George Hirst @ Rotherham

4 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Completely different.

George Hirst could have just left Wednesday for Leicester and that would’ve been the equivalent of no longer visiting the shop.

What Hirst did was ensure that the club missed out on a decent compensation package for the time, money and effort they spent in developing him. If we put this to your shop comparison it’s the equivalent of no longer visiting the shop, then ensuring you went out of your way  to damage that shop financially after you’d stopped going there.

Me personally, I’d just stop shopping there.

Interesting though, I’d be willing to bet that if this grubby practice were to become common place in football and Premier League clubs were to start taking young players away from lower league clubs for free more often, then the very people who are defending George Hirst and Leicester now would be the first to start kicking up a fuss when lower league clubs start suffering financially.

Leicester offered us £2m and the move was blocked

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Never seen The Full Monty.

Kes is definitely worth watching I would think most from around SY area would identify with it.  Plenty of local locations for you to film, but I if guess if you are to scared to go round Page Hall then Barnsley would terrify you

Never come across anyone who really disliked it.

I will give it a go - will see if  I can  find it on Sky etc now!

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Completely different.

George Hirst could have just left Wednesday for Leicester and that would’ve been the equivalent of no longer visiting the shop.

What Hirst did was ensure that the club missed out on a decent compensation package for the time, money and effort they spent in developing him. If we put this to your shop comparison it’s the equivalent of no longer visiting the shop, then ensuring you went out of your way  to damage that shop financially after you’d stopped going there. 

Same thing as I said about the shops then, and clearing off leaving the mad shopowner to go bust

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Ah I only saw the first one

Didn't even know there was this sequal

Sequel was much better

They got their baps out

5 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Leicester offered us £2m and the move was blocked

The club are within their rights to refuse bids for under contract players, as is any club.

That still doesn’t excuse the fact that rather just leave at the end of his contract (as is his right), Hirst and Leicester went out of their way to ensure the club missed out on compensation they were due for the time, money and effort they spent developing him.

It baffles me that some fans are ok with this.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

The club are within their rights to refuse bids for under contract players, as is any club.

That still doesn’t excuse the fact that rather just leave at the end of his contract (as is his right), Hirst and Leicester went out of their way to ensure the club missed out on compensation they were due for the time, money and effort they spent developing him.

It baffles me that some fans are ok with this.

After he was forced to not train or play for us any more. Effectively stalling his career for a year

I'm amazed some fans are ok with us treating our young players like that

24 minutes ago, Grandad said:

After he was forced to not train or play for us any more. Effectively stalling his career for a year

I'm amazed some fans are ok with us treating our young players like that

Hirst wanted a first team wage, the club rightly refused.

Hirst refused to sign a new deal, the club wrongly refused to play him for a year.

Right and wrong on both sides.

Doesn't change the fact that the club would screwed out of money they were owed to them for developing Hirst.

Would you be ok with this becoming common practice in the English game?

• Like 5

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

Hirst wanted a first team wage, the club rightly refused.

Hirst refused to sign a new deal, the club wrongly refused to play him for a year.

Right and wrong on both sides.

Doesn't change the fact that the club would screwed out of money they were owed to them for developing Hirst.

Would you be ok with this becoming common practice in the English game?

How was it viewed legally?

Did it even go to court?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

You're really embarrassing yourself now

Everyone in this thread has read it and agrees with me that George Hirst leaving is EXACTLY like a shopkeeper turning nasty and having bad customer service

Hahaha I’m embarrassing myself.... after you try to compare Hirst signing for Leicester via Belgium in order to avoid paying us compensation with you deciding to stop shopping in a shop you’d previously enjoyed going to.

Ok then.lol

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Hahaha I’m embarrassing myself.... after you try to compare Hirst signing for Leicester via Belgium in order to avoid paying us compensation with you deciding to stop shopping in a shop you’d previously enjoyed going to.

Ok then.lol

It's not MY favourite shop we're talking about here

It's YOURS

You're only affecting/upsetting yourself with this shop scenario

I've never even seen the shop never mind been in it so I can't be possibly affected

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop