Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

19 minutes ago, Night King said:

What you think of the Salah penalty yesterday? Slightest bit of contact and a clear dive in my opinion. The slow motion replays really don’t help defenders do they? 

Looked like he'd been hit with one of them fireworks that was going off. 

4 hours ago, Night King said:

What you think of the Salah penalty yesterday? Slightest bit of contact and a clear dive in my opinion. The slow motion replays really don’t help defenders do they? 

Even on the slow motion replay it looked ridiculous to me.

There was a slight bit of contact, but nothing major. Salah then planted his foot and chucked himself to the ground.

I suppose the VAR bods would say it wasn't a 'clear and obvious error' due to the fact there was contact, but football is a contact sport. If the ref had watched it back, I doubt he'd have still thought it was a penalty.

7 hours ago, Night King said:

Any player who goes down when, he can stay on his feet is diving.

Yes there’s contact from Masuaku however, Salah plants his foot before falling to the ground. He could have easily have stayed on his feet and, continued his run.

Such acts will only be ironed out when the punishment for simulation is a red card.

if there’s a corner and, the defender brushes past the attacker, jumps for a header and loses it, should it be a penalty because there’s ‘contact’? It’s embarrassing.

The guidance provided by the FA simply states that a foul shall be given if a play ‘impedes an opponent with contact’. Surely 99.9% of officials can look at that and agree that the contact didn’t impede Salah in any way and, was a clear attempt to play the ball?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Any player who goes down when, he can stay on his feet is diving.

Part of the problem is that referees won't give penalties if a player stays on their feet, regardless of whether it's a foul or not. When we were in last in the Prem Gilles De Bilde (IIRC) was kicked across the back of the legs in the box by an Everton player but he managed to stay on his feet. Ref did nothing, despite it being a blatant foul. In an interview afterwards De Bilde said he'd asked the ref why he didn't award a penalty, and the ref simply told him "you stayed on your feet, didn't you?". Twenty years on and nothing's changed.

• Like 1

I just dont think the people who are tasked with amending the rules and the referees applying them actually know football or have ever played it. That challenge on Hojberg in the lead up to Brighton's goal last night is a foul. Just because he slightly grazed the ball with the tip of his boot doesn't mean it's not a foul.