The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Taking the blue and white specs off for a minute, he’s chosen the right club too 

Careful now, there's a few on here who will take great exception to that kind of talk.

3 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Big job to turn that squad around and get early success.... massive summer transfer window for them

You'd think so.

I'd think he'd want to oversee a bit of an overhaul of the playing staff.

If the Prince is going to allow him to spend the funds then I can see them doing pretty well.  They are going to need out and out wingers though because if I remember correctly, he persisted with using the 4-3-3 system at Fulham. They don't really have many wingers on the books, it's been the full backs being used in wing back positions.

15 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Good appointment and a man I wish we got 4 - 5 years ago.

However, as has been suggested his Fulham and Watford sides were very different to what he'll be getting at United. It might take him a year or two to get them to become real challengers, but eventually he will. 

I don't think fans will be wanting to wait more than a year, especially those that jumped on bandwagon when they got to Premier League, if they don't get off to a good start they'll be asking questions. 

Is Jakanovic one of those managers like Mourinho maybe Nuno who go from job to job earning big bucks getting big pay offs knowing that when they get sacked they won't be out of a job for long? Other than a big pay day can't see why he'd go there, not sure he'll be welcomed with open arms and like I say he'll be quids in no matter what happens.

Edited by darra

FFS, take the blue tinted glasses off, this is a good appointment for them and changes the dynamic and is a statement of intent. I have no time for them but they really are in a different universe to us and may well be for many years to come.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Time will tell but from what I've been reading his style of football is the polar opposite of Wilders it's whether the fans take to it. As already said as with Moore they'll have to hit the ground running.

14 hours ago, eightbelow said:

FFS, take the blue tinted glasses off, this is a good appointment for them and changes the dynamic and is a statement of intent. I have no time for them but they really are in a different universe to us and may well be for many years to come.

Remember reading the same in 2007 when they appointed Robson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Remember reading the same in 2007 when they appointed Robson.

I don't recall anything of the sort myself. In fact i remember a lot of people ripping the p i s s out of them if anything. Robson had done nothing as a manager, and was already starting to resemble someone who was more interested in the local boozer, than managing a football team.

Like it or not, Jokanovic has a fantastic record at that level. It's pretty much universally acknowledged, even by most on here.  Whether or not he can turn them around remains to be seen, but I can't think of a better appointment that they could have made, other than someone like Cooper or Franks (depending on which one loses out today).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

I don't recall anything of the sort myself. In fact i remember a lot of people ripping the p i s s out of them if anything. Robson had done nothing as a manager, and was already starting to resemble someone who was more interested in the local boozer, than managing a football team.

Like it or not, Jokanovic has a fantastic record at that level. It's pretty much universally acknowledged, even by most on here.  Whether or not he can turn them around remains to be seen, but I can't think of a better appointment that they could have made, other than someone like Cooper or Franks (depending on which one loses out today).

Not sure about that. Was successful with Middlesbrough getting them to the premier and a few cup finals too. Didn't he also keep WBA up when they were bottom at Christmas? First team to achieve that in the PL era and not sure if its been achieved since though.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

As a manager Robson had 2 previous promotions to the PL.  Exactly the same record as the new fella.

18 hours ago, eightbelow said:

"Different universe" lol

They've spent 6 of the last 10 years in League One, and would be in the same division as us next season if our owner wasn't a moron and got us a points deduction. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Not sure about that. Was successful with Middlesbrough getting them to the premier and a few cup finals too. Didn't he also keep WBA up when they were bottom at Christmas? First team to achieve that in the PL era and not sure if its been achieved since though.

Fair enough,  I forgot that he was player/manager when Boro went up. He did keep West Brom up, just, but I am pretty sure he took them down the next season and the few Baggies I know could never stand him.

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

As a manager Robson had 2 previous promotions to the PL.  Exactly the same record as the new fella.

Think it was 1 with Boro as player manager, which as just posted, I had forgotten about. Where was the other one?