5 hours ago, s29wfc said:

Watford have injuries galore, 3 pts for us on Saturday. 

They also have a huge squad of quality players. Will be a hard game and I’d take a draw in this one. 0-0 and another clean sheet wouldn’t be a bad result 

The deduction had to be used as motivation for the squad to use it positively and catch up.

Cardiff was a decent result, you have to back it up and Watford will be a real test.

If we look at it historically - staying up this season is the equivalent of finishing 12th last season. Previous two seasons before that it’s more like 15th and back up to 11th for the season before them. It’s basically a question of “are we a top half side?” That should be possible with this squad + a striker + a bit of injury luck.  

I’m feeling a bit more confident now that, over a full season, we’re in with a good shout of getting enough points to stay up.

But, with people talking about a second lockdown, can we get enough points to be out of the relegation zone before we get to the half way stage of the season - 23 games. ?

My understanding is - and I’m more than happy to be corrected if wrong - is that the positions would stand as final if the season had to be suspended, once more than half the games had been played.

Can we get enough points to be out of the relegation zone by 23 games - I’m less confident of this.

Lets just hope this becomes academic !

4 hours ago, Spookone said:

I have always thought we would stay up - we just don't belong in L1 and the football gods know that and will intervene if needed, to make it so.

I thought like that in the winter of 02-03 and again in 09-10. Just ask L***s - no-one's too big to go down...

8 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

I’m feeling a bit more confident now that, over a full season, we’re in with a good shout of getting enough points to stay up.

But, with people talking about a second lockdown, can we get enough points to be out of the relegation zone before we get to the half way stage of the season - 23 games. ?

My understanding is - and I’m more than happy to be corrected if wrong - is that the positions would stand as final if the season had to be suspended, once more than half the games had been played.

Can we get enough points to be out of the relegation zone by 23 games - I’m less confident of this.

Lets just hope this becomes academic !

I would have thought that if the season is cut short the 12 points deduction should become a pro rata deduction ie. after 23 games it should be 6 points not 12.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, oldishowl said:

If we win Saturday we will be 6 points away from staying up.

It will depend on how we do against the bottom 4 or 5 clubs.

Need to beat 

That first statement .....frightening folk think like that !

17 hours ago, stocksyuto said:

If monk gets us to 0 in 6 games then itll be the best start we have had to a season with any manager

It won't. 

David Pleat got 12 points from 4 games in the PL, and off the top of my head Atkinson, Wilkinson and Charlton all had seasons where we got more than 12 points from the first 6. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, alanharper said:

It won't. 

David Pleat got 12 points from 4 games in the PL, and off the top of my head Atkinson, Wilkinson and Charlton all had seasons where we got more than 12 points from the first 6. 

Yea wasnt sure about them mostly before my time but what I see is if monk manages it hes match or broke a record help for over 25 years not bad that

You would hope we could win 4 more games than 3 clubs in this league and stay up. In addition with this Covid situation could even be other clubs suffering from deductions if finances are depleted.

As per most seasons usually get an idea of the league after 10 games.

23 hours ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

I have no doubt we’re staying up. In fact, I expect us to make play-offs at least. I think we now have one of the best Championship “teams” in the league. There was a calmness, a certain “smartness” about how we played on Saturday which I don’t even remember from the Carlos years. It’s something I’ve seen in the teams that have been promoted. Albeit, one is a rather small sample size... but I am confident. Plus, there’s still a small chance that our points deduction might be reversed/reduced.

Play-offs at least?! Looking at what the teams who finished 6th have got in the last 4 seasons, you'd need on average 76 points a season to make the top 6, so make that 88 for us this season with our points deduction, which would be 26 wins and 10 draws.

It's good to see some optimism for a change, but "play-offs at least" I think is very unrealistic, especially when judging us after one league game, I really don't think we have the players to get 26 wins or more.

Obviously I really hope you're right.

18 hours ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I would have thought that if the season is cut short the 12 points deduction should become a pro rata deduction ie. after 23 games it should be 6 points not 12.

I bet that the EFL haven't thought about that one... Standby for more legal wrangles.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

I bet that the EFL haven't thought about that one... Standby for more legal wrangles.

I think you are spot on with that unless they announced the rules for a curtailed season before we had got our deduction. In that case I think they will be keeping it quiet so as not to get any flack right now. In the meantime they will just keep fingers crossed that the season is completed.

• Like 1