EFL green light spectators this weekend

7 minutes ago, Willow Owl said:

Working everyday on the frontline as in the health and safety game.

The  question was regarding a ballot, not the pandemic issues.

If you want to start a thread about the pandemic then do so.

The ballot is necessary due to the pandemic issues as they've determined we can only have a 1000 people in the stadium, it's part of the discussion to talk about whether or not this is appropriate and why it is or isn't.

If you want to moderate discussions on Owlstalk, message Neil and see if he's hiring :biggrin:

• Like 1

The virus is very real, deadly, and people should go about their daily lives with a lot of caution, making sensible adjustments when necessary.

That said, I really don't see 1,000 people going to Hillsborough to watch a game as a problem, and if anything seems a bloody nice thing*. 

*I wanted to say "good for people's mental health", but it's watching Wednesday so......... yeah.

Edited by StudentOwl
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Talking of spectators in stadiums has anyone got a refund yet for the Bristol City away tickets?

I went in to the ticket office with my BC ticket last week. Very helpful chap said there had been an option to apply for a refund for it on line during the 2nd wave of ST refund applications that was now closed

Told him that I hadnt seen that and it wasnt well advertised so he over rode the system and logged me down for it.

Told me that I will be getting a phone call to refund it along with the ST money and presume everyone will be the same.

Seems a bit old fashioned and long winded but that seems to be how it is

39 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Nope, but a background in statistics and modelling (not that sort unfortunately...) that can spot bullshiit numbers, interpretation and hyperbole a mile off. 

So perhaps you could kindly enlighten us which numbers specifically are “bullshit” and, if possible, provide us with a link to where we can locate and review the correct numbers.

Many thanks in advance

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gather the EFL are allowing 'pilot' games with a max of 1000 spectators from next weekend.

Clubs have to put in a request to the EFL by today, for games this weekend.

I wonder if Wednesday will apply for the Watford game to be a pilot.

Even 1,000 fans will be better than an empty stadium and give us a bit of a home advantage.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, A12owl said:

That's not a good argument I'm afraid. The young and healthy then mix with the not so young and healthy then they mix with everybody else and the flippin thing spreads again. 

Lockdown proved its worth although it should have been done much sooner. 

What is more important, lives or the economy. 

Not an easy decision unless you are one whose life would be put in danger if restrictions are eased too far. 

I understand your argument but somewhere along the line people have to start taking responsibility for their own health.  The numbers suggest that those infected are largely young and healthy. If you are in one if the vulnerable categories you need to take care of yourself and limit any exposure. The rest of the country should not need to suffer. 
By the way I am speaking as someone approaching 70 not a selfish youngster 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Any decision to get loads of people in on place is reckless and thoughtless. Unless people want another total lockdown then stop any crowds anywhere. 

The ultimate decision will be with the 1000 that apply to attend, and they will sit in a stadium that houses between 35k-38k, or if just one stand is to be used, approx 11k on the South..  There are many more unsafe working areas in offices and factories right now that will be at Hillsborough for a game.

I respect anyone who wants to shield and protect themselves, and the best way to do that is not to go, likewise not in to pubs or workplaces, but that's not for everyone nor is it a plan by anyone.  By stopping people taking part in recreational aspects of life, such as going to pubs, going to matches, you'd be in a de-facto lockdown anyway

As an aside, 32m people have used Wetherspoons since the pubs re-opened.   

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Stupid decision. But then we are talking EFL. 

Infection rate on the increase by massive amounts. "R" rate supposedly well above 1.

Gatherings reduced to 6. 

What are they thinking. Probably not thinking at all. 

Madness. 

The PL are lobbying HMG to let people back in to stadia - the EFL are probably piggy backing this. Clubs are warning people that they will cease to exist if they can't get people back in the grounds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Stupid decision. But then we are talking EFL. 

Infection rate on the increase by massive amounts. "R" rate supposedly well above 1.

Gatherings reduced to 6. 

What are they thinking. Probably not thinking at all. 

Madness. 

As said in previous posts, criminal/ridiculous the policies made considering the threat to the majority of the 65 million population.

Shield the vulnerable, open up society and football grounds!

EgduynpXYAE6nhQ.jpg.accf2bba5e33e024ee89e7c370bafdb6.jpg

Edited by AwokenGiant
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

So perhaps you could kindly enlighten us which numbers specifically are “bullshit” and, if possible, provide us with a link to where we can locate and review the correct numbers.

Many thanks in advance

Here are some numbers. These are NHS England website but the screenshot is from Twitter. Running total of deaths in hospital purely from Covid19 up to 26th August. 1390

Screenshot_2020-08-31 Vicky on Twitter 1.png

6 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I don't want to have to stay indoors and shield myself. I had 4 months and that was more than enough. What I want is for people consider others and not just themselves. It happened during lockdown when it was a given but now some seem to think they can make their own decisions. You can't. Decisions are ruled by those in power. Like it or not, agree with it or not. This virus needs to be controlled and the best way is social distancing at least. It's not that difficult. Next is reduce the number of contacts people have. It's not that difficult. 

There is a mentality amongst some groups that, it isn't going to happen to me and if it does I'm not going to die. 

There are others that will if people take that attitude. 

And what about the approx 35k people who have not got early diagnosis of cancer and other life threatening illnesses - it can be easily flipped around. We got to think about others of course, but the majority of people are not at risk so shield those that are. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

As said in previous posts, criminal/ridiculous the policies made considering the threat to the majority of the 65 million population.

Shield the vulnerable, open up society and football grounds!

EgduynpXYAE6nhQ.jpg.accf2bba5e33e024ee89e7c370bafdb6.jpg

And yet nearly every country on earth has put in place similar policies and continues to do so. 

3 minutes ago, Twaddle said:

Here are some numbers. These are NHS England website but the screenshot is from Twitter. Running total of deaths in hospital purely from Covid19 up to 26th August. 1390

Screenshot_2020-08-31 Vicky on Twitter 1.png

Deaths WITH condition, but not FROM condition. 

Subtle, but significant difference. 

• Like 2