The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I saw Chilwell a few times for the U21's and he stood out as being destined to play at full international level. Alonso has been really good for Chelsea but has made some very sloppy mistakes in the past few months. 

For me i'd liken it topically to Van Aken

Awesome at delivering the ball on a sixpence - so it looks eye-catching and people fall for it

Similarly John Stones

Unfortunately Chilwell is not a good defender - and that is his job first and foremost

Chilwell can look so good in some aspects of the game - i just don't think he's a top defender

Which for £50m he should be

Just now, scram said:

Awesome at delivering the ball on a sixpence - so it looks eye-catching and people fall for it

Similarly John Stones

Unfortunately Chilwell is not a good defender - and that is his job first and foremost

Chilwell can look so good in some aspects of the game - i just don't think he's a top defender

Tbf, isn't this an issue with a lot of modern fullbacks?

Trent gets lauded for his attacking prowess, but the kid is awful defensively. 

The only one I can think of (out of the current crop) who seems to really enjoy defending is Wan Bisakka at Man U, but then he's pretty hopeless going forward. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Alonso has hardly player for a whole year. 

In a back four Chilwell is the better defender. But in this wing back system Tuchel is playing, Alonso starts everyday of the week. He’s a fantastic attacking wing back. 

Alonso has played 20 times in the past year, including a few as a wing back and had been way below his previous standards which is why he got dropped. The abuse he was getting from Chelsea fans way before lock down made Pelupessy look like he is revered by our fans.

Tuchel has seemingly given him a clean slate which is understandable but I wouldn't guarantee him getting back to his form of old on the back of a couple of games. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

The only one I can think of (out of the current crop) who seems to really enjoy defending is Wan Bisakka at Man U, but then he's pretty hopeless going forward. 

Even wan Bisakka is prone to more errors than traditional full-back use to be but gets away with it a lot with his recovery pace. 

5 minutes ago, scram said:

Similarly John Stones

Although John Stones looks absolutely fantastic this season. Been solid as a rock for City.

5 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Be in soon for his 5 touches

Here he comes.

One day his half a dozen touches will be enough to get him a goal and we will never hear the end of it, as though it justifies paying £23M.

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

It's an issue with defenders who come through the academy system in this country

"pick a pass" - i've heard it a thousand times

Young defenders daren't do something so radical as like, clear the ball when it's a threat - because they get told to "pick a pass"

So whilst they may look way more comfortable in possession and they can usually "pick a pass"  - they have lost the true art of defending

• Like 2

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Even wan Bisakka is prone to more errors than traditional full-back use to be but gets away with it a lot with his recovery pace. 

Yeah, he's a bit like Kyle Walker in that respect, who often relies on his pace to get him out of sticky situations. 

Funnily enough, the one fullback in really good form at the moment is Luke Shaw. 

The two Liverpool one's have gone completely off the boil. 

A few of my mates really rate Justin at Leicester. I was a fan of Ricardo before he got that bad injury. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Although John Stones looks absolutely fantastic this season. Been solid as a rock for City.

"This season" is a bit strong

Last few weeks maybe

And in a turgid season for opposition

Wait until the euros

he'll get found out 

Unless Pep has actually drilled it into him that its not a crime to defend when it is necessary

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yeah, he's a bit like Kyle Walker in that respect, who often relies on his pace to get him out of sticky situations. 

Funnily enough, the one fullback in really good form at the moment is Luke Shaw. 

The two Liverpool one's have gone completely off the boil. 

A few of my mates really rate Justin at Leicester. I was a fan of Ricardo before he got that bad injury. 

Watched so much Premier League football during the pandemic. 

I really like Reece James at Chelsea, until he got injured. Only just got back in the side now. He was playing really well both defensively and going forward. Great engine on him.