Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, Elderly Owl said:

We’re all football fans at the end of the day. It’s the fans who pick up the pieces when the “businessmen” have gone to other “ projects”.  We were saved at the last minute, but only by someone who saw the opportunity to make money. Altruism, as they say, is sadly gone.

 

I’m pleased we have Mr Chansiri. He may have made mistakes ( we all do!) but once again he’s putting his money where his mouth is and backing the Manager.  I’d rather have DC as Chairman than most of the owners and conglomerates that run football in this country. Maybe we should consider our good fortune?

 


 

 

I don't know what to make of it all to be honest, soon as big money is involved then it seems all sensibilities go out of the window. 

 

Football really needs to come together, instead of this gold rush mentality.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Elderly Owl said:

I’m pleased we have Mr Chansiri. He may have made mistakes ( we all do!) but once again he’s putting his money where his mouth is and backing the Manager.  I’d rather have DC as Chairman than most of the owners and conglomerates that run football in this country. Maybe we should consider our good fortune?

 

I'd rather DC than the clowns that bought Wigan. Need to pray that whoever eventually supersedes DC is not a rip-off merchant. Football has become a playground for the ultra-rich who like a bet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Mate just sent me this from their forum................... 

 

New ground ..... how’s about £u&@ off

 

Barnsley have held talks with other EFL clubs about a shock move away from Oakwell amid a furious row over the purchase of the ground - and could even play their home games in Lancashire.

The 's owners have failed in an attempt to buy a half share of the stadium and Sportsmail understands that they have now engaged in discussions with other clubs about what would be a highly-controversial switch.

A source close to Barnsley, who have played at Oakwell for 132 years, disclosed that a number of other sides have been spoken to about hosting the club's matches, including two in Lancashire.

Barnsley have held talks with other EFL clubs about a controversial move away from Oakwell
In what may well be a high-stakes move designed to ramp up pressure on the local council, which owns 50 per cent of the ground, Barnsley have taken action.

While the club declined to comment, the source said that the blocking of a previous attempt to buy half of stadium from the authority left the majority owners - Chinese businessman Chien Lee and US colleague Paul Conway - 'discouraged and immediately seeking alternative arrangements'.

They added that the investment would have improved 'dated infrastructure which is rapidly heading into a state of disrepair' and say the move has been made on the back of limited matchday revenue forecasts thanks to the Covid pandemic and continuing behind-closed-doors football.

Click here to resize this module

'The current landowners do not contribute toward maintenance which makes yearly costs very difficult for the club,' they said.

Any such move would need permission from the EFL board. Fellow Championship club Coventry City, in dispute with landlords Wasps over the Ricoh Arena, are currently playing their matches at Birmingham City's St Andrew's.

Barnsley are also in dispute with former owners the Cryne family, who own the other 50 per cent of Oakwell. They say the family will not part with their share, which was agreed in the initial deal and have rejected 'a variety of proposals'.

The Crynes, who still own 20 per cent of the club, deny suggestions they refused to sell and told the Barnsley Chronicle that they are taking legal action for £2.75m they claim they are still owed from the sale of the club against Lee and Conway as 'a last resort'.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why  do OT osters always look at  the dark side of things, and, when money is concerned, alwaays look for the dark side of things?

 

The issue at Oakwell lies not in the present, but in the past. When the ground was originally built,it was built on what was Council owned land. In order to build a stadium and form a football club, In order to do this, the Council insisted that they CO-OWN the ground .This has remained the cseup to today. The new owners were  quite willing to buy the club , knowing that the Council owned 50% of the ground. The Owners then approached the Council, with a view to purchasing the other 50% The council refused, knowig that the land itself wa worth more to them than say using the land as Development, or even a car park.! Despite the usually held idea, for small clubs outside the Premiership, life is not the bed of roses it may  seem, A good example of this was the site of   the old Wdnesdayite car park. Ideal for Wednesday to buy, maybe, but more lucrative for the Owners to sell for development.

