Reach - Interesting role

Unlucky not to score last night. 

Looked happy in himself / his play. 

Showed some left foot quality. 

Seemed to be drifting around the forward line... is that what Monk meant ?  Just be around the edge of the box etc ? Some quicker build up? Like a number 10? 

Did some closing down. 

Have to see how it goes against stronger opposition, but it’s one to watch. 

• Like 2

First half he was pretty bad with some poor touches but 2nd half was the best I've seen him play in a while, looked more like the Adam Reach of old, would be very useful for us if he can get back to the level he was at a couple seasons ago.

5 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

I not saying he didn't play well, but this is the only thread I've seen any positivity about his performance.

Twitter slated him, he was slated in the matchday thread.

Good to see the poor performance verdict isn't unanimous.

This year's scapegoat it feels like. From what I saw he looked really good, the corner was a quick bit of thinking and accurate pass. 

Hope he gets back to where he was - it only helps us having his assists and goals back in the team, and will only raise his price if we wanted to sell. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

I not saying he didn't play well, but this is the only thread I've seen any positivity about his performance.

I only got to watch the highlights as expats were restricted to just radia. But watching extended highlights, he was involved in most of them. 

40 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Unlucky not to score last night. 

Looked happy in himself / his play. 

Showed some left foot quality. 

Seemed to be drifting around the forward line... is that what Monk meant ?  Just be around the edge of the box etc ? Some quicker build up? Like a number 10? 

Did some closing down. 

Have to see how it goes against stronger opposition, but it’s one to watch. 

Can see your point but you hit the nail on the head (stronger opposition) I really don't think he can hack it, yes the odd wonder goal and good touches but when needed most goes missing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

This is all good to hear. Like someone mentioned, he is close to becoming this seasons scapegoat.

From the Nuhiu uncertainty, to Monk saying Reach could be a forward led to some ruffled feathers... but maybe eventually Reach will lead to some fluid play and goals. I’m hoping anyway. 

15 minutes ago, JackSWFC said:

Could well be a useful role for him to play after all. Especially against teams that insist on playing out the back. Which, these days, is quite a few!

Great point. 

43 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

This year's scapegoat it feels like. From what I saw he looked really good, the corner was a quick bit of thinking and accurate pass. 

Hope he gets back to where he was - it only helps us having his assists and goals back in the team, and will only raise his price if we wanted to sell. 

You say this year’s scapegoat. Reach has divided opinion on here from the first day he signed.

I’ve always been in the he’s overrated camp. He had that one season where everything he seemed to hit went in but in truth he’s had one good season in four before this one. 

He has his strength’s but consistency isn’t one of them. Totally expecting this to be his last season here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Some people don't feel as if their day's work is done until they take to social media and slag someone off.  My eyes told me, and obviously the manager's eyes told him, that he had a decent game,  What do people expect in a minor cup competition, and a half-decent Championship player in their first game of the season.  I'm sure Mr Reach has long since learned to ignore idiot comments, and laugh all the way to the dressing-room (and the bank)

• Like 2

Just now, Jim said:

You say this year’s scapegoat. Reach has divided opinion on here from the first day he signed.

I’ve always been in the he’s overrated camp. He had that one season where everything he seemed to hit went in but in truth he’s had one good season in four before this one. 

He has his strength’s but consistency isn’t one of them. Totally expecting this to be his last season here.

He has, but there's always one that is honed in on. We've won 3 in a row and people are still slating him - I just don't get it, surely you want to pull everybody along in the positivity? 

He did score the wonder goals yes, but his assist stats have always been consistent. Just don't get the need for people to go out of their way to slate somebody after an impressive win. Be great if somebody could explain why. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

He has, but there's always one that is honed in on. We've won 3 in a row and people are still slating him - I just don't get it, surely you want to pull everybody along in the positivity? 

He did score the wonder goals yes, but his assist stats have always been consistent. Just don't get the need for people to go out of their way to slate somebody after an impressive win. Be great if somebody could explain why. 

I think he averages assists at a better rate than anyone at the club per game/90 minutes played. That's despite having an off season last year and being played in almost every position for us. That's more than Bannan without the luxury of most of the free kicks and corners. Weirdly though as you say some folk always seem to be on his back. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

There's no reason for people to slate players but people do. It's a cultural thing in my opinion, look at the press and how they love to build people up and then tear them down, same thing.

I see lots of it on twitter, it seems players/managers get very quickly judged as rubbish and then supporters take this "I'll wait until he proves me wrong" approach. Seeing tweets now about Monk and how he was "gash last season but a promising start, i'll reserve my judgement until 10 games in". Rather than just have some patience to begin with people take this judgemental stance and insert this caveat and reserve the right to be offended at how supposedly crap a player/manager is.

I think Reach will come good this season, he seemed low on confidence last year but the staff seem to be really focusing on graft and building confidence through hard work so i'm sure Reach will bag a few soon enough and it be a weight off his shoulders.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

very true mate

the moaners need someone since fox has gone......

• Like 4

I have been a critic of him especially recently. Don’t think he’s been up to it and hasn’t got the basics right. 

Hasn’t been up to it for a good 18 months and lacked any consistency.

That being said I thought he had s very good game last night. Even the miss I thought was a tad unlucky, won’t skate him for that. At least he was getting in position to threaten. Small criticism is he went backwards to often when he could have opened his body and turned, better passes available or space to move into. 

Hope he builds on last nights performance.

As for using the term scapegoat, I constant say this. To point out a player is underperforming or hasn’t been good enough isn’t scapegoating. Here’s the definition for those that keep using the word.

09A011EF-DA1D-4C72-91DE-D4D80DD762FD.jpeg