Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

What a performance by Spurs and Villa.

The defending and goalkeeping of Man utd and Liverpool will come in for stick, but some of the quality both sides showed was out of this world.

Whether it is because Bale is breathing down his neck or not, but Kane looks unstoppable so far this season.  His movement, passing, crossing and finishing has been unreal.   Son also looks unstoppable.  If Spurs keep those two fit and playing like that, they have a hell of a chance of winning the league this season - and they have Bale to come into that team.

As for Villa - Jack Grealish - what a footballer.  I have no idea how you defend against a player in that sort of form.  He has absolutely everything - fast, creative, unbelievable feet.  

• Like 1

This is one of the most pathetic things I've seen for a while. Evra 'breaking down' and getting 'very emotional' because his beloved Man Utd have started badly. Get over yourself and join the rest of the football world that has that most seasons. X Factor levels of fake trauma. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

This is one of the most pathetic things I've seen for a while. Evra 'breaking down' and getting 'very emotional' because his beloved Man Utd have started badly. Get over yourself and join the rest of the football world that has that most seasons. X Factor levels of fake trauma. 

Unprofessional beyond belief. That talk about quitting sky sports, WTF was he on? Get a grip son and do your job. Show a little passion yes but you don’t see Gary Neville acting like that and he has far more invested into the club 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, scram said:

Academy products

Where trivialities like being able to actually defend are seen as old fashioned and irrelevant - players need to be able to pick a pass and do a stepover these days...

I've always thought Maquire was a useless lump - similarly Stones. Both are atrocious defenders

If a defender cannot defend (and neither of the aforementioned can) then they are a burden on their own team

Similarly with England - i'm still f*cked off about us losing to an extremely mediocre Croatia team in the WC - and i said then(got negged to death for it) that all those praising our "plucky losers" would rue the time we were given almost a bye to the final - and still blew it!

Where were our problems in that tournament?

Central defence

Cos our central defenders are trash - man U captain or Man C big signing regardless

Both those clubs suffered for the incompetence of those players - and still do

I honestly (genuinely) believe you could put Van Aken in either Utd or City's team and he'd do no worse - he may even look more at home because he can undoubtedly play football adeptly

He just cannot defend

But he can spot and execute a pass beautifully

Mate, everyone doing flips and twists about England at the WC was ridiculous . Stones and Maguire scored a couple of headers - that does not make you a world class defender. 

Stone's error record for Man City and England was outrageous.  The myth was that at least he could play from the back. No he couldn't - he just thought he could and kept losing the ball in dangerous positions.

Maguire was a big lump who got the run the run around from Chris O'Grady in the derby games when he was just starting out. He hasn't improved much from then in my eyes.

Also, bit off topic, but me and my football watching mates also hold the opinion that Harry Kane was bang average in the WC, never played that well and earned a cheap golden boot. That's two tournaments he hasn't been ' Premier League' Harry Kane. 

Anyway, on to this Premier League season..I genuinely think someone like Everton will win it. The results we are seeing are down to sides struggling for motivation - playing in an empty stadium after a very short break. There's no ' home and away' advantage.  It looks like there is a bit of ' burn out', and maybe the obvious real life worry/ distractions we all have. Just because they get paid £100'000 pw it doesn't mean they don't worry about the health of family and friends.

The teams doing well are maybe training differently and being motivated by coaches better. Difficult to say.

It will be a crazy season that's for sure. In a week Leicester have gone from knocking 5 past Man City to losing 3 -0 at home to West Ham. That has to be down to attitude and preparation.

In the words of the great sage Clinton Morrison on Sky   " If you aint at it, you is gonna get done "  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tbf, I'm all for the madness.

The last few seasons have been dull as dish water, with City and then Liverpool been pretty much unstoppable for three or so seasons now. 

The days where the champions would drop points and lose say 4 to 6 games were so much more interesting as a neutral fan.

16 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

The other week I think I posted how phenomenal Trent AA looked after that first half against Chelsea where they looked incredible. Tonight he looked like a Sunday parks footballer. Weird fucking season.

World class going forward, sometimes he looks like League Two level defensively. 

How often does he really have to defend? You know, like properly battle it out? Can't be too often and when he is in that situation he looks all over the place. 

Don't think he has any real defensive instincts. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, SiJ said:

World class going forward, sometimes he looks like League Two level defensively. 

How often does he really have to defend? You know, like properly battle it out? Can't be too often and when he is in that situation he looks all over the place. 

Don't think he has any real defensive instincts. 

I think he struggles without being told what to do and where to be. He can defend but you're right it isn't natural for him. Yesterday there was no Alisson and no Henderson. Plus Gomez looked way off where he was a year ago and Van Dijk looked drunk, absolute shambles.

8 hours ago, mcmigo said:

What a performance by Spurs and Villa.

The defending and goalkeeping of Man utd and Liverpool will come in for stick, but some of the quality both sides showed was out of this world.

Whether it is because Bale is breathing down his neck or not, but Kane looks unstoppable so far this season.  His movement, passing, crossing and finishing has been unreal.   Son also looks unstoppable.  If Spurs keep those two fit and playing like that, they have a hell of a chance of winning the league this season - and they have Bale to come into that team.

As for Villa - Jack Grealish - what a footballer.  I have no idea how you defend against a player in that sort of form.  He has absolutely everything - fast, creative, unbelievable feet.  

Grealish seems to be a bit of a prat.

But yep...he is a proper proper player.

I'm surprised he is still at Villa tbh.

54 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

Arsenal getting rid of Gunnersaurus might just be the most pathetic story during football Covid. First the furloughing/redundancies and now this. fizz off. Hope they get dicked week in week out. 

Ridiculous. 

Deemed no longer necessary due to fans not being in the ground.

It is still necessary to pay players like Ozil who are surplus to requirements hundreds of thousands a week though.

Surely they could get the mascot to do some social media stuff, how much can the possibly save by binning off the mascot?

7 hours ago, trev said:

Grealish seems to be a bit of a prat.

But yep...he is a proper proper player.

I'm surprised he is still at Villa tbh.

Hometown legend instead of a standard issue mercenary at the tired list of 4 clubs

On Sunday, I’m sure Graeme Souness accidentally called Harry Maguire, Harry McNally for some reason. 

I’m starting to wonder if he’s getting a bit stressed out... and his false teeth seem to be causing him an issue more than usual. 

West Ham fans though lol 

They've just put 3 past Leicester and, 4 past Wolves the previous week but, it’s never good enough!

Could they do with another defender? Probably. Will it make or break their season? Absolutely not.

Moyes has come in and, got them doing the fundamentals right. They were in imperious form towards the back end of last season and, have started relatively well this year.

They need to be careful of what they wish for. The pigs have spent 110m over the last 2 years and, look no better this year than they did last.