Players we signed who were too good for us

Wouldn’t count Carbone and Di Canio at the time. They were exactly the calibre we should’ve been going for more regularly as an established side in that league. 

Agree with some of the loan suggestions though, Kenwyne Jones when we were on the bones of our backside was beyond what we could attract then. Would’ve been interesting had sturrock made a bid for him before taking him on loan though. He wasn’t wanted at Southampton and had been playing cb but a loan here turned his career around and took him out of our reach. 

I've been watching us for over 50 years and there are only 2 candidates in this topic, the 2 TC's. I can't really remember Craig but I get the impression that he was far too good for the players around him.

I did, however, see a lot of Curran. He was way too good for the old third division being a reasonable first division player. This was evident when he tore many defences to shreds in our promotion season of 79/80. I know he was a fan but it still amazes that Big Jack (god rest his soul) could persuade Curran to sign for us 

• Like 2

What is this self flagilation at the wailing wall . No player ever was too good for any team they played for , not one . They all come and go on permanent or loan knowing where they are going and who they are playing with and they still go . Like a president once said , ask not what players were too good for you but instead ask what players should have done more . Or something like that . Dark side signing twenty million quid players and we are talking about players too good for us .