• Hunt
    • Deli-Bashiru
    • Kachunga
    • Reach
    • Odubajo
    • Windass
    • Iorfa
    • Grant

Palmer MoM. Great cross for Kanchunga. Safe defending and in possesion.

Crossing for SWFC in the second half was way better than the first half. With Penney and Palmer at Wing Backs and 2 from Windass, Rhodes, Kerchunga and Reach up front we are going to start converting more of these crosses.

Great to see us taking the game to the opposition again. I fancy this high pressing game against Fulham in the next round.

What a strike from Windass... The camera could not keep up. I heard he's got a speeding ticket, 120 mph in a 30...

lol

image.png.b93330e98c42e7a574314346465dc245.png

UTO FTB FTEFL...

• Like 2

Wildsmith - 6 - He'll be able to save some Head and Shoulders for his lovely, long, flowing locks tonight. Get straight on the coach Joe, no need for a shower.

Brennan - 7 - Did much of his defensive work without too much drama, and looked accomplished on the ball all evening. The odd lapse in concentration, but overall, very decent debut.

Shaw - 7 - Is he really a midfielder? Looked at ease at centre half. Like Brannan, looked composed on the ball, and fairly untroubled throughout.

Borner - 7 - Much, much better display than Walsall. Very attacking display, and was a constantly option for Odubajo down that flank. 

Palmer - 8 - Man of the Match - Played essentially as a right winger, but was afforded COVID social distancing by the Rochdale defence. Was tidy enough in the 1st half, but upped his game 2nd half, and was a standout performer. Great delivery for Kachunga, and showed good composure to stick Reach in.

Odubajo - 7 - Saw a lot of the ball, and looked to get at Rochdale's full back often. Final ball just let him down tonight, but another positive display from Moses.

Pelupessy - 7 - Good, understated performance from Joey tonight. Sat and kept things ticking, but wasn't shy to engage and go and press when initiated.

Hunt - 8 - Thrived under the extra responsibility, given the absence of the Bannan, Brown and Luongo. Used the ball well, worked so hard, and looked a class act at times.

Dele-Bashiru - 7 - Much better performance than Walsall, and showed some real positive attributes that I'm sure we'll see more of in the future. So strong, and dominant in possession. I know it's a lazy comparison, but he had traits of Yaya Toure at times. The way he submissively shrugged off challenges and ghosted past players was brilliant to see. A bit more belief in key areas, and he could be a real asset.

Kachunga - 7 - Dropped deep and linked up well. Got up well to clinically convert his goal. Good, solid debut.

Reach - 7 - Seemed to range from the bad to the magnificent at times. He looked a lot more comfortable in that advanced position, and took up some very dangerous areas. His touch seemed to let him down at times, and missed two sitters. But, he was involved in so much of our good play in the 2nd half, and spotted Windass, and provided a great assist.

Windass - 8 - Outstanding cameo. Immeaditely showed explosive pace on the counter, played Reach in after again having the legs on the counter. Should've scored after missing the sitter from six yards out, but deservedly got his goal in the final minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Guest Willow Owl

Reach for me, not just his performance but how he guided and linked up with Hunt. The free kick routines were something I haven’t seen from a Wednesday team in years.

Edited by Willow Owl

Really pleasing that for the second game running its very hard to pick a MOM. A totally dominant display from the second eleven albeit against a league one side. Well done to the manager and coaching staff for injecting much more desire and attitude into the team. Keep it up. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Fullbacks/wingbacks were very good for us tonight. 

Past the first 10 mins, we bossed the game pretty much. 

Windass is starting to look an absolute steal for us, granted only 3 games in, but he looks hungry to do well here as do all the lads. 

What I like about our 'team' is how they're all putting a shift in for each other. I didn't notice once tonight, a player being exposed, we always had a back up which really bodes well. 

Early doors, but 3 good results thus far - and funk me! 3 clean sheets.

Odubajo MoM for me tonight, can improve on the quality of his final ball, but always available, and didn't shirk the defensive side either. 

