George Hirst @ Rotherham

20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That you said you were only judging players based on them playing only and not anything else

You said it yourself just now... 

Weird take on my original point. 

I’ll judge Westwood and Hutchinson on what they did for Wednesday. I’ll judge Hirst on engineering a move away and screwing us out of compo money.

BUT if you want me to judge him on his time in a Wednesday shirt (seen as you’ve taken that point so literally, for reasons only to be pedantic and a WUM, don’t worry I know what you’re doing)...

He made a couple of sub appearances with little influence on the game, scored loads for the youth team and then got big for his boots and didn’t want to sign the most lucrative deal we’ve ever offered to an unproven academy product DESPITE going on record as saying playing for us is a dream come true and we’re his boyhood club. 

You’re not winning here.

lol

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

He was, but the reasons why are not widely quoted 

Because DC felt him and his team disrespected the club. He said as much in his statement at the time. 

We know the chairman is big on respect. When you look at it from the clubs point of view, why would you continue to develop a player who has know interest in playing for the club? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A reminder to those defending Hirst. We told are side quite clearly at the time. All seems reasonable to me.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2017/december/ask-the-chairman---part-13/

Didn't Hirst senior say that he would set the record straight and tell us their version of the story

once George's contract with the club was at an end?

Still waiting............:wacko:

• Like 2

There's obviously the romantic view of a player coming through his hometown club where his father was a legend. Hoping that we had another like Gary Megson who was one of our own. But funny how things pan out, now its (Bradford and Hull City legend) Dean Windass's son who has the opportunity to become a Wednesday hero, and from what we've seen so far, he's the much better player.

Disappointing how it all panned out, but maybe it turns out the management was right. If he was asking for £10k a week in 2017, or even if those rumours aren't true and it was 'just' £5k - we would have been paying someone first team wages for over 3 years now - someone who is only now is just good enough to play for Rotherham. 

The only other point of principle is that we should decide on our fair valuation of Hirst (i.e. £3 million for arguments sake), and any time in the future Leicester want to sign any of our players, they will need to pay an extra £3m to get them. I.e. if Burnley and Leicester were to come in for Iorfa next season and a fair price is £6 million - then Burnley can have him for £6m, but Leicester have to pay £9m. Yeah, it may be a while before they need any of our players, but there will surely come a time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Because DC felt him and his team disrespected the club. He said as much in his statement at the time. 

We know the chairman is big on respect. When you look at it from the clubs point of view, why would you continue to develop a player who has know interest in playing for the club? 

No I absolutely agree you wouldn’t, and have long agreed with DC’s stance on the whole sorry thing 

I suppose I should have said the truth behind the story hasn’t always been widely quoted, many chose to think the Hirst family had valid reasons and the chairman was a liar 

As much as I love the legendary status of David Hirst, the club got turned over , and it wasn’t nasty man Chansiri to blame