Hunt, Dele and Shaw

No disrespect to Rochdale but we can't get carried away with the performance. Granted, we played very well and looked a class above them. They've played very little competitive football so they were probably worse than they usually are. 

But, our youngsters did everything we could have asked of them, they played well, with maturity and class.

For now, Dele looks like he's the ideal strong powerful midfielder to replace Luongo late on in a game against tired legs. 

Hunt, I don't think I've seen a player like he come through our academy. A composed, tidy and technically gifted centre mid. Hopefully he can follow Palmer and make a big impact and become a player of the season. 

Shaw, he reminds me a bit of Beevers. Athletic, but raw. But definitely got ability. 

Hopefully we get another favourable draw in the next round to give tonight's team another chance to show what they can do. 

Dele nice and strong had a better second half 

shaw looked very composed quick and strong I can see big things from him especially in next few years when he bulks out a bit he’s going to be a beast 

hunt I’ve thought some days looks ok some days not so much but that’s Because he’s played next to bannan. He’s too similar to him the lad absolutely bossed that midfield today pulled all the strings showed Quality and positive football 

There’s no room for inconsistent performances from bannan with this lad about 

I thought everyone played well tonight but these three and to Brennan which was a very steady debut for the lad shows we have dependable youths coming through 

throw uroghide, that young Argentina winger and new forward from Everton which the Ayer two are a little unknown and we might just have a few of the next generation coming through 

carrey.gif.22c33e27eab5bc23b0d856ec6dd28c06.gif

10 hours ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

Thought dele was really good. His physical presence gives him a massive advantage. For a young lad he plays with confidence and swag. Thought shaw did ok. I’d like to see him tested a bit more. Brennan also did ok, a few sloppy moments but got away with it. 

cf6eff5c02cb51b70865d201cf4f8c81.gif

image.png

Edited by RUMBELOWS91
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, domSWFC said:

No disrespect to Rochdale but we can't get carried away with the performance. Granted, we played very well and looked a class above them. They've played very little competitive football so they were probably worse than they usually are. 

But, our youngsters did everything we could have asked of them, they played well, with maturity and class.

For now, Dele looks like he's the ideal strong powerful midfielder to replace Luongo late on in a game against tired legs. 

Hunt, I don't think I've seen a player like he come through our academy. A composed, tidy and technically gifted centre mid. Hopefully he can follow Palmer and make a big impact and become a player of the season. 

Shaw, he reminds me a bit of Beevers. Athletic, but raw. But definitely got ability. 

Hopefully we get another favourable draw in the next round to give tonight's team another chance to show what they can do. 

I think Shaw looked much more comfortable on the ball than Beevers ever did. 

• Like 2

was critical of Dele last night in the first half as i thought he wasn't getting involved and was sloppy in possession on a couple occasions. Second half he was a different player completely. Wanted the ball, careful with possession and always looking forward

Shaw and Brennan both looked very good last night. Would be ideal if we could manage to get at least one of them out on loan to get used to playing league football

MOM for me was Hunt. I know we were playing a lower 2nd div side but he ran the game and unlucky not to score

• Like 2

Great to hear we have some promising young lads coming through at long last. Ok Dele was from City but nothing wrong with signing prem academy players- I've been wanting us to do more of that for ages! Remember Brunt and Whelan were signed from them.

Very excited about Hunt and Dele. Both could be real contributors this season for us, especially if we stick with this midfield 3 where they could thrive.

And it's just nice to be hearing positivity in our predicament. Never expected this at all after the end to last season and pts deduction.

Edited by swfc-dan

Shaw - My MOTM last night. Who would have ever guessed that he is a 19 years old attacking midfielder starting only his 2'nd match for us ?! Looked composed and cultured on the ball,defended really well and won everything in the air. Shame that only header he miscued would have got him his first senior goal.

Hunt - Another one who did really well and could have easily got on the scoresheet with just a bit more luck. showed good touch, awareness and passing skill, and picked movement in front of him with ease.

Dele - At times run with the ball with ease of a NFL running back. Will be interesting to see if he can perform it against rugged Championship players. Showed bits of brilliance, but for long parts failed to influence the game. Promising performance non the less.

Brennan - Did really well for most of the game, especially considering he was making his Wednesday debut. His concentration dropped later in the game, but all in all it was really good debut from the Irishman.

Grant - Brought on as soon as we got 2'nd goal. Will be buzzing for making his Wednesday debut. Shame he didn't get bit more playing time to show us what he can do.

All in all, very promising game at Rochdale with all our youngsters doing well. certainly something we can all feel good about 😇

It’s very interesting that Monk has put Shaw in as a central defender.  Many top centre backs started life as a midfielder. Let’s hope Monk has had a master stroke.  
Only 19 and he looked a class above Rochdale last night.  

Looks like we are up against Fulham in the next round and I hope we see these  youngsters get a chance in that game too.   

• Like 1