Will the points deduction have a positive influence on our performances?

poite

Great result today. Couldn't have asked for more than that could we. 

I was thinking though. Could the points deduction benefit our performances? 

Over the past 5 years since DC bought the club the players have had a weight of expectation on them to be challenging for promotion even when they clearly weren't up to that level. A lot of this is due to past comments from the owner stating things like 'if we don't go up we're in trouble' and charging the ridiculous ticket prices which were in some way supposed to be a reflection of the investment in the team and you'd therefore assume quality and higher league positions.

But this season, the only realistic goal is to stay in the division. Whilst it's not going to be an easy task, I do wonder if that feels less pressure than trying to compete at the top? Could having the weight of promotion expectation help the players with confidence?

Obviously there's counter arguments to all this but that's kind of the point of raising the question. Thoughts?

• Like 3

It’s all about how soon we can claw back the 12 points and that should be the motivation right now in any team talks. With 2-3 more additions and season that’s not injury ravaged we could well surprise a few. As it’s been said though we are only 1 league game in but it’s a steady start and definitely something to build on.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, poite said:

Over the past 5 years since DC bought the club the players have had a weight of expectation on them to be challenging for promotion even when they clearly weren't up to that level. A lot of this is due to past comments from the owner stating things like 'if we don't go up we're in trouble' and charging the ridiculous ticket prices which were in some way supposed to be a reflection of the investment in the team and you'd therefore assume quality and higher league positions.

But this season, the only realistic goal is to stay in the division. Whilst it's not going to be an easy task, I do wonder if that feels less pressure than trying to compete at the top? Could having the weight of promotion expectation help the players with confidence?

Obviously there's counter arguments to all this but that's kind of the point of raising the question. Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Thinking about this prior to the match. Maybe, and this is a maybe, the adversity has binded the squad with a f-it, nothing to loose, no pressure mentality. Like the mind games Wilder used to get his L1 cloggers into the PL. 

I was thinking the same things once I heard about the deduction. Can it, will it? I know we have only played one game, but there seemed to be a togetherness that I've not seen with a Wednesday team since the first season Carlos was here. Wholly different circumstances to that season of course, but will this/has this galvanised the entire squad, coaches and management? There seems to be an underlying mental attitude to the team.

One game a season doesn't make, but I hope I am right. I've seen and played enough football to know it's not that straight forward, but if the heads are in the game, the bodies will follow.

Edited by ChapSmurf
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

It’s all about how soon we can claw back the 12 points and that should be the motivation right now in any team talks. With 2-3 more additions and season that’s not injury ravaged we could well surprise a few. As it’s been said though we are only 1 league game in but it’s a steady start and definitely something to build on.

And once clawed back, about keeping the same attitude and keeping the momentum.

• Like 1

With the right mentality in the players and used correctly by the management it could be used to motivate the team. People talk about having a siege mentality and if that 'us against the world' attitude can be harnessed it can be very powerful. A bit of momentum, starting with today's result, which comes on the back of progress in the cup and tow clean sheets, can also lead to more success.

As has already been said, starting 12 points behind everyone else also takes the pressure off as far as expectation, which can help players play with a bit more freedom.

Add to the above the effect of a new young, ambitious squad (including our homegrown prospects) being coached by a team with some new ideas, and playing without the frustrations of a home crowd when mistakes are made, we could well surprise a lot of people this season.

Ok, I'm still drinking, but I seem to be talking myself into putting a few quid on us for promotion... We could still have the 12-point deduction overturned too!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pressman 1 said:

Yes I think so, today proved it how many of us actually thought we'd win we've signed players who knew what there in for and others who have a point to prove am confident we will stay up 

It's given them all added motivation and seems to have improved team spirit as it's them against the rest now. They know we all have to stick together to get out of this mess, and we seem to have signed players up for the challenge so far.

I feel there’s a strong possibility of other clubs receiving points deductions this season. Really uncertain times and with no supporters for the foreseeable future will only increase clubs operating losses. 

A good start to the season, 2 games and no goals conceded, hopefully a couple more additions, an appeal in motion and dare I say it a little more unity within the team and amongst the fan base. 
Small but encouraging steps. HMS ******** the league is about to set sail, stay positive WAWAW

Guest Therealrealist
6 hours ago, poite said:

Yeah..lets hope we lose our appeal and get deducted a few more..🙄😟

Think it was just too much for one man to come in with no staff (respect to LB and NW but never good enough for this level imo not enough exp)..feels like we actually have a new manager now..makes it all the more strange we would go with GM knowing his staff would be hard to get in asap, pleased with this set up tho

Edited by keepitsteel89

Easy to say after a positive result; solid performance, ruthless display and a clean sheet but to me we looked the most solid, hardworking and effective I have seen us under Monk and for some time. If we can keep up that energy; work rate, solidity and creativity, we could surprise the League this season. Key for me is solidity, if we can keep that up and allow are creative players to express themselves further up the pitch, more goals and consistency may follow.