Well done lads! Well done Garry Monk.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8.5 Palmer

8 Reach, Borner, Dele

7.5 Rest

Very impressive. Pretty much the perfect display from a second string Championship side v League 1 side.

Loved Dele tonight. Oozed power and drive. But unlike v Walsall looked after the ball. Wasteful and careless at Walsall - driven and determined tonight. Excellent. Could be pushing Luongo or Brown mid-season.

Reach controlled the game from about 20th minute. Superb display in his wrong position. Did his very best work wide. 

Borner terrific coming forward and strong in Defence.

But Palmer was outstanding. Extremely effective WB performance. Hard work and quality and varied crosses.

Shout out for the increasingly impressive Windass. Immediate impact with his fast direct and strong running. Does everything with a purpose. Clearly always thinking how best can he get to goal.

PS - I forgot Joey. He was top drawer tonight. Covered every inch, never put a foot wrong and started some of our best attacks. Terrific evening.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 5

Hunt for me. Some really good forward passes and shots. Close run thing with Palmer who has clearly been working on his main weakness, his crossing.

Reach looks as if he’s playing himself into some form to me. Touch was poor but very unfortunate with a couple of shots. A goal is badly needed by the lad.

Windass looks a real find to me and there’s so much potential in Fis. 

Only worry is Borner who couldn’t even get his throw ins right. Might have to watch his place in the team now with JVA looking better.

Wildsmith               7 

Brennan                 6  Will learn from the two suicide passes across his penalty area.

Shaw                      7 good perfrmance

Borner                     7 beginning to find his form again.

Palmer                     9  superb performance down the right my MOTM

Odubajo                   8  some good link play

Hunt                          8 impressive display

Deli-Bashiru              8 beginning to show his talent

Pelupessy                 6 those tight turns culminating in a nothing pass scare me.

Reach                        9  best game for a season and a half missed MOM by width of a hair.

Kachunga                   8 Capped his full debut with a goal and more than sound performance.

Windass                      8   loads of energy and what a strike.

Iorfa                             7   Shored up at the back 

Grant                           £    Nothing wrong with Banking a few minutes on the pitch.

Overall very impressed that we maintained the press for the entire second half. Winning the ball back quickly is so important when it comes to exposing the opposition, no matter who they are it's very hard work.

Well done the Lads !  

• Like 4

The players seem to be buying into the way Monk wants to play, lots of players sticking their hands up and saying 'I want to play gaffer' with those performances last night. Hunt looks a real player in the making. 

Great night last night, lots of potential.

Looking forward to Watford now !

• Like 2

Like Snooty before game I looked at team and had worries.

It was unbelievably refreshing the tempo was very good the passing was excellent (the ball wasreally fizzed about). 

The free kicks and corners had a variety that I have not seen from a Wednesday side. 

They were disciplined in defence and kept the shape of the team really well.

Shaw sat in at the back and did an excellent job tidied up and made severalgood interceptions and tackles. Only saw one occasion where his touch was wrong ball it his shin and went out for a corner. Otherwise the lad did excellent.

Hunt grew up tonight tackled and distributed the ball well, looks a player on that performance.

Dele-Bashiru grew into the game and after we scored he came alive and was extremely effective gaining free kick from whichsecond goal was scored. Only sawhim dwell onball once in first half and was dispossessed butto his credit he chased back and won the ball back. You can see why we brought him to club. 

Reach ran miles all at a good pace. In first half his touch let him down on several occasions but he suddenly found it at end of first half and after this he was excellent combined well with Hunt, Palmer, Odubajo, Kachunga nad Dele-Bashiru. Very unlucky not to have scored when he hit underside of bar. Also delivered some tasty free kickc.

Kachunga not the biggest centre forward but he can get up and head a ball. His work rate was impressive and he his prepared to drop into his own half to win and press players. Led the team in pressing the opposition which they did magnificently. Good nights work and will be asset to us this season.

Brennan did very well in first half often carrying the ball into opposition half and his passingwas extremely good. In last half hour he became tired and made a couple of errors and was correctly substituted but the lad canbe proud of his debut he did well.

