EFL green light spectators this weekend

9 minutes ago, tashton said:

Club confirmed to me that anyone who has a multi year season ticket has priority over season ticket holders.  I'm wondering how many there are and if that leaves one year season ticket holders with not much chance.  I'm guessing there are alot of multi year season ticket holders 

Not sure how many there are but I'm guessing it could well be more than 1000.

If it goes down to who's got the longest one (ooh-er missus) I've got 4 years left on mine

1 minute ago, SwellOwl said:

1,000 spectators you can social distance. However, I can’t see many clubs backing this - once they covered the cost of stewards, bar staff etc, it will be at a loss.

I suggest wait till we can allow substantial amount of people returning. 

They’ll still run out of fuckingpies!

:duntmatter:

• Haha 5

32 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

A few will die on Owlstalk and a good few more will have loved ones who do/have then we’ll see how everyone feels....

Others will have it/have had it and some will survive with horrific long term consequences.

It’s all a big hoax though because it is in everyones interest to crash economies across the world for a hoax.

(Surely this thread might be best moved out of this forum)

Taking the long term emotional and psychological affects into consideration isn't tantamount to calling it a hoax though. Be responsible, but within reason.

For example, many of the evacuees of the 2011 tsunami in Fukashima still suffered from mental distress several years later. Do you think that's so different from taking away everyone's jobs, not letting kids go to school or outside, and having families cooped up in their flats for months on end?

Mental health is a real issue, and it's quite possible more will suffer psychologically than physically (with Covid). It's just not as simple and locking everything down indefinitely.

Edited by bobness
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

But it isn't about agreement or disagreement, it's about fact.

The scientific fact is that the primers used in the PCR test are specific to Covid-19. That means they match parts of the Covid-19 genome that are unique to Covid-19 and are not present on the genomes of other Coronaviruses. That also means it is impossible to complete a PCR reaction on any other Coronavirus cDNA strand, because the primers won't bind to it. I'm sorry if you don't believe that's the case, but it isn't a matter of belief, that's just biological fact. 

Look, here's a link to buy Covid-19 specific primers

https://www.biosearchtech.com/products/pcr-kits-and-reagents/pathogen-detection/2019-ncov-cdc-probe-and-primer-kit-for-sars-cov-2

Every lab doing testing on Covid-19 samples will have done internal QC checks to determine if these Covid-19 specific primers worked. If they were detecting false-positives from other Coronaviruses, it would have come up in this QC process... and they wouldn't continue to use the Covid-specific primers, they'd switch to cheaper generic Coronavirus primers and make more money with lower overheads. But labs haven't done that, because internal testing has shown it works and isn't prone to the same false-positives one would get if one used general Coronavirus primers. 

I'm open to being incorrect in the above, but you will need to explain why and how Covid-19 specific primers are binding to other Coronavirus cDNA fragments... because the above is all a very sound biological technique that has been applied in research ranging from bird-trait inheritance to cancer research for at least a decade before Covid-19 even existed. If you can't explain why and how Covid-19 specific primers are binding to Coronavirus cDNA fragments to yield false-positive results then maybe you should question why your source didn't bother to explain this... because whoever can explain this will probably win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for helping us realise one of our most established microbiology techniques is actually crap.

Guess it depends on which scientist you ask. Any how enjoy the match. 

8 minutes ago, bobness said:

(Surely this thread might be best moved out of this forum)

Taking the long term emotional and psychological affects into consideration isn't tantamount to calling it a hoax though. Be responsible, but within reason.

For example, many of the evacuees of the 2011 tsunami in Fukashima still suffered from mental distress several years later. Do you think that's so different from taking away everyone's jobs, not letting kids go to school or outside, and having families cooped up in their flats for months on end?

Mental health is a real issue, and it's quite possible more will suffer psychologically than physically (with Covid). It's just not as simple and locking everything down indefinitely.

The hoax claim was in direct response to some of the replies in this thread.

Re. mental health problems and PTSD both of which I suffer from I’ll save it for another day because I want to end this day positively watching Wednesday away at Rochdale....

:duntmatter:

Edited by sonofbert2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Point stands though, when you calculate the cost of opening to public, if bars are closed too, wouldn’t receive enough revenue.

