Official Premier League 2020/21 Thread

TheEnchanter

Thing is, Liverpool have one class world defender in terms of actual defending which is Virgil.

Trent and Robertson are fantastic going forward, but like a lot of modern fullbacks they don't really like defending. 

Gomez isn't that good. Solid, but nowhere near world class.

Alisson is top class, but Adrian is poor.

Get at them with that high line and this Liverpool can struggle.

58 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Thing is, Liverpool have one class world defender in terms of actual defending which is Virgil.

Trent and Robertson are fantastic going forward, but like a lot of modern fullbacks they don't really like defending. 

Gomez isn't that good. Solid, but nowhere near world class.

Alisson is top class, but Adrian is poor.

Get at them with that high line and this Liverpool can struggle.

Academy products

Where trivialities like being able to actually defend are seen as old fashioned and irrelevant - players need to be able to pick a pass and do a stepover these days...

I've always thought Maquire was a useless lump - similarly Stones. Both are atrocious defenders

If a defender cannot defend (and neither of the aforementioned can) then they are a burden on their own team

Similarly with England - i'm still f*cked off about us losing to an extremely mediocre Croatia team in the WC - and i said then(got negged to death for it) that all those praising our "plucky losers" would rue the time we were given almost a bye to the final - and still blew it!

Where were our problems in that tournament?

Central defence

Cos our central defenders are trash - man U captain or Man C big signing regardless

Both those clubs suffered for the incompetence of those players - and still do

I honestly (genuinely) believe you could put Van Aken in either Utd or City's team and he'd do no worse - he may even look more at home because he can undoubtedly play football adeptly

He just cannot defend

But he can spot and execute a pass beautifully

• Like 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Bizarre results recently. 

Don’t think I like it. Without fans and stupid score lines just seems like a glorified training game. 

You didn't enjoy Man U and Liverpool getting absolutely d*cked today? 

Are you on crack? 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

You didn't enjoy Man U and Liverpool getting absolutely d*cked today? 

Are you on crack? 

Enjoyed watching it but doesn’t seem right. Just doesn’t seem like football to me. It’s like watching a training game, just can’t take it seriously without the crowds. 

These couple of seasons will always have an asterisk next to them. Sooner fans come back in the better. 

What a performance by Spurs and Villa.

The defending and goalkeeping of Man utd and Liverpool will come in for stick, but some of the quality both sides showed was out of this world.

Whether it is because Bale is breathing down his neck or not, but Kane looks unstoppable so far this season.  His movement, passing, crossing and finishing has been unreal.   Son also looks unstoppable.  If Spurs keep those two fit and playing like that, they have a hell of a chance of winning the league this season - and they have Bale to come into that team.

As for Villa - Jack Grealish - what a footballer.  I have no idea how you defend against a player in that sort of form.  He has absolutely everything - fast, creative, unbelievable feet.  

• Like 1

This is one of the most pathetic things I've seen for a while. Evra 'breaking down' and getting 'very emotional' because his beloved Man Utd have started badly. Get over yourself and join the rest of the football world that has that most seasons. X Factor levels of fake trauma. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

This is one of the most pathetic things I've seen for a while. Evra 'breaking down' and getting 'very emotional' because his beloved Man Utd have started badly. Get over yourself and join the rest of the football world that has that most seasons. X Factor levels of fake trauma. 

Unprofessional beyond belief. That talk about quitting sky sports, WTF was he on? Get a grip son and do your job. Show a little passion yes but you don’t see Gary Neville acting like that and he has far more invested into the club 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, scram said:

Academy products

Where trivialities like being able to actually defend are seen as old fashioned and irrelevant - players need to be able to pick a pass and do a stepover these days...

I've always thought Maquire was a useless lump - similarly Stones. Both are atrocious defenders

If a defender cannot defend (and neither of the aforementioned can) then they are a burden on their own team

Similarly with England - i'm still f*cked off about us losing to an extremely mediocre Croatia team in the WC - and i said then(got negged to death for it) that all those praising our "plucky losers" would rue the time we were given almost a bye to the final - and still blew it!

Where were our problems in that tournament?

Central defence

Cos our central defenders are trash - man U captain or Man C big signing regardless

Both those clubs suffered for the incompetence of those players - and still do

I honestly (genuinely) believe you could put Van Aken in either Utd or City's team and he'd do no worse - he may even look more at home because he can undoubtedly play football adeptly

He just cannot defend

But he can spot and execute a pass beautifully

Mate, everyone doing flips and twists about England at the WC was ridiculous . Stones and Maguire scored a couple of headers - that does not make you a world class defender. 

Stone's error record for Man City and England was outrageous.  The myth was that at least he could play from the back. No he couldn't - he just thought he could and kept losing the ball in dangerous positions.

Maguire was a big lump who got the run the run around from Chris O'Grady in the derby games when he was just starting out. He hasn't improved much from then in my eyes.

Also, bit off topic, but me and my football watching mates also hold the opinion that Harry Kane was bang average in the WC, never played that well and earned a cheap golden boot. That's two tournaments he hasn't been ' Premier League' Harry Kane. 

Anyway, on to this Premier League season..I genuinely think someone like Everton will win it. The results we are seeing are down to sides struggling for motivation - playing in an empty stadium after a very short break. There's no ' home and away' advantage.  It looks like there is a bit of ' burn out', and maybe the obvious real life worry/ distractions we all have. Just because they get paid £100'000 pw it doesn't mean they don't worry about the health of family and friends.

The teams doing well are maybe training differently and being motivated by coaches better. Difficult to say.

It will be a crazy season that's for sure. In a week Leicester have gone from knocking 5 past Man City to losing 3 -0 at home to West Ham. That has to be down to attitude and preparation.

In the words of the great sage Clinton Morrison on Sky   " If you aint at it, you is gonna get done "  

• Haha 2