Intensity

After 20 minutes of Huddersfield commentary, my iFollow turned into just pitch-side noise with no commentary. Could hear the bench very clearly. They never shut up. What was clear was the intensity and tempo they want the team to play. Driving on Rhodes and Windass to close down at all times. Cajoling the three midfielders to shuttle across and rapturous cheers every time Lees or Van Aken won a header or a tackle.

It was clear there was more pace and power in the team than last season and if this continues I can imagine it will make us horrible to play against. Might be harder when we play against teams that want to sit back and give us the ball, but if we can settle into this counter-attacking pattern and play with this discipline then I could see us causing some damage this season. Bit before my time, but kind of how I think the Wilkinson era team used to play - lots of determined, hard-running players. I would of course prefer a team in the more champagne style of Vic Buckingham or Ron Atkinson, but if we can play these Sgt Wilko tactics with the conviction and effort shown here, then think we can all get behind this group.

The other two constant shouts from the bench were "Body shape!" every time we were defending. And there was a bloke (I think from the Cardiff bench) who kept shouting "Free Kick!" two seconds before a free kick was about to be taken. As if he was some sort of special service requested for the blind. While Harris just looked depressed for most of the match.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

After 20 minutes of Huddersfield commentary, my iFollow turned into just pitch-side noise with no commentary. Could hear the bench very clearly. They never shut up. What was clear was the intensity and tempo they want the team to play. Driving on Rhodes and Windass to close down at all times. Cajoling the three midfielders to shuttle across and rapturous cheers every time Lees or Van Aken won a header or a tackle.

It was clear there was more pace and power in the team than last season and if this continues I can imagine it will make us horrible to play against. Might be harder when we play against teams that want to sit back and give us the ball, but if we can settle into this counter-attacking pattern and play with this discipline then I could see us causing some damage this season. Bit before my time, but kind of how I think the Wilkinson era team used to play - lots of determined, hard-running players. I would of course prefer a team in the more champagne style of Vic Buckingham or Ron Atkinson, but if we can play these Sgt Wilko tactics with the conviction and effort shown here, then think we can all get behind this group.

The other two constant shouts from the bench were "Body shape!" every time we were defending. And there was a bloke (I think from the Cardiff bench) who kept shouting "Free Kick!" two seconds before a free kick was about to be taken. As if he was some sort of special service requested for the blind. While Harris just looked depressed for most of the match.

usual stuff from the bench, basics but players need encouragement.