 

As for the sale of Hillsborough, surely that was an in-house sale. Don't forget that Chansiri owns Hillsborough lock stock and barrel The sale of the ground was a matter of putting money from one pocket to the other.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar to Cov and the Ricoh then?

 

That was owned by the council who then ended up selling it to the rugby team. Think it was Wasps? 

 

The fact that Chansiri (or Sheffield 3) owns the ground is a point of concern going forward. 

 

Still - given Barnsley and how vocal they were last season about everyone being in the wrong, I and a few others are finding it mildly amusing.

 

If that offends some people then so be it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jack the Hat said:

I’ve got quite a big garden and there’s a shed at the bottom although the the roof is rotting . If they buy the plywood and help me fit it , they can play there next season for nowt.

has to be marine grade plywood though!

Hope you've got good quality black out curtains so you dont have to watch em play mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got no sympathy for them after the self-righteous way they carried on towards the end of last season? Why don’t they write a letter to the council? They’re very good at that?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Johnny12Inch said:

Would be if we actually owned the stadium.....

Who is we?

Do you mean the fans? If so 'we' didn't own the stadium - Chansiri did

And now it is in the control of his family.

But keep peddling the slack brained myth.....

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Don't wish Barnsley any ill will, will gloat if I come across a Dingle fan but they should be playing at Oakwell, seems there is a power struggle.

 

Hope they sort it out. 

TBH, agree with you, don't mind Barnsley fans good value and up themselves l8ke some local clubs. Seems strange though that they have mega wealthy owners but no one seems to be able to sort the ownership of the ground out. With all the money why not build another ground?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buxtongent said:

Why  do OT osters always look at  the dark side of things, and, when money is concerned, alwaays look for the dark side of things?

 

The issue at Oakwell lies not in the present, but in the past. When the ground was originally built,it was built on what was Council owned land. In order to build a stadium and form a football club, In order to do this, the Council insisted that they CO-OWN the ground .This has remained the cseup to today. The new owners were  quite willing to buy the club , knowing that the Council owned 50% of the ground. The Owners then approached the Council, with a view to purchasing the other 50% The council refused, knowig that the land itself wa worth more to them than say using the land as Development, or even a car park.! Despite the usually held idea, for small clubs outside the Premiership, life is not the bed of roses it may  seem, A good example of this was the site of   the old Wdnesdayite car park. Ideal for Wednesday to buy, maybe, but more lucrative for the Owners to sell for development.

 

As for the sale of Hillsborough, surely that was an in-house sale. Don't forget that Chansiri owns Hillsborough lock stock and barrel The sale of the ground was a matter of putting money from one pocket to the other.

 

A perfect example of the complete lack of understanding

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 


The ground has been sold to a third party company

Which are bought and sold all the time

 

A company which has a legal contract in place for a 30 year rent of £3m per annum - with the asset not transferring on completion

 

Makes the value of that company huge (certainly worth a damn sight more than Sheffield Wednesday)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, westy365owl said:

If we were to offer Hillsborough as a ground share I'm assuming that what ever rent we charge them would count as money in towards FFP or whatever its called these days , if so might be worth looking into especially with the lack of crowds at moment 

Except we no longer own the ground so all the rent would go to Sheffield2 or whatever company owns it. I don't think we could count that as money going to the club without it counting as the owner (or a company he owns) putting more money into the club. 

Edited by Daizan10
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the holier than thou derby is taking place at the riverside tonight in the Carabao Cup 2nd Round? 

 

Who are the losing side going to blame for their exit tonight? Rants and letters on there way to EFL headquarters tomorrow mefinks? 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Interesting that former owners still own 50% shares in the stadium. Still, that's the risk you take when a club doen't own their ground outright. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...

...

......

what happened to the dingles wasn't selling it to themselves, that's where it falls down, stop looking for the panic button.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, westy365owl said:

If we were to offer Hillsborough as a ground share I'm assuming that what ever rent we charge them would count as money in towards FFP or whatever its called these days , if so might be worth looking into especially with the lack of crowds at moment 

they hate wednesday to the core, they'll have approached toytown, the sty, and donny, then gone into lancashire.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...