Squad looking better

Guest Kagoshimaowl
15 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Sorry but I fail to see how anyone can say we have good cover and options up front.

Windass is no more a striker than Reach or Harris are.

Kachunga has spent most of the last 3 years either playing wide right, or on a bench.

Our striker department is massively lacking.  If we only sign one more striker this transfer window, we are going to struggle.

I’d also say that CDM, LWB and GK are weak areas that require upgrades.

We’re still at least 5 signings short of having enough to stay up IMO.

Windass looked like a striker to me with that finish on Saturday!

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Still think we lack real quality all over the squad obviously up front, but every department is crying out to be improved. 

That’s the spirit.  Not going to happen though is it,  we need to be realistic and try to form a solid unit that can get results like the pigs and Cardiff have managed with their underrated squads in the past. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Owls-Fan said:

That’s the spirit.  Not going to happen though is it,  we need to be realistic and try to form a solid unit that can get results like the pigs and Cardiff have managed with their underrated squads in the past. 

The odds of that happening are against us.  But I don't doubt the spirit of the squad nor the determination. I would obviously prefer more quality but realistically that is not going to happen.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Sorry but I fail to see how anyone can say we have good cover and options up front.

Kachunga has spent most of the last 3 years either playing wide right, or on a bench.

Our striker department is massively lacking.  If we only sign one more striker this transfer window, we are going to struggle.

We go with what we've got bud at the mo

There wont be any more transfer action

Apart from possibly Zahore

3 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

The odds of that happening are against us.  But I don't doubt the spirit of the squad nor the determination. I would obviously prefer more quality but realistically that is not going to happen.

Yeah unfortunately we will have trouble signing any “highly rated” players. But there’s always teams who are in the promotion race that are made up of bargain buys and a strong team unity. 

I keep thinking back to that pigs side that got promoted and they had no players considered premier league standard at the time.  So I’m not too concerned about our squad right now,  3 more shrewd loans and I think we can look decent 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Bit by bit the squad has taken shape. Good cover and options in most positions.

GK x 2

Right/Central CBs - Iorfa, Lees, Dunkley, Borner, Palmer

Left CB - Borner, JVA, Palmer

RWB - Harris, Kachunga, Palmer, Moses, Reach

LWB - Reach, Penney, Harris

CM - Bannan, Luongo, Brown, Fis, Hunt, Windass, Reach, Joey

STR - Rhodes, Windass, Kachunga

I think one more quality CM to avoid it being weakened by an injury to Brown, Luongo or Bannan, and one more striker, and that’s a really decent squad.

Club might not be that far from what it needs to look like. UTO 

11 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Agree with everything here apart from windass. He is a striker. He’s not a good enough footballer to play anywhere else but his attributes will get us goals. 

15 hours ago, fingyfop said:

He very clearly is, check out the 3 players scoring records for an easy indication.

15 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Windass looked like a striker to me with that finish on Saturday!

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree with everything here apart from windass. He is a striker. He’s not a good enough footballer to play anywhere else but his attributes will get us goals. 

Just looked, Windass has 13 goals from his last 64 Championship games.

Good signing for many reasons IMO.  But not a prolific scorer of goals.

I cannot get my head around any fan thinking our options up front are going to be enough over the course of a 46 game season.

15 hours ago, apswfcowl said:

CDM? When did this become a thing?

Welcome to 1998.

15 hours ago, apswfcowl said:

Be interesting to read the exact same thread with same first post after we have lost a game!

Yep a win over an average Cardiff side has got everyone giddy.  Perspective required.

11 hours ago, brando said:

We go with what we've got bud at the mo

There wont be any more transfer action

Apart from possibly Zahore

Zahore would be a welcome signing, as long as we don't overpay on wages or transfer fee.

But if that's the sum of our transfer activity, then we are down IMO.

• Like 1

The squad still lacks that bit of extra quality, especially in front areas. We’ve made a few solid signings, but only Brown really meets that criteria. The signings we’ve made, was the easy part, but now we need a couple more who will make a real difference

4 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

I cannot get my head around any fan thinking our options up front are going to be enough over the course of a 46 game season.

Welcome to 1998.

Yep a win over an average Cardiff side has got everyone giddy.  Perspective required.

Zahore would be a welcome signing, as long as we don't overpay on wages or transfer fee.

I didn't say the option were enough, everyone knows we still need to sign a striker

Just that Windass can play as a genuine striker (he can also play the Izzy Brown role), his goals in his loan period and goal and assist on Saturday showed that, it's nothing like throwing Harris and Reach upfront, who are useless there.

I think he might even be at his best upfront, the goal on Saturday was a proper Strikers goal, good finish

Looking at the squad as it stands, the stand out department is that midfield three. Of course we could upgrade any position, but that trio will be one of the best in the division Back up wise, midfield is also our strongest area of the U23s, so if they continue to improve, we should be OK 

In defence there are a lot of options, if no obvious permutations. Iorfa is the stand out player here, but of the other centre backs, Lees, Borner and Dunkley, have all previously been steady in this division. Perhaps Van Aken is the unknown quantity, but by all accounts he was decent in Holland, so I wouldn’t say central defence would be an issue for us. Full back/wing back, again plenty of options, but this is where things aren’t quite as straightforward. Palmer, Odubajo, Harris, Urhoghide, Penney and Reach, all have question marks against them for one position, or the other. Successfully converting any four of them will be key, but it’s definitely an area where we could upgrade. 
Up front is the area where we lack numbers, and real quality. Windass and Kachunga could prove to be steady signings, and Rhodes might even get his fair share of goals, but they are well short of what is needed to form a successful Championship attack. This is where we have to spend the money. 
I’ve not mentioned the keepers, as I’m still unsure. We could have two very good home grown keepers for years to come, but there are still enough errors to not make that a certainty. Monk wants to go with them, and that makes sense, as both have a chance of becoming really good goalkeepers

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Welcome to 1998.

Totally agree with your striker assessment were well short of quality and goals. Think in Rhodes we all know what we have, capable of the goals by getting on the end of stuff but hasnt produced for years, also offers nothing else. Kachunga will work hard but dont see goals in him.

Windass however is a weird one. I didnt rate him when we got him and didnt even think he was a striker. And as you have pointed out his record isnt good. BUT.....

He is by no means a good footballer in the league of strikers we have had recently in Wickham Forestieri Joao Hooper Fletcher etc but he has decent attributes as in size strength stature and pace, and looks like he knows where the net is and can finish. His biggest assest is work rate he doesnt seem to give defenders a second. In our current set up i can see him scoring goals, reminds me a bit of when we put Warhurst up front. I know there leagues apart but he had pace and he tried so hard and shot at every opportunity.  

Zahore is a weird one, he looks to have the attributes we need but he again doesnt score the goals we need. If were talking about paying him or West Brom decent money id prefer it spent on someone who will get us goals.