Players we signed who were too good for us

3 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Weirdest thread I've ever had the misfortune to come across on here.

No player was, is or will ever be too good for us.  I don't want to be controversial, but if you think differently, you are supporting the wrong club.

You really are dim aren't you, as i've said above not too good to play for Wednesday but in terms of ability of where we were at the time. Take Antonio as an example he was too good to play for us in League One. He was at least a Championship standard player at the time and was playing below his level

• Like 2
Just now, IWEDFM said:

You really are dim aren't you, as i've said above not too good to play for Wednesday but in terms of ability of where we were at the time. Take Antonio as an example he was too good to play for us in League One. He was at least a Championship standard player at the time and was playing below his level

Sorry mate, I disagree.  No player will ever be too good to play for Wednesday, no matter what the circumstances are.  No real fan would say otherwise.

• Like 4
Just now, Sham67 said:

Sorry mate, I disagree.  No player will ever be too good to play for Wednesday, no matter what the circumstances are.  No real fan would say otherwise.

Ok i'm not a real fan

1 minute ago, IWEDFM said:

Antonio's career was on an upward trajectory though, at the time he played for us he was a good League One player, he then did it at Championship level, despite that unforgivable period when he to5sed it off in his last few games for us, before starting for West Ham in the Prem, he was never "too good" for us though.

• Like 1
Just now, The_Limit_Owl said:

Antonio's career was on an upward trajectory though, at the time he played for us he was a good League One player, he then did it at Championship level, despite that unforgivable period when he to5sed it off in his last few games for us, before starting for West Ham in the Prem, he was never "too good" for us though.

I think he was too good for that level. No other player in League One that year would have finished the way he did vs Wycombe for the first goal. True he got even better after he left us but he was still a cut above for that league at that time. His pace, his finishing, just miles ahead of anyone else in our promotion year

27 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Take Antonio as an example he was too good to play for us in League One.

Why was he?  He'd played 28 games in the Championship in four years before joining us.  He'd been at Cheltenham and Colchester before us.  Also been at Southampton before us, when they were in League 1.

Maybe just once, we set a player on their way to much better things.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Antonio 

Ben Saha 

Hector 

Gardner 

Turner - keeper we had on loan from Everton think? 

I even thought the likes of Tudgay could’ve done better in a better side

Hector..? Nah

Think we made him look good

56 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

He only played for us in L1 as a loanee though, and when we bought him in the summer Reading were happy enough to take £700k or so for him.

Stinks that we offloaded him for a pittance at £1.7m though, once he'd proven himself to be a very good Championship player.

4 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Kenwyne Jones - A relative unknown when we signed him but 7 goals in 7 matches at League One level proved he was far too good for where we were at the time

Madjid Bougherra - A rock at the back and those darting runs into the opposition half were exceptional. I was gutted when he was sold

Ross Barkley - He was tipped to be the new Lampard/Gerrard so was something of a surprise when we signed him on loan. Showed glimpses of his potential but was much younger back then. Still chipped in with 4 or 5 goals if my memory is correct

Scott Carson - He was superb during a loan spell, a class above. Much younger back then and was considered a future England International

Can anyone think of any others?

Bougherra too good for us???

Youre taking the ******** right......he wasn’t even good enough for us.

as said earlier,  no one has been too good for us.....even some of the best players mentioned on here were playing in the equivalent of a top 4 prem side

But to play the game I’ll add Ante....none of the team were good enough to realise he was going to knock an aimless ball in to no where and be there to make him look good.....but he was foreign so he must have been too good for the team

1 hour ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

Odd flashes, carrying the team, nah, like I said he was a complete disgrace of a player who took the proverbial out of us fans.

I’m sorry but that is utter garbage. If he was taking the wee wee as you suggest, why did he win player of the year ( wasn’t it twice?) I think he was our top scorer for three seasons with around 15 goals.

The people that slagged him were probably Andy Booth fans.

Edited by sexpistol
17 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I’m sorry but that is utter garbage. If he was taking the wee wee as you suggest, why did he win player of the year ( wasn’t it twice?) I think he was our top scorer for three seasons with around 15 goals.

The people that slagged him were probably Andy Booth fans.

He was a disgrace, end of.

It's an interesting question and the posters who are going "If you think any player in history was too good for the Wednesday, you're not a TRUEFAN (tm)" are predictably spouting nonsense.

One name I haven't seen on here - Lee Chapman. Did well for us but L***s built a side around him and it worked a treat. Possibly Degryse in a different way (we could have built a side around him but didn't)...

1 minute ago, The_Limit_Owl said:

He was a disgrace, end of.

The stats say otherwise. If you are going to make statements like that, why not back it up with some form of cohesive argument.

I will give you 3 years in a row top scorer.

Twice player of the year. How many other players have won this more than once?

Single handedly carried the team for more than one season.