Borner improved as game went on and grew into the game. In first half made a couple of errors and got foul throwed twice. Think if anythingit was probably lack of fitness that contributed to his problems. The extraordinary events may not have suited his metabolism but it was good to see him leaping and getting a header in which just missed in last few minutes of game.

Palmer did not put a foot wrong al night. Made all of his passes, crossed beautifully and was always availbale to receive the ball. Led by example. He had a goal chalked off for offside in first half which was only blemish ongame for me as a goal would have been wonderful for him.

I was unsure about the game and had long thoughts about was it worth paying a tenner to watch the game. When I saw the team I decided to watch out of interest in new players. I am delighted I did it was really enjoyable and worth every penny. A fabulous performance a deserved win and a good experience for all in the team.

I am happy.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

56 minutes ago, Quist said:

Like Snooty before game I looked at team and had worries.

It was unbelievably refreshing the tempo was very good the passing was excellent (the ball wasreally fizzed about). 

The free kicks and corners had a variety that I have not seen from a Wednesday side. 

They were disciplined in defence and kept the shape of the team really well.

Shaw sat in at the back and did an excellent job tidied up and made severalgood interceptions and tackles. Only saw one occasion where his touch was wrong ball it his shin and went out for a corner. Otherwise the lad did excellent.

Hunt grew up tonight tackled and distributed the ball well, looks a player on that performance.

Dele-Bashiru grew into the game and after we scored he came alive and was extremely effective gaining free kick from whichsecond goal was scored. Only sawhim dwell onball once in first half and was dispossessed butto his credit he chased back and won the ball back. You can see why we brought him to club. 

Reach ran miles all at a good pace. In first half his touch let him down on several occasions but he suddenly found it at end of first half and after this he was excellent combined well with Hunt, Palmer, Odubajo, Kachunga nad Dele-Bashiru. Very unlucky not to have scored when he hit underside of bar. Also delivered some tasty free kickc.

Kachunga not the biggest centre forward but he can get up and head a ball. His work rate was impressive and he his prepared to drop into his own half to win and press players. Led the team in pressing the opposition which they did magnificently. Good nights work and will be asset to us this season.

Brennan did very well in first half often carrying the ball into opposition half and his passingwas extremely good. In last half hour he became tired and made a couple of errors and was correctly substituted but the lad canbe proud of his debut he did well.

Borner improved as game went on and grew into the game. In first half made a couple of errors and got foul throwed twice. Think if anythingit was probably lack of fitness that contributed to his problems. The extraordinary events may not have suited his metabolism but it was good to see him leaping and getting a header in which just missed in last few minutes of game.

Palmer did not put a foot wrong al night. Made all of his passes, crossed beautifully and was always availbale to receive the ball. Led by example. He had a goal chalked off for offside in first half which was only blemish ongame for me as a goal would have been wonderful for him.

I was unsure about the game and had long thoughts about was it worth paying a tenner to watch the game. When I saw the team I decided to watch out of interest in new players. I am delighted I did it was really enjoyable and worth every penny. A fabulous performance a deserved win and a good experience for all in the team.

I am happy.

Great summary.

• Thanks 1

Wildsmith 6 - didn't have a lot to do, but did what he had to well.

Brennan 7 - solid

Shaw 7.5 - looked like the experienced lad in their at times, twice saving other players blushes.

Borner 6.5 - had a bit of a mare with throws. Like most of the team came good in the second half. 

Palmer 8 - some crosses coming off this lad.

Pelupessy 6 - dodgy first half, sorted it out second. 

Hunt 8 MOM - was the best player first half and then kept it up second. Superb.

Odubajo 5 - Couldn't cross his legs. Managed not to give away a pen though, I suppose. One of the few didnt improve second half. 

Dele-Bashiru 7 - This guy is so physical its unreal. Players bounce off him. Dribbling skills are good and the sheer determination when he nearly lost control in midfield second half. 

Kachunga 7 - good finish, thought he was kinda absent first half. 

Reach 6 - Shocking first half, shocking miss(es) second half. Came out looking a lot better, though, despite them. 

Fair??

Edited by Daizan10
  • Like 1