Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

1 hour ago, mildatheart67 said:

Palace v Fulham is edge of seat stuff.

First half , 1 corner

No shots on target.

Did it get any better?

Spurs have turned up first half today, Burnley haven't. 

1 hour ago, Fairy Tail Owl said:

No way Leicester make top 4 this season.

Harsh to judge them in that respect on today, nobody around them has shown any more consistent form than them other than the top 2. Wouldn't be a great surprise to see them miss out like last season though having spent a lot of the run in inside the top 4. 

So...I think there were four games on today...and I barely watched any of them, instead having them on in the background. 

Watched Dem Blades match as I like a bit of comedy in the evening, but there is just so much live football. 

Better than having none on at all, but anyone else getting a bit of football fatigue? 

• Like 1

Allardyce finally getting a tune out of our lot- it’s taken him his four January signings to get us there. Just shows how poo our recruitment was in the summer.

if we had Yokuslu, AMN, Diagne and Allardyce from the summer then I think we’d be okay to be honest. The push has come far too late.

should have beat United, I’m at a loss as to how we never won at Burnley and beat Brighton Saturday. 5 points but I’m gutted it’s not 9.

Everton, Newcastle and Palace to come.

I think we’re stuffed but at least there’s finally some pride to our performances.

58 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

Allardyce finally getting a tune out of our lot- it’s taken him his four January signings to get us there. Just shows how poo our recruitment was in the summer.

if we had Yokuslu, AMN, Diagne and Allardyce from the summer then I think we’d be okay to be honest. The push has come far too late.

should have beat United, I’m at a loss as to how we never won at Burnley and beat Brighton Saturday. 5 points but I’m gutted it’s not 9.

Everton, Newcastle and Palace to come.

I think we’re stuffed but at least there’s finally some pride to our performances.

I reckon you are clutching at straws a bit mate. You were shocking second half against the blunts and beat Brighton due to a ridiculous refereeing decision and the fact they failed to hit the target with 2 penalties. 

7 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I reckon you are clutching at straws a bit mate. You were shocking second half against the blunts and beat Brighton due to a ridiculous refereeing decision and the fact they failed to hit the target with 2 penalties. 

And our game against United was before we got any of the new additions into the side..

We were fortunate in the second half that Brighton missed two penalties - having said that we missed two sitters in the first half in a half where we were comfortably the better side. I think their second penalty was harsh tbh and justice served that he missed.

The only ridiculous decision Mason made was to allow a quick free kick to be taken when our keeper is lining up his wall. He made the right decision in blowing up again. We just did not need the prolonged farce after it. When was the last time you saw a quick free kick taken like that? 

the notion on social media that Brighton were robbed is for the birds and seems to have clouded many views of the game. 

The record with the new lads in the last 3 games is 3 unbeaten, five points from nine and back to back clean sheets. I’d definitely say that’s getting a tune from us.

No straws being clutched here.

6 hours ago, Liam_Baggies said:

And our game against United was before we got any of the new additions into the side..

We were fortunate in the second half that Brighton missed two penalties - having said that we missed two sitters in the first half in a half where we were comfortably the better side. I think their second penalty was harsh tbh and justice served that he missed.

The only ridiculous decision Mason made was to allow a quick free kick to be taken when our keeper is lining up his wall. He made the right decision in blowing up again. We just did not need the prolonged farce after it. When was the last time you saw a quick free kick taken like that? 

the notion on social media that Brighton were robbed is for the birds and seems to have clouded many views of the game. 

The record with the new lads in the last 3 games is 3 unbeaten, five points from nine and back to back clean sheets. I’d definitely say that’s getting a tune from us.

No straws being clutched here.

The notion that a free kick shouldn't be taken until the defence has everyone in place is wrong in my opinion. The advantage is supposed to be to the attacking team having been infringed upon, not for the defending team to be able to foul a player and then have the opposition wait until they are ready. Once the wall is back 10 yards and the attacking team want to take the set piece they should be allowed to do so.  Mason should never have blown the whistle a second time. 

You had 7 points from 13 under Bilic and it has taken Big Sam until the past week to improve on that rate slightly, had no positive impact whatsoever without the chequebook coming out, which will be too late to keep you up. 

If the keeper chooses to go for a coffee over by the corner flag, serves him right if the opponents stick the ball in the net.

The keeper doesn't have to set up his wall. An outfield player can do that. That the convention has become this is the keeper's job accepts the risk that quick free kick might occur and have consequences.

So, the quick free-kick should've given Brighton the goal

BUT.....

Mason blew his whistle a second time (2 peeps). Typically this a signal by a ref that he thinks something is amiss with a situation. Unfortunately it seems he thought WBA and Johnson weren't ready and wanted to stop things to check. It didn't click in his mind that it doesn't matter if players aren't ready. This was his mistake. But he's done it, and done it before the ball goes over the goal-line, and can't take it back, other than to retake the kick.

The lad needs a rest - I bet all refs do right now the way the schedule of games is being rolled out. Refs don't seem to have any opportunity to use a rotation policy because there aren't enough qualified ones available.