Team vs Rochdale

1 hour ago, cowl said:

But this thread is about who to pick for the Rochdale game.

You said there are no midweek games for the next 5 weeks, there are if we win! So unless you’re picking a team to lose, we have 5 games in 15 days starting yesterday. 

So, I would pick a team that considered that. This season is shorter than normal, with less of a preseason to build up. So I’d manage players even more than normal or expect a full treatment room. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know how many Hagan scored for the U-18s/U-23s last term and how many games played? I was trying to compare stats with the new fella from Everton who's ratio at these lower levels is 1 in 2 games. Got some good control too has the new chap. Don't know why stats can't be put on the official site. Other sites just have Hagan's limited first team stats. I'd not make too many changes but maybe give game time to one of the two. Keep continuity without making too many changes that would go to weaken us too much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

You said there are no midweek games for the next 5 weeks, there are if we win! So unless you’re picking a team to lose, we have 5 games in 15 days starting yesterday. 

So, I would pick a team that considered that. This season is shorter than normal, with less of a preseason to build up. So I’d manage players even more than normal or expect a full treatment room. 

I never said that at all; I said there are no midweek league games for the next 5 weeks.

We have 5 games in 15 days should we win on Tuesday, with a weeks' rest before and after followed by a further two weeks rest after that.

Should we go through to the next round after Tuesday, the management will no doubt make a decision on what kind of side to put out for what will be a lengthy midweek trip to either Ipswich or Fulham.

For now though it's more important the players get up-to optimal match-sharpness as quickly as possible. They need the minutes in their legs still.

1 minute ago, cowl said:

I never said that at all; I said there are no midweek league games for the next 5 weeks.

We have 5 games in 15 days should we win on Tuesday, with a weeks' rest before and after followed by a further two weeks rest after that.

Should we go through to the next round after Tuesday, the management will no doubt make a decision on what kind of side to put out for what will be a lengthy midweek trip to either Ipswich or Fulham.

For now though it's more important the players get up-to optimal match-sharpness as quickly as possible. They need the minutes in their legs still.

Indeed you did! Apologies for misunderstanding. I still think we need to rotate these cup games though. 

I agree players still need minutes but there are enough fringe players who need them more and enough games to consider it conjugated be they league or cup. 

The last thing I want is an injury to any of the midfield three, any of our three. Nor do I want to burn out Harris or Penney. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Indeed you did! Apologies for misunderstanding. I still think we need to rotate these cup games though. 

I agree players still need minutes but there are enough fringe players who need them more and enough games to consider it conjugated be they league or cup. 

The last thing I want is an injury to any of the midfield three, any of our three. Nor do I want to burn out Harris or Penney. 

Play best team,every game.

A few need fitness upping

Win every game

Aka Shankley 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brando said:

Play best team,every game.

A few need fitness upping

Win every game

Aka Carlos

Fixed it for you! I think some of our players need managing with more sophistication than play them every game. 

But it’s a game of opinions I guess. 

• Like 1

Wildsmith

Shaw Lees,   Borner

Moses                                               Palmer

Hunt,  Joey, Dele

Kachunga, Reach

• Like 1

Dawson 

Iorfa       Lees     Van Aken 

Odubajo      Luongo          Bannan           Penney

Brown 

Kachunga     Rhodes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shetland Owl said:

Wildsmith

Shaw Lees,   Borner

Moses                                               Palmer

Hunt,  Joey, Dele

Kachunga, Reach

This ^ I’d be giving the Cardiff side time to recover and also give the others a chance to impress.

Our aim this season is to stay up, simple as that.  The aim is not to push the players to hard just to lose at Fulham in the next round. 

• Like 1

We need to rest few players, although it is early in the season, but we Still want to keep feel good moment at the club, and don't want to lose against lower league opposition. 

Again, would like to test Conor Grant to see if he can be trusted against league opposition. 

• Like 1

Expect a few changes, but not wholesale change. Right now, it's important to win games to build confidence and positive momentum. 

That said, the scheduling of these games so early in a season with a shortened pre season and already truncated league schedule is stupid. 

Most, if not all, EFL clubs don't have enough international players to warrant postponing games, so what's wrong with playing early season cup fixtures during the international break?  

Edited by striker

Kachunga    
                   Reach 

Hunt   Pelupessy  Dele-B   
Palmer                                          Odubajo 

Borner   Dunkley  Iorfa 

Wildsmith 

• Like 2