The Humble Club - Abhorrence Of Arabia

Big Malc

1 hour ago, HighworthOwl said:

He feeds off the plucky underdog tag but next season they would start as one of the favourites with a dressing room full of over priced players wanting out.  

Absolutely this. 

Not saying Wilder wouldn’t be able to do it, but it’s interesting stuff that only 2 teams in the last decade have been automatically promoted in their first season down in the Championship. Another 5 have then got straight back up but via the Play Offs. 7/30 is only just over 20%, so history proves that it’s a serious challenge to get any team straight back up again. 

Then you throw in that Wilder has never encountered a similar scenario (which would basically be the opposite of how he likes to work- insert plucky humble underdog references) and he might be trying to take the challenge on after a devastatingly poor season which will have killed off the confidence of the entire squad. 

You can see why they have been sticking with him, on the basis of his achievements over the past 3-4 years. But it’s fantasy to suggest Wilder’s CV sets him up to take a squad of expensive players that they will struggle to offload (many of whom won’t want to be there) and who have just been pummelled every week for a whole season, and then walk the league with them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the third man said:

If they keep him after they get relegated he is in an entirely different situation to what he was when he got promoted to the championship

he will have a team of losers, not winners, some of the squad won't want to be there, the only way they will get of most of their big earners might be to take a big loss on them, the players they will retain won't have the same work ethic as the ones they used to have, and the ones who were with them in the championship before have tasted the big time and maybe might not relish a season in the championship in the same way they did before.

if they do keep him, next season will see how good a manager he is

Some of players are coming towards end of there careers and will need off loading and then there's the better players who might want away. 

When I've watched them this season Egan as been there best player in majority of games, I think they could get interest from teams in lower half of Prem during summer.

2 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

If he stays he will be under massive pressure to get points early or he will be down the road.

Plus if he takes them down and makes a slow start then his reputation is massively tarnished. 

He and them have an awful lot to lose.

He feeds off the plucky underdog tag but next season they would start as one of the favourites with a dressing room full of over priced players wanting out.  

Yes, this business about walking to work barefoot in rags and breakfasting on a bowl of cold gruel wouldn't wash in this league.

They'd be amongst the favourites.

And as everybody's second team the media attention would be suffocating.

Everybody pray for Bristol Rovers, they could find themselves in the most embarrassing position possible:

Being the first (possibly only) club to lose to Dem Blavges this season!

Guest Bulgaria

Egan, Stevens, Baldock, Berge and possibly Lundstrum will get offers from premiership teams when they go down. There's is at least 30 million right there if they wanted to cash in.  I can see Egan going to Everton or someone of that ilk. 

I can see Rochdale coming in for Ramsdale and Billy.

4 hours ago, the third man said:

If they keep him after they get relegated he is in an entirely different situation to what he was when he got promoted to the championship

he will have a team of losers, not winners, some of the squad won't want to be there, the only way they will get of most of their big earners might be to take a big loss on them, the players they will retain won't have the same work ethic as the ones they used to have, and the ones who were with them in the championship before have tasted the big time and maybe might not relish a season in the championship in the same way they did before.

if they do keep him, next season will see how good a manager he is

With a formation and system that's been worked out, and no apparent idea how to change it. 

And an absolute fortune spent with none of them he's picked up working. The last two he's splooged on being a striker who can't score and a keeper who can't save. To the tune of around £50m I think. 

When Adkins got Southampton promoted twice in quick succession to the Prem, their board quickly got rid of him for Pochetino when it started going boobies up. Massive backlash from the fans and media, kept them up, not been down since. 

So, can't adapt, can't spend money, throws players under the bus constantly, and has overseen the worst ever start to a Prem season, without a win and we're into January. 

I really, really hope they keep backing him and give him another new contract. 

lol

• Like 2
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

With a formation and system that's been worked out, and no apparent idea how to change it. 

And an absolute fortune spent with none of them he's picked up working. The last two he's splooged on being a striker who can't score and a keeper who can't save. To the tune of around £50m I think. 

When Adkins got Southampton promoted twice in quick succession to the Prem, their board quickly got rid of him for Pochetino when it started going boobies up. Massive backlash from the fans and media, kept them up, not been down since. 

So, can't adapt, can't spend money, throws players under the bus constantly, and has overseen the worst ever start to a Prem season, without a win and we're into January. 

I really, really hope they keep backing him and give him another new contract. 

lol

I’ve not got to that bit yet......

B18A673C-EBF9-4A8C-AB68-1B1E7E7005BE.jpeg.096332609762686c0d193172d95bc738.jpeg

:duntmatter:

• Haha 6

They really hate the "worst team ever" tag, its properly getting to them.

Look at this scenario:

They drop into the EFL (nailed on) they've used their Prem money to pay off McCabe (and buy garbage) they get parachute payments but that's eaten up by their wage bill, they can't offload any of their expensive flops, Wilder leaves and the players he's been getting the most out of revert back to their L1 form - simply, simply loveleh.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Django said:

So how many points we reckon they’re getting?

Im going for a slight upturn in fortunes and say they’ll finish on 24 points 

I'm going to stick my neck out (as much in hope as anything else) and say they won't make double figures.

• Like 3

Yep that’s his car reg, see him quite often driving on Ecclesall Rd.

How many orange Lamborghinis are there in Sheffield? So why do a runner unless you’re trying to pass it off as nicked?

Which it could have been I suppose. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Yep that’s his car reg, see him quite often driving on Ecclesall Rd.

How many orange Lamborghinis are there in Sheffield? So why do a runner unless you’re trying to pass it off as nicked?

Which it could have been I suppose. 

Not nicked. He’s come back now, with his mate. Tenner says he’s “not the driver”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1