Foul throws

On 15/09/2020 at 22:32, Swiss Toni said:

It usually goes on a lot more in all games previously and not picked up on. I’ve seen it creeping in for a number of years now, both that as well as stealing yards and feet well over the line. Could well be a directive given at the start of the season to officials to clamp down more on.

Your foot is allowed to be over the line

7 hours ago, Howards back said:

If you watch football this weekend I’m sure you will see the majority of throw in s are foul throws. It’s like someone said, it’s as if the rule has been scrapped. Most times the ball is thrown from the forehead. 

You’re not far off here.

I asked the head of referees about foul throws a couple of years ago and his answer was “as a ref if you are looking at the thrower you are looking in the wrong place”

which at grass roots level I’d agree with, but at pro level why the assistant can’t be looking is beyond me.

Having said that, it’s such a minor misdemeanour that it’s not really an issue especially if refs are consistent in any game. 

unless someone is hurling it on to the penalty spot or chucking it under arm through his legs then just get on with the game.

Edited by Ian

5 hours ago, Ian said:

Your foot is allowed to be over the line

No it’s not. On or behind the line is the FA ruling and always has been.

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:

-stand facing the field of play.

-have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline.

-throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play.

3 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

No it’s not. On or behind the line is the FA ruling and always has been.

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:

-stand facing the field of play.

-have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline.

-throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play.

You’ve told me I’m wrong and then posted information to tell me I am right????

the law used to be that the front of the foot must be on or behind the line. Now it is that only part of the foot must be on or behind the line.

Therefore If your heel is on the line, te front of your foot will be well over and it’s still ok

46 minutes ago, Ian said:

You’ve told me I’m wrong and then posted information to tell me I am right????

the law used to be that the front of the foot must be on or behind the line. Now it is that only part of the foot must be on or behind the line.

Therefore If your heel is on the line, te front of your foot will be well over and it’s still ok

The heel is part of your foot isn’t it? I’m talking the foot over the line. It happens a lot in football. Very similar to a no-ball in cricket.

I think it’s more to do with what your interpretation of a foot is. Last time I looked the heel was definitely part of the foot.

Edited by Swiss Toni

On 15/09/2020 at 22:19, bobbycraig said:

We have been crap at throw ins for some time, we always seem to lose possession from our throws. Needs some work, Garry!

Giving the opposition a throw courtesy of our foul throw is probably preferable to giving them the ball in open play due to our terrible throw ins usually.

Good thinking on our part to be fair.

On 16/09/2020 at 04:27, soldierboyblue said:

Not really keep your feet on the ground and make sure the ball is delivered from behind your head. Referees have let too much slide in the past and they are right to enforce the err rules

I was saying it's quite ridiculous that we are committing foul throws. The ref does right to give them. There are always too many not given. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ian said:

You’re not far off here.

I asked the head of referees about foul throws a couple of years ago and his answer was “as a ref if you are looking at the thrower you are looking in the wrong place”

which at grass roots level I’d agree with, but at pro level why the assistant can’t be looking is beyond me.

Having said that, it’s such a minor misdemeanour that it’s not really an issue especially if refs are consistent in any game. 

unless someone is hurling it on to the penalty spot or chucking it under arm through his legs then just get on with the game.

Particularly as you can't be offside from a throw. So what is he doing?