Squad looking better

4 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Totally agree with your striker assessment were well short of quality and goals. Think in Rhodes we all know what we have, capable of the goals by getting on the end of stuff but hasnt produced for years, also offers nothing else. Kachunga will work hard but dont see goals in him.

Windass however is a weird one. I didnt rate him when we got him and didnt even think he was a striker. And as you have pointed out his record isnt good. BUT.....

He is by no means a good footballer in the league of strikers we have had recently in Wickham Forestieri Joao Hooper Fletcher etc but he has decent attributes as in size strength stature and pace, and looks like he knows where the net is and can finish. His biggest assest is work rate he doesnt seem to give defenders a second. In our current set up i can see him scoring goals, reminds me a bit of when we put Warhurst up front. I know there leagues apart but he had pace and he tried so hard and shot at every opportunity.  

Zahore is a weird one, he looks to have the attributes we need but he again doesnt score the goals we need. If were talking about paying him or West Brom decent money id prefer it spent on someone who will get us goals.

It’s a weird reversal of how we used to do things. Previously, we seemed to look at the goals a striker had scored, without bothering about other attributes, I’m thinking Rhodes and Winnall here. Now though, we are looking at players who have the attributes to fit the team dynamic. I prefer the current policy, mainly because it is a team game, and if those players help the side function as a proper team, maybe we can overcome the lack of goals.

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

It’s a weird reversal of how we used to do things. Previously, we seemed to look at the goals a striker had scored, without bothering about other attributes, I’m thinking Rhodes and Winnall here. Now though, we are looking at players who have the attributes to fit the team dynamic. I prefer the current policy, mainly because it is a team game, and if those players help the side function as a proper team, maybe we can overcome the lack of goals.

Yeah i agree but i deffo think we need goals from somewhere and technical ability. However the second part of this is not a monk fave. Windass i believe will be good but he needs someone to play with who will score goals. Who that is i dont know.

I do worry that lack of quality will do us this season tho all over the park.

Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

Yeah i agree but i deffo think we need goals from somewhere and technical ability. However the second part of this is not a monk fave. Windass i believe will be good but he needs someone to play with who will score goals. Who that is i dont know.

I do worry that lack of quality will do us this season tho all over the park.

I’m hoping we’ll still bring that in. We had a big rebuild to do with the amount of players we let go, and although we’ve done a few shrewd deals, we’ve only brought in one with that extra quality we require, Brown. A couple of front players with that sort of quality would do wonders for the squad. As I said, we’ve done the easy part, now it’s time to bring in that extra quality

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m hoping we’ll still bring that in. We had a big rebuild to do with the amount of players we let go, and although we’ve done a few shrewd deals, we’ve only brought in one with that extra quality we require, Brown. A couple of front players with that sort of quality would do wonders for the squad. As I said, we’ve done the easy part, now it’s time to bring in that extra quality

Spot on that mate. 

On 14/09/2020 at 10:02, Holmowl said:

Bit by bit the squad has taken shape. Good cover and options in most positions.

GK x 2

Right/Central CBs - Iorfa, Lees, Dunkley, Borner, Palmer

Left CB - Borner, JVA, Palmer

RWB - Harris, Kachunga, Palmer, Moses, Reach

LWB - Reach, Penney, Harris

CM - Bannan, Luongo, Brown, Fis, Hunt, Windass, Reach, Joey

STR - Rhodes, Windass, Kachunga

I think one more quality CM to avoid it being weakened by an injury to Brown, Luongo or Bannan, and one more striker, and that’s a really decent squad.

I was thinking in the night (the things that keep me awake) that we dont have another no.10 for if Brown gets injured. Maybe there is someone in the youff ready to step up?

28 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Good job we’ve had quality in most positions this season.

:tango:

Thanks for spoiling my Sunday mate.

I took a look back at my original post and cringe.Wont sleep tonight.

Dawson, Wildsmith, JVA, Kachunga, Fis, Brown, Hunt, Penney....they all worked out well.

Iorfa and Luongo were badly missed.

And I think I can be forgiven for not predicting that our manager would somehow see Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga as better strikers than Rhodes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Good job we’ve had quality in most positions this season.

:tango:

You can look at individual players and think they're decent enough, but when you try to form them into a coherent whole, capable of performing consistently throughout a Championship season, it's just not there.

We haven't recruited to a particular system, style, or approach, and therefore every attempt we make to exploit a strength exposes another of our weaknesses.

For me, the most glaring issue in terms of squad makeup is the lack of a proper centre forward - someone capable of leading the line, holding up the ball, bringing others into play, and notching a few goals.

We saw last year how pivotal Fletcher was to our play, and yet we completely failed to replace him. I suspect Paterson was supposed to fill that role, but he's never looked anything like comfortable when asked to play in that way, and so we've been left trying all sorts of combinations in order to compensate: Windass as a lone striker; Rhodes plus one; Paterson with Windass as a number 10...they've all worked fleetingly, but none are enough to see us through a full season.

And then there's the even bigger issue of mentality, which has absolutely crippled us. None of our experienced pros seem capable of grabbing this team by the scruff of the neck. The likes of Lees, Bannan, Hutchinson, Westwood, Rhodes, Reach, Palmer, and Börner just don't seem to have it in them to inspire those around them and drive them on to better things; which is fine - not everybody has that in their makeup. But surely those in charge of the club were aware of this, and yet they allowed us to go into this season without recruiting any real leaders.

Except Dunkley, perhaps. Who had a broken leg.

🙄

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Dawson, Wildsmith, JVA, Kachunga, Fis, Brown, Hunt, Penney....they all worked out well.

And I think I can be forgiven for not predicting that our manager would somehow see Paterson, Marriott and Kachunga as better strikers than Rhodes.

You looked at it as glass half full rather than glass half empty.

Nothing wrong with having a bit of positivity.

Better to be positive and proved wrong than be a dour negative sort and wallow in being right

• Like 4

The majority of our players are good enough for other championship teams however as a group are mentally weak. Therefore they look ok on paper, but the points deduction has been a noose around their neck all season and has exposed their mental fragilities. If we never had that points deduction we would probably have finished mid table

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

It happens to the best of us mate.

That Cardiff result at the start of the season all gave us a bit of hope.  This thread is proof of that.

I agree that having Luongo, Brown and Iorfa missing for most of the season has caused us all sorts of problems.

Me bumping this thread is just banter/gallows humour.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Holmowl said:

To be fair you do say we need extra midfield cover in case of injury and Luongo did get a long term injury which has been a huge problem for us. You also said we need a striker, which we didn’t get. If Luongo had been fit and we had a good centre forward then this season still wouldn’t have been a raging success but I’d bet we wouldn’t be going down. 

• Like 1