Gareth Bale trademarks his own name (yes REALLY)

@owlstalk

Anyone looking to get ahead of themselves this transfer window and get 'Bale 11' emblazoned on the back of their new Tottenham shirt, or any Spurs shirt for that matter, is out of luck.

That's because former Spurs winger Gareth Bale has, apparently, trademarked his own name, preventing anyone from using it...even at the park for a kickabout.

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Anyone looking to get ahead of themselves this transfer window and get 'Bale 11' emblazoned on the back of their new Tottenham shirt, or any Spurs shirt for that matter, is out of luck.

That's because former Spurs winger Gareth Bale has, apparently, trademarked his own name, preventing anyone from using it...even at the park for a kickabout.

What a twaat. I remember beckams wife trying to walk all over Peterborough’s fans trying to trademark the word Posh. Who do these people think they are?  

3 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

As bad as Liverpool trying (and I think Southampton managing) to trademark the names of their respective cities.

Steady on! Sheffield is the only city in the UK to have actually protected its name, and I think one of only 2 or 3 cities in the world to have been able to do so.

You need to get special permission if you want to use the name of our city in your business, in at attempt to protect it as a sign of quality craftsmanship.

18 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

Steady on! Sheffield is the only city in the UK to have actually protected its name, and I think one of only 2 or 3 cities in the world to have been able to do so.

You need to get special permission if you want to use the name of our city in your business, in at attempt to protect it as a sign of quality craftsmanship.

Sorry, I meant the football clubs of Southampton and Liverpool have tried to copywrite the names of the cities that they represent.

Guest Bulgaria
5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Didn't he try and trademark that 'heart-shaped' celebration he does with his hands at one point as well?

It wouldn't surprise me.

I mean, doesn't he have any mates that can just say to him " gareth, don't be a nobhead?"

18 hours ago, ANDY said:

this is why football is well and truly fùćkęd

Problem is, everyone was already saying that well before the first few players were even being given more than 100k a week.

There has to be a ceiling at some point, but I'd rather the authorities step in to start managing spending limits rather than waiting for us to hit the ceiling and risk everything collapsing when we do.

On 18/09/2020 at 18:47, ANDY said:

Bale will be pulling in 600k per week 

Macclesfield have folded with debts of 500k 

this is why football is well and truly fùćkęd

While i'm not saying its right it has to be acknowledged that Macc have gone out of business the same way most businesses collapse - paying way beyond their means

It is the eternal problem in football and unless/until clubs start addressing it this will continue to happen

Just because the richest club in the world can pay x amount doesn't mean that clubs operating on a shoestring can over reach to the point they get wound up

There needs to be root and branch change - and whether that is less pro clubs, more regional leagues or a hybrid model of clubs who operate in the Fl but don't hold players on full time contracts (for eg) i don't know

But it's not up to the PL clubs to bail out FL clubs who cannot manage their finances - any more than Tesco bail out the corner shop who has suffered due to the new superstore opening on their doorstep

Because Bale gets £600k pw doesn't mean that a Stevenage player should be on anything more than they can afford to pay whilst balancing their books

• Like 1

On 12/09/2020 at 22:46, @owlstalk said:

Gareth Bale has trademarked (in 2013) the "11 of Hearts" celebration, where he forms his two hands in to a heart shape. However, at present, the only "Bale" appearing on the Trademark Register, is a luggage company.

It's only an allegation at this point that he has trademarked his own name.

On 12/09/2020 at 22:46, @owlstalk said:

What?...so are you saying the Spurs shop wont be selling shirts with Bale on the back? (and isnt he number 9?)...cant see that being the case

Sounds like a bog standard image rights deal to me that loads of sportsmen and women have