If bars are closed the club wouldn't receive any revenue. Multi season ticket monies will be already spent so the only thing the club could do is lose money by paying staffing costs. I suppose the only incentive would be that if having 1000 supporters proves to have no adverse effect, the numbers could be gradually raised until normal capacity could be reached.

38 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

But it isn't about agreement or disagreement, it's about fact.

The scientific fact is that the primers used in the PCR test are specific to Covid-19. That means they match parts of the Covid-19 genome that are unique to Covid-19 and are not present on the genomes of other Coronaviruses. That also means it is impossible to complete a PCR reaction on any other Coronavirus cDNA strand, because the primers won't bind to it. I'm sorry if you don't believe that's the case, but it isn't a matter of belief, that's just biological fact. 

Look, here's a link to buy Covid-19 specific primers

https://www.biosearchtech.com/products/pcr-kits-and-reagents/pathogen-detection/2019-ncov-cdc-probe-and-primer-kit-for-sars-cov-2

Every lab doing testing on Covid-19 samples will have done internal QC checks to determine if these Covid-19 specific primers worked. If they were detecting false-positives from other Coronaviruses, it would have come up in this QC process... and they wouldn't continue to use the Covid-specific primers, they'd switch to cheaper generic Coronavirus primers and make more money with lower overheads. But labs haven't done that, because internal testing has shown it works and isn't prone to the same false-positives one would get if one used general Coronavirus primers. 

I'm open to being incorrect in the above, but you will need to explain why and how Covid-19 specific primers are binding to other Coronavirus cDNA fragments... because the above is all a very sound biological technique that has been applied in research ranging from bird-trait inheritance to cancer research for at least a decade before Covid-19 even existed. If you can't explain why and how Covid-19 specific primers are binding to Coronavirus cDNA fragments to yield false-positive results then maybe you should question why your source didn't bother to explain this... because whoever can explain this will probably win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry for helping us realise one of our most established microbiology techniques is actually crap.

Don't mate, science is so last year.  

13 minutes ago, Halifax Owls said:

Guess it depends on which scientist you ask. Any how enjoy the match. 

I don't think any scientist would make an argument that molecule-specific primers can somehow enable reactions in molecules that don't share those primer sequencing. That would be insane.

Your reply shows you have no idea what I'm talking about, or the process that I'm talking about, so it's very safe to say that you're getting this view from a source you have no capability of determining the accuracy from.

Let me help you out, as someone that sets up PCR reactions as a job and has handled about 5,000 Covid samples: What you believe is simply not possible. Sorry if that stings. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

If bars are closed the club wouldn't receive any revenue. Multi season ticket monies will be already spent so the only thing the club could do is lose money by paying staffing costs. I suppose the only incentive would be that if having 1000 supporters proves to have no adverse effect, the numbers could be gradually raised until normal capacity could be reached.

There's argument of investing in maintaining habits and patterns, even if there isn't an immediate return. For example, with some materials recycling is a wasted exercise (it costs more to recycle than to bin, and often recyclables are binned by the recycling-plant anyway), yet recycling programmes and governments are still maintaining a position that such things should be recycled. The fear is that reeducation (for when recycling starts making sense again) would end up costing more. It's a long term play.

Similarly, the longer football fans are kept away, the harder it might be getting them to return.

• Like 1

Guest REDAs_biG_piECE

I for one have 0% fear of the alleged virus threat and would be happy to sign a disclaimer accepting full responsibility for my own health and well-being as an adult capable of thinking for myself. I don’t expect the club to have to do anything on my behalf

As such please add me to the list for earliest re-admittance to my church at S6

1 minute ago, bobness said:

There's argument of investing in maintaining habits and patterns, even if there isn't an immediate return. For example, with some materials recycling is a wasted exercise (it costs more to recycle than to bin, and often recyclables are binned by the recycling-plant anyway), yet recycling programmes and governments are still maintaining a position that such things should be recycled. The fear is that reeducation (for when recycling starts making sense again) would end up costing more. It's a long term play.

Similarly, the longer football fans are kept away, the harder it might be getting them to return.

I agree with the concept but I think a lot of clubs maybe can't afford to open up for just 1000 fans. Could even possibly be a quicker road to administration for some.

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

I agree with the concept but I think a lot of clubs maybe can't afford to open up for just 1000 fans. Could even possibly be a quicker road to administration for some.

Everyone on negative 12 points then? Sounds like a good thing.

we.are.going.up

:Chansiri:

• Like 2