The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Apologies, team singular, obviously.

They were too far behind Liverpool last season, albeit Liverpool were outstanding.

They have been functional rather than impressive for much of this season (the 6 or so games played).

Strange start to this season has seen big teams across all leagues drop points and some get off to slow starts in the Champions League. 

I'd hardly call City's start latter-stage Wengeresque considering they are without a recognised striker.  

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Strange start to this season has seen big teams across all leagues drop points and some get off to slow starts in the Champions League. 

I'd hardly call City's start latter-stage Wengeresque considering they are without a recognised striker.  

You will think I am harsh but a team with their resources shouldn’t suffer so terribly with the loss of Aguero. Jesus has not developed as hoped so they should have better cover.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

You will think I am harsh but a team with their resources shouldn’t suffer so terribly with the loss of Aguero. Jesus has not developed as hoped so they should have better cover.

100%. Their depth feels arrogant. Watching Ferran Torres fanny around up top has been very frustrating to see. Very poor squad management not to have more depth. 

This is the thing with City, he has so much money to spend and they clearly needed a striker with Ageuro aging and Jesus probably not being quite that level and injury issues but he didn't get one. Just like he didn't get the centre half last season which cost them. Same mistake 2 years in a row for me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

To be fair I agree with that, still doesn't mean they have turned into latter stages Arsenal under Wenger. 

Imagine hearing in 2011 that in 2020 Sheffield United will be taking on Man City in the PL with Guardiola in charge of one of the most expensively assembled squads of all time and only losing 1-0 they decide to bring on David Mcgoldrick and Billy Sharp and that there was a good chance they could actually get back into the game

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To be fair I agree with that, still doesn't mean they have turned into latter stages Arsenal under Wenger. 

It's not so much latter stages, more that between phase. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

To clarify the Wenger comparison, it’s basically two-fold: teams trying to walk the ball in, and a kind of arrogance that prevents them doing to obvious repairs to the team. It seems like ‘we are better footballers than you, so why should we lower ourselves to signing a no nonsense defender, or a back up goal poacher?’

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ever the pessimist said:

To clarify the Wenger comparison, it’s basically two-fold: teams trying to walk the ball in, and a kind of arrogance that prevents them doing to obvious repairs to the team. It seems like ‘we are better footballers than you, so why should we lower ourselves to signing a no nonsense defender, or a back up goal poacher?’

This. 

Still a very capable side (one that could win the title), but something is missing. 

An obsession with trying to score the perfect goal, a nonchalance in the approach and one that means they are always susceptible to giving away a stupid goal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

This. 

Still a very capable side (one that could win the title), but something is missing. 

An obsession with trying to score the perfect goal, a nonchalance in the approach and one that means they are always susceptible to giving away a stupid goal. 

Late Wenger Arsenal sides were nowhere near winning the title and rolled over in away games. They weren't susceptible to giving away daft goals, they did so on a regular basis and couldn't buy a win away from the Emirates. 

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Imagine hearing in 2011 that in 2020 Sheffield United will be taking on Man City in the PL with Guardiola in charge of one of the most expensively assembled squads of all time and only losing 1-0 they decide to bring on David Mcgoldrick and Billy Sharp and that there was a good chance they could actually get back into the game

Imagine world champions Liverpool conceding 7 goals against Aston Villa under Klopp.....

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Late Wenger Arsenal sides were nowhere near winning the title and rolled over in away games. They weren't susceptible to giving away daft goals, they did so on a regular basis and couldn't buy a win away from the Emirates. 

Yeah, maybe ‘latter’ stages Wenger is a few years too late. But the ‘declining Wenger’ of the late noighties perhaps