Barnsley looking for a new home

15 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Clearly this is what would happen, why some people can’t get their heads around this I don’t know.

they can't get their head around it for one of 3 things...

1) they like to sit wringing their hands

2) they can't understand anything outside their own experiences in this world

3) they think they're smarter than the owner.

what puzzles me is why people (and let's be extremely polite here) with less than a £million seem free to offer financial advice to a bloke that's loaded. 

it's like a bloke who can't afford a 99 saying to a multimillionaire "i'll show you how to handle money".

12 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

what puzzles me is why people (and let's be extremely polite here) with less than a £million seem free to offer financial advice to a bloke that's loaded. 

it's like a bloke who can't afford a 99 saying to a multimillionaire "i'll show you how to handle money".

How did our chairman make his money that shows more experience than anyone on here?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

13 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Sure there are a number of brown field sites available in Barnsley, plenty of big industrial sites keep getting built round Grimesthorpe etc. Would have thought they could develop Oakwell just like they did with Highbury....after all it is far older and an historic venue.

Look at Brighton out of town new build...full each week, Reebok another one. 

where the hell can you build around 'grimey'?

i was up there a couple of months ago, one side looked like the grand canyon after a tunguska size meteor strike.

the low side is a wetland sanctuary , thus flooded. 

top side is a huge hill to brierley.

that leaves a very heavily wooded area, or playing on the side of the old muck stack.

the old muck stack idea might be appealing to them as the first time i went to jokewell (we gave then a 0-3 hiding opening game of the season) we we're stood on an open kop built of colliery waste. 

a dry early august day, everytime we scored a cloud of coal dust went up, i think big jack told the lads to leave it at 3 or the fans will have pneumoconiosis. 

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How did our chairman make his money that shows more experience than anyone on here?

it's not about making money, it's about handling it.

look at the number of pissheands that won on the footy pools, or huge lottery winners, couldn't handle it, blew the lot, and returned to square one.

Just now, dorian gray said:

look at the number of pissheands that won on the footy pools, or huge lottery winners, couldn't handle it, blew the lot, and returned to square one.

And how would you say our chairman has fared in that respect?

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, dorian gray said:

Our Chairman has shown he's pretty special at wasting money so far.

He's hugely popular in Portugal too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

And how would you say our chairman has fared in that respect?

it's his money, i assume from the way he has spoken since buying the club that he has plenty, and plenty left.

owning a football club is running an expensive business, and like any expensive business easy to lose money on to someone new to the game.

i imagine IF he was starting out now with 20/20 hindsight he'd perhaps choose different advisors on all things football.

but how new is the family to buying and selling property and businesses?

the family counsellors will be used to handling business and property sales, but not running a footy club.

12 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

his advice on 'all things football' would come from outside of the family circle as far as i would expect, do you not see that?

we all know how 'advisors' were brought in.

22 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

there is so much to say on that matter that is abundantly obvious, but unwise to do so.

had you bought the club, set advisors on, they had given you the names of some 'known' people in the game that you'd failed to land, THEN came up with a bloke who'd had X amount of jobs in so many years, and hadn't worked for how long?

what would you have done next?

59 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

My financial advice would be:

Be born into a minted family.

Don’t waste it on a football club.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

My financial advice would be:

Be born into a minted family.

Don’t waste it on a football club.

i agree totally, i couldn't agree more.

but he chose to dive in, it's his money not mine or yours, so...

once whilst having nothing much to do and imagining i'd a euromillions rollover win to spend my thoughts turned to buying swfc off mm.

looking at what my expected costs were over 3/5 years i realised i needed a second euromillions rollover win to do it.

49 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

maybe because he's already got Millions. One doesn't have to have sex to have babies. I would venture  to suggest that none of he world's richest people ever 'got their hands dirty at the coal face or on the factory floor.'.

16 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

maybe because he's already got Millions. One doesn't have to have sex to have babies. I would venture  to suggest that none of he world's richest people ever 'got their hands dirty at the coal face or on the factory floor.'.

None?

Alan Sugar, Steve Jobs, Richard Branson, Elon Musk, Bezos: All these people were the ones that were off the top of my head, and they all did something, created or designed something, either setup their own companies and grew them, or worked their way up through usual routes before branching out.

Chansiri's dad taught a language and traded in rice before setting up TUG himself.  What job did Chansiri have before taking over Wednesday? 

So much forelock tugging going on.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, SiJ said:

Not the same scenario though, quite far from it.

They moved into the Ricoh arena which I believe was owned by the council. 

The fallouts and them moving out (twice) were due to arguments over rent as tenants, how much money they could make from matchday etc.

Whilst our situation is far from ideal, it is quite different.

No- Wasps, is seems, have owned the Ricoh since 2014.

In October 2014 Wasps announced that from December 2014 they would play their home games at the Ricoh Arena. On 14 November 2014 Wasps confirmed the purchase of the final 50% of shares in the stadium from the Higgs Charity to become outright owners of the facility.

Apart from Coventry, Charlton also lost the Valley when a former owner kept the land around for development.  He chose to fence the land off, which made access impossible, and the authorities closed the ground down.  Took years for Charlton to get back.

And Brightons owners sold the Goldstone for redevelopment but never built a new stadium.   Brighton had to play at Gillingham and eventually returned- to The Withdean.... a tiny athletics ground.

Not saying any of this will happen to Wednesday....  What could possibly go wrong for us?

On 14/09/2020 at 23:59, westy365owl said:

If we were to offer Hillsborough as a ground share I'm assuming that what ever rent we charge them would count as money in towards FFP or whatever its called these days , if so might be worth looking into especially with the lack of crowds at moment 

Should charge them £60m odd and back date it to 2018.

• Haha 1

On 14/09/2020 at 23:59, westy365owl said:

If we were to offer Hillsborough as a ground share I'm assuming that what ever rent we charge them would count as money in towards FFP or whatever its called these days , if so might be worth looking into especially with the lack of crowds at moment 

We'd need to fumigate Hillsborough after every Barnsley game, to get rid of the livestaock the 6 fingered ones bring with them. Probably cost more than the rent we'd get for the use of the ground.