Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

On 09/10/2020 at 14:40, EighteenSixty7 said:

Games outside the scheduled televised ones in the Prem will cost £14.95 per game on BT or Sky :laugh: 

Lauaghable from all concerned. 

Genuine question here because I feel like i’m missing something amongst the backlash over this, but how does this differ from what every EFL fan has been having to do since football came back post-lockdown with iFollow?

18 minutes ago, TheGodfather said:

Genuine question here because I feel like i’m missing something amongst the backlash over this, but how does this differ from what every EFL fan has been having to do since football came back post-lockdown with iFollow?

Efl clubs charge a fiver less for a stream and are heavily reliant on gate receipts some of whom wont last until the end of the season if crowds don't return in some capacity. PL clubs don't rely so much on this due to the obscene amounts they get through the TV deals. Charging anything more than £10 is just ripping off fans who won't want to miss their clubs games. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Efl clubs charge a fiver less for a stream and are heavily reliant on gate receipts some of whom wont last until the end of the season if crowds don't return in some capacity. PL clubs don't rely so much on this due to the obscene amounts they get through the TV deals. Charging anything more than £10 is just ripping off fans who won't want to miss their clubs games. 

They’ve had all summer to figure this out as well. Instead, four games in, they’ve now decided to charge for something that they were previously showing for no additional cost on top of Sky/BT subscription.

Apparently it wouldn’t be viable for PL clubs to set up something like ifollow whilst Sky & BT have a ready product. Bizarre considering the status of the clubs in the FL who can, as well as the three promoted clubs who did with ease. This is the same organisation who arranged a £5m whip round for Scudamore’s leaving present.

In the next few weeks our games against Pigs, WBA and Palace are all box office. £45 to watch three televised games, one of which is Monday at 5:30pm. I won’t be paying. 

• Like 3

Interesting piece in today’s Telegraph. Rick Parry (remind me what club he used to run ) apparently on board with plan to reduce PL to 18 teams, EFL to remain at 72. Scrap League Cup and reduce play off spots from 4 to 3 and allowing 3rd bottom in PL the chance to stay up via playoffs. In return EFL get a £250m bailout from PL

Edited by Essix Blue

21 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Interesting piece in today’s Telegraph. Rick Parry (remind me what club he used to run ) apparently on board with plan to reduce PL to 18 teams, EFL to remain at 72. Scrap League Cup and reduce play off spots from 4 to 3 and allowing 3rd bottom in PL the chance to stay up via playoffs. In return EFL get a £250m bailout from PL

Some of the proposals appear quite positive. The worrying part is the changing of the golden share and the idea that all the power will be in the hands of the big clubs

27 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Selling the EFL cheap again. Surely the price starts £1bn or the 2 premier League teams left out need to find themselves new leagues to play in. 

Rather than put  two league 2 clubs effectively out of business, rather do this on our terms than be blackmailed to fit in with the latest PL plan for the 'top' clubs to hoard a greater share of money.

Why not open up to a fair vote of all 92 clubs, each with a vote of equal say. It's not just for 20 teams to dictate the structure of a league system involving 72 other teams, who would be impacted to a potentially greater degree. 

21 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The one that made me laugh (through the anger) was this top 9 clubs getting to vote on the prospective owners of other clubs.

I mean, that's not even slightly dodgy...

Parry apparently agreeing to it leaves a rather nasty taste imo.....

Anyone would think the ex Liverpool CEO got himself the top job in the EFL just for this moment...........

5 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Parry apparently agreeing to it leaves a rather nasty taste imo.....

Anyone would think the ex Liverpool CEO got himself the top job in the EFL just for this moment...........

Oh, apparently the whole thing was Parry's idea...

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/story/4205701/man-unitedliverpool-back-radical-efl-overhaul-plan-sources?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Words fail me. 

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It’s no surprise tho. It’s been coming for a while - they’ve just chosen a very opportune moment to leak the story. 

9 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

It’s no surprise tho. It’s been coming for a while - they’ve just chosen a very opportune moment to leak the story. 

Be interesting to know who recommended Parry for the job given his past. 

I know a lot of people are not interested in academy football but i've long said that it won't be long before the requirement to have an academy is dropped

Even more power to the big and wealthy to stockpile just about any player they want

Coupled with the drive to allow the loan situation to be way more flexible it just confirms my initial thoughts

This is entirely 100% about making it easy for the big and powerful to run the game at every level unimpeded

The academy system is hopelessly broken but this is no fix whatsoever 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scram said:

I know a lot of people are not interested in academy football but i've long said that it won't be long before the requirement to have an academy is dropped

Even more power to the big and wealthy to stockpile just about any player they want

Coupled with the drive to allow the loan situation to be way more flexible it just confirms my initial thoughts

This is entirely 100% about making it easy for the big and powerful to run the game at every level unimpeded

The academy system is hopelessly broken but this is no fix whatsoever 

Yes, I noticed that League One and Two teams will no longer have to have academies and clubs will be able to loan up to 15 players domestically. 

So PL clubs can hoover up all the up and coming talent (removing one of the main sources of revenue for lower league sides i.e. selling on talent) and then loan them out on mass to clubs down the pyramid. I mean, it's almost like creating b-teams through the back door. 

• Like 1

I just love the idea of FSG (Liverpool's owners) having a major say over whether another club gets taken over or not. 

So say Wednesday (by some miracle) got promoted and a billionaire decides he fancies taking us over. 

With his level of investment, Wednesday are able to come a force who can compete at the top end of the table (it ain't going to happen, but hypothetically speaking). 

What do you think FSG and the other owners of the top 6 are going to make of that? 

"No, we don't think you will be allowed to take over. Sorry." 

What these American owners want to create is a franchise system similar to that over the pond, where it is even more of a closed shop than it already was.