Legendary Legend Looking Lean

13 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Consider myself lucky enough (and old enough)to have seen two of the best defenders we've ever had in Don Megson and Roland Nilsson. Both were miles(country ones at that) better than probably the worst defender we've ever signed being Mr Blondeau.

Don't forget that Megson was left back, the right back was Wilf Smith who was capped for England. He was driven out of Hillsborough by that joke of a manager Danny Williams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickjj said:

Don't forget that Megson was left back, the right back was Wilf Smith who was capped for England. He was driven out of Hillsborough by that joke of a manager Danny Williams. 

Hello mate. Just finished the Don Megson a book "A Life In Football"and it's a very good read and I agree with you about Danny Williams who was poor. We can't forget Mel Sterland either who was a good  Wednesday defender before Roland Nilsson.

3 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Hello mate. Just finished the Don Megson a book "A Life In Football"and it's a very good read and I agree with you about Danny Williams who was poor. We can't forget Mel Sterland either who was a good  Wednesday defender before Roland Nilsson.

I was gutted when we let zico go. 

Fantastic rampaging attacking right back was sterland. 

Though got to say big Ron pulled a blinder and Roland was a far better all round fullback, especially defencivly and his reading of the game he made defending look effortless at times. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I was gutted when we let zico go. 

Fantastic rampaging attacking right back was sterland. 

Though got to say big Ron pulled a blinder and Roland was a far better all round fullback, especially defencivly and his reading of the game he made defending look effortless at times. 

Sterland was a firm fans favourite who we can say was " one of us". For me Roland Nillson was a class act and a player ,as you say,who made the game appear effortless. There have been a few over the years that fall into that category,one of them being Peter Eustace. Oddly I seem to recall it was when Eustace was manager for that disastrous period he fell out with Mel Sterland over the captaincy and he eventually headed for Rangers. Both of them, Sterland and Nilsson,will always be remembered positively by us at Hillsborough and deservedly so.

• Love 1