Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

I know a lot of people are not interested in academy football but i've long said that it won't be long before the requirement to have an academy is dropped

Even more power to the big and wealthy to stockpile just about any player they want

Coupled with the drive to allow the loan situation to be way more flexible it just confirms my initial thoughts

This is entirely 100% about making it easy for the big and powerful to run the game at every level unimpeded

The academy system is hopelessly broken but this is no fix whatsoever 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, scram said:

I know a lot of people are not interested in academy football but i've long said that it won't be long before the requirement to have an academy is dropped

Even more power to the big and wealthy to stockpile just about any player they want

Coupled with the drive to allow the loan situation to be way more flexible it just confirms my initial thoughts

This is entirely 100% about making it easy for the big and powerful to run the game at every level unimpeded

The academy system is hopelessly broken but this is no fix whatsoever 

Yes, I noticed that League One and Two teams will no longer have to have academies and clubs will be able to loan up to 15 players domestically. 

So PL clubs can hoover up all the up and coming talent (removing one of the main sources of revenue for lower league sides i.e. selling on talent) and then loan them out on mass to clubs down the pyramid. I mean, it's almost like creating b-teams through the back door. 

• Like 1

I just love the idea of FSG (Liverpool's owners) having a major say over whether another club gets taken over or not. 

So say Wednesday (by some miracle) got promoted and a billionaire decides he fancies taking us over. 

With his level of investment, Wednesday are able to come a force who can compete at the top end of the table (it ain't going to happen, but hypothetically speaking). 

What do you think FSG and the other owners of the top 6 are going to make of that? 

"No, we don't think you will be allowed to take over. Sorry." 

What these American owners want to create is a franchise system similar to that over the pond, where it is even more of a closed shop than it already was. 

Do they get a say over new owners throughout the league or just in the prem? An owner could be worth billions, take a club up and upset their cosy little club. Surely they won't want that. If they get a say in any owner at any level then that's insane. Prem clubs changing hands happens less than league clubs I'd reckon. 

Some very poor decisions yet again in the Prem today. On another note how poor does that Man U starting 11 sound. They need a massive overhaul at that club 

25 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Some very poor decisions yet again in the Prem today. On another note how poor does that Man U starting 11 sound. They need a massive overhaul at that club 

They need to go out and get a proper manager, persisting with OGS is absolute madness. The guy was out of his depth when managing Cardiff, giving him the Man Utd job full time was never going to end well

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

And Liverpool are apparently asking the FA to investigate the decisions made.

And so they should. How the hell does the VAR ref no see Pickford ko Van Dyke?!!

Surely there needs to be some accountability from refs to protect players 

29 minutes ago, Burnsie said:

And so they should. How the hell does the VAR ref no see Pickford ko Van Dyke?!!

Surely there needs to be some accountability from refs to protect players 

No doubt they were on the end of two awful decisions. Just think the idea of asking for an investigation is somewhat frivolous.