Might have to show that to my wife.

:biggrin:

• Haha 2

Thought his touch and overall play improved as the game went on.
Looks like a player short on game time and starting to find a bit of form after a short pre season.

Hard to see how he’s ever going to get a longer run of games in the current formation though. Unless of course he was to start knocking in those left foot specials when he does get on the pitch.

9 hours ago, debram said:

Can see your point but you hit the nail on the head (stronger opposition) I really don't think he can hack it, yes the odd wonder goal and good touches but when needed most goes missing. 

I know what you mean but my mind goes back to when Jos was here and we had all the top players out for one reason or another (let's not disguss why). Reach was outstanding he carried us game after game and put in some consistently excellent performances. The one bright light in a sea of dross. I know he was dire last year.

He can't/won't tackle but he has energy to burn and a great engine, rarely injured and he can score worldies. I hope he can get back to his best because he can be a cracking player at his best and really help us succeed or earn us a good profit if we sell at the right time.

• Like 1

He looked decent on the highlights. If he can get back near to his best form of a couple of seasons ago, over the course of a congested season with numerous midweek games, he'd be a decent option to have in the squad. I like the look of the likes of Brown; Windass, Penney and Harris, Reach will have to up his game to be a regular starter but it looks like he's giving it a go and should be a decent squad player capable of breaking back into the side or keeping our best players on their toes. 

Still a bench player imo

He's been shocking for 2 years 

Doesn't have the balls to be starting for a team who needs to fight 

Good game yesterday but let's see how he fairs against decent opposition before he's worth £20million again 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
17 hours ago, CalmJimmers said:

This year's scapegoat it feels like. From what I saw he looked really good, the corner was a quick bit of thinking and accurate pass. 

Hope he gets back to where he was - it only helps us having his assists and goals back in the team, and will only raise his price if we wanted to sell. 

The free kick to Windass was genius!!

On 16/09/2020 at 09:33, Kopparberg said:

Unlucky not to score last night. 

Looked happy in himself / his play. 

Showed some left foot quality. 

Seemed to be drifting around the forward line... is that what Monk meant ?  Just be around the edge of the box etc ? Some quicker build up? Like a number 10? 

Did some closing down. 

Have to see how it goes against stronger opposition, but it’s one to watch. 

Needs to stay out of the box and shoot from range which he's good at. He showed last night his finishing inside the box is awful and always has been, a real striker would have had two or three against Rochdale with the chances